cooking thread...

A hard days work deserve a hardy meal. Sauteed onions, red peppers, garlic and spinach with a couple of whisked eggs added in at the last minute, pork and beans, buttered toast and a couple of BBQ'd pork chops...... Good night all!

12313679_1543813875879341_50282376599655

A hard days work deserve a hardy meal. Sauteed onions, red peppers, garlic and spinach with a couple of whisked eggs added in at the last minute, pork and beans, buttered toast and a couple of BBQ'd pork chops...... Good night all!

12313679_1543813875879341_50282376599655

And after a few beers???

Looks great!

I gotta get some more spinach, love it. Oh and kale too lol

• 2 weeks later...

So I got the Bradley 2 rack digital smoker, its a decent little unit, I was having some issues with it shutting off on me in the morning for some reason so the ribs I started at 11 I wasn't sure how they were going to turn out! I ended up doing a 3-2-1 method for them, 3 hours wrapped in aluminum lightly and covered in bbq sauce and let them smoke at around 230 fahrenheit, though when I came out sometime it was down around 140 so I was getting skeptical, I took them out of the smoker, re sauced and double wrapped tightly and into the oven at 225 for 2 hours. After that, straight into the smoker with some holes in each end and an hour of that and I ended up with some delicious, fall off the bone ribs!

IMG_20151225_165316_4.jpg

I can only open this thread after I've eaten the better part of a turkey. Now that I have a new laptop and I've signed up to one of those photo services in outer space I might learn how to store and post pics in the future. Lobster bisque? Man with the price of burger meatloaf is a luxury meal now. It sure looks yummy.

M2B2, ketchup in a meatball? I might need to try it.

A tip when making meatballs, don't make them round. They should be egg shape, oblong. They are easier to flip when cooking and will cook more evenly. Italian meatballs "Propetti" are egg shaped and really don't have much meat in them. 60% veggies, mostly mashed Zucchini. (spellcheck says Zuccini has an "H" in it, there isn't an H in the Italian language. No J, K, W , X and Y. I digress as usual.

I can only open this thread after I've eaten the better part of a turkey. Now that I have a new laptop and I've signed up to one of those photo services in outer space I might learn how to store and post pics in the future. Lobster bisque? Man with the price of burger meatloaf is a luxury meal now. It sure looks yummy.

M2B2, ketchup in a meatball? I might need to try it.

A tip when making meatballs, don't make them round. They should be egg shape, oblong. They are easier to flip when cooking and will cook more evenly. Italian meatballs "Propetti" are egg shaped and really don't have much meat in them. 60% veggies, mostly mashed Zucchini. (spellcheck says Zuccini has an "H" in it, there isn't an H in the Italian language. No J, K, W , X and Y. I digress as usual.

Digress all you want, I learn a LOT from you and I am very THANKFUL for it.

Doug

Hey thanks Doug and Rick.

Rick, I was thinking the Catsup might add too much sugar to the meatball. I'm thinking Swedish meatballs this week, for some reason I took out a large package of ground round from the freezer the other day. Not thinking about all the leftovers we would have this week. I can never cook for the 2 of us, I made Brodetto for Christmas eve. It's seafood tomato sauce served with Spagettini, angel hair (cappelini) or Polenta. I made enough for an army as my Momma says. I didn't make the polenta from scratch because I'm lazy but cut a few slices from the pre made stuff in a tube then browned it in a pan with some EVO. Not bad. I wrote out the recipe here many, many pages ago I think. I will again of someone wants it. There is the big $$$ recipe and the lower budget recipe without Crab and Lobster. The taste is basically the same, I dare anyone to tell the diff without looking. Of course since it was only going to be the 2 of us I got a small bird for today, 10 pounds. I have 2 large freezer bags of bird left over. We usually have family and we always invite someone that doesn't have family and is alone but this year for the first time in my life it was only 2 of us. Strange but great day, Ticha works retail and her Christmas season starts Oct. 1. She only had today off so I made everything including breakfast and did all the dishes. She said it was the best ever present I could have given her. She should have told me that the year I took her to Jamaica on Boxing Day.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Another sleepless night here M2B2. You probably make Polenta from scratch. If I did I might get enough exercise to sleep.

Gnocchi and noodles, together? Kind of like Penne and Spagets in the same dish or serving French Fries and mashed potatoes at the same meal, that I don't get. No wonder Mom gave you la mala occhio. How can there be an "H" in Gnocchi when I was taught that there is no "H" in the Italian language. My Nono was never wrong, never. I just pulled out my Italian/English Berlitz I've had since my first trip to the boot in 81 and there isn't a section for "H". I should use the thing when I try and remember how to spell something in Italian.

edit, OK what is Kokum? I bet you know more of the First Nations language than most real deal DNA First Nation kids around us down here. By the way what dialect is used up there in the Artic watershed, mostly Mohawk and Oneida here I'm told.

He was wrong, I went through the book a bit and there are words with "H", Granchio is Crab. I was wrong, so was Nono, I just can't believe it.

Edited by Old Ironmaker