Chronic Pain VS Altitude Help Please

FLEX ROD

Many years ago, 20 to be precise, I was involved in an MVA that resulted in me having a crushed and shattered right calcaneus ( heel ) to the point that I had to have a triple fusion on the foot, with the end result being that I live with chronic pain.

After too many surgeries, and seeing all of the top orthopedic surgeons and every drug known to man kind due to the chronic pain I have now been on disability for the past 5 years.

The only thing that I have found to help me is Altitude / Elevation, I am blessed from the fact that I have family in Europe in a location that is around 830meters but Europe is a bit far to travel to on a regular basis so I have been researching areas closer to home that have highr altitude than Toronto.

Over the holidays my wife and I went and checked out the Lake Placid area in New York State which is around 550meters and once again the relief was dramatic and it only took about 12 hours after we arrived for me to feel the difference.

Once again I am resurching and found out that Sudbury is around 350meters, so due to the scale of economics as I am a father of 2 University students, I have to go and see if this could be a solution for me.

What I need help with is two fold, one being any info on an economic, reasonable / cheap place to stay for a week or two to see if 350meters will still have any affect, and the second would be any suggestions on fishing in this region.

If I am going to be in the Sudbury Region, I really would need to keep myself occupied and if that involves fishing than I would be much happier as over the years due to the pain my life consists of minimal, poor sleep and spending 90% of my time infront of the television.

I am NOT looking for any specific details on honey holes, the fishing would just be a major bonus, but any help with finding accomidations would really be greatly appreciated as I am really desparte.

As for time lines, the sooner the better as once again the past two days have been living hell for me, if this would be an option then I would defenitly look at leasing, renting some thing for a long term period.

Sorry for the long winded message, any and all info is greatly appreciated, PLEASE!!!

Thank You, FLEX aka John

My wife deals with the same issue. Part of it for her is moisture/dampness. Hate to say it, but when we leave Ontario, she quite often feels much better. Our last trip out west (Okanagan) was great. She was actually able to function daily, which is unusual to say the least.

Never thought about the Altitude - but maybe that is also why she felt good.

Another area I have heard about in Ontario though - but never investigated - is Elliot Lake. Known a couple with other health issues, that went away when they moved there.

Ok, first of all, think about renting outside of Sudbury proper, smaller places like Noelville and you can rent a nice little appartment very reasonably.

Second, fishing in the area is fantastic with plenty of lakes to choose from. Once you decide on where you are going to be staying let me know. Both my son and son-in-law love fishing and know plenty of spots that they would be happy to show you.

email me @ [email protected] once you decide on where you are going to stay and I'll hook you up.

No problem biguli, I know I have had the same problem as things are posted both ways and one really has to dig.

RAF, you have just given me an option that for whatever reason I have missed, that really is exciting, now I can look into seeing if this is strictly an altitude issue or if it is an altitude + humidity combination deal.

None the less my fingers will be working over time today to see what I can find, many thanks.

FLEX

no problem Flex, hope it works out whatever you decide with. Dundalk is the highest point in southern ontario, many of the rivers originate in the area (saugeen flowing north, grand flowing south) and only about 100-120 kms from downtown TO.

Thank you all, I really cant thank you guys enough for the feed back.

Today seems to be a day for towns with names starting with the letter D, I have two options now Dundalk @ 525 ND Dundtroon which is coming in @ 326.

Time to dig and see if it is the altitude or the combo deal of altitude and humidity.

Many thanks, FLEX

The only other thing I would say RE: moisture/humidity. When we have to go to areas close to Sea Water - it does not impact my wife the same. For instance she also felt better in Vancouver, which has high humidity. We were out there as part of an experiment as well (plus it was also our 15th). Friend of mine moved out there, for pain reasons, and has felt much better. I was looking at it for Allergies, as most who live around Salt Water don't have them.

As she gets older, the issues get worse. Winter is really bad - though this year seems to be a little better. But any time there is a weather change - she can go downhill fast.

Reminds of one other thing - Barometric Pressure. I researched Arizona as some have mentioned it as possible location - one thing for that area is the Barometric Pressure hardly ever changes, and when it does it is gradual. We saw the same thing in Vancouver/Okanagan. In Ontario the pressure can change both rapidly & often, which I suspect is the biggest issue.

My wife will often know weather is changing - up to 2 days before it does. She can feel it coming - which is always a bad thing. It is usually related to going from High Pressure to Low, though we have not really tracked it.

Edited by Tupelo

I have dealt with chronic pain for many years. I have never been told by the multitude of Dr's I have seen elevation would help, otherwise I would have moved many years ago. Humidity yes but not geographical elevation. Where, who has told you this? Very interesting. I hear what you are going through.

Many thanks to one and for the reply.

Old Ironmaker, the Dr's are not interested in thinking outside of the box for solutions, This altitude connection I found by accident through general travel as soon as the plane gets high enough couple of hours later I start feeling much better, but really in 2013 we went to Europe, and we were in high area 835meters and I started to see the difference, so last year I went back spent a month travelling and I specifically planed the trip so I had major difference in the altitude and kept a daily blog so I documented each day and my pain went from my normal 10++++ to almost non existent, in my wife's home town I went down to about 1.5 maybe a 2. The family saw the transformation and could not believe it, by the 4th day I was actually walking by the 7th day I was able to actually walk for the first time in many many years walk with no cane.

Stairs that I do not do at all really at home I was doing 2 at a time!!!!!

So this is not a theory, this I have confirmed and I have it all documented, I have spoken to 4 doctors about this and really the only thing that they have told me is that it is interesting, I am trying to find some one who could do some king of study as theit really is some thing here and if we could find out how to channel this hopefully this could help other people.

As I have been living with this for 20 years it really is getting worse by the day and considering I am only54 I hate the thought of what it will be like in 10 years or so.

FLEX

I for one have zero issues believing this. Whenever joints/soft tissue are damaged, modern medicine does their best to put it back together - but it is never right again. I remember that from the Dr. explaining the jaw damage my wife sustained. Basically her jaw was split in half at the front, and the right joint where it attaches to the skull was crushed. (along with a broken neck) - to look at her, it looks fine. But the Dr. said it was 80%, which was the best he could do.

Having seen her deal with this - and going through the ups/downs, you do start to look for solutions outside of Medicine, because it cannot address it. It is also true that while pain medication does work (somewhat & sometimes), it is not an ideal solution, and one that if it could be dropped, would.

All I can say is - if you have noticed a difference when altitude changes, you are most likely not imaging it. And be assured it is not "all in your head" as some might suggest (both Doctors and others) - people can be well meaning - but also incredibly senseless. To be fair - it is hard to relate unless it has happened to them, but I would not wish it on anyone, just so they could "understand".

it would be interesting to know if acclimatization would have an effect on this.

There is 100% proof in the fact that altitude has a multitude of effects on the human body.

My concern would be that after a months time the effects that you feel at first subside once your body has acclimatized.

In march i spent a week in Jasper AB and spent the week splitboarding (climbing mountains on ski's with skins) with my cousin who lives there. The effects that i experienced on my respiratory system were astonishing. I can only imagine the changes that were occuring in my body over the week that i spent.

I trained extremely hard at sea level at the gym 6 days a week leading up to the trip for 3 months straight, and was quickly humbled when climbing at 10,000+ft

in the opposite perspective, upon my return to sea level i went to the gym and easily put up a personal best time on the same treadmill i had been training on 2 weeks prior.

The problem was that the super human abilities I had attained from exercising at extreme altitude completely subsided after a weeks time re-acclimatizing. I would worry that you may experience the same thing. I would really hope to spend an extended amount of time in a location before moving to ensure the effects are lasting.

Edited by AKRISONER

AKRISONER, you have hit on a point that I have thought about and yes I do plan on testing that theory out as soon as possible, have a place in Italy that is @ the 835 meter mark, that we will be restoring soon I hope so that will involve me going there for an extended time, I am looking at maybe 3 - 4 months or as long as I can stay away from the family.

That is why I am also trying to see what options are closer to home, that is why the suggestion of Dundalk, Flesherton, Markdale are all very interesting so now its just to find some accommodations so I can go and test it out.

Great point, Thanks

FLEX

Hey John, if you're thinking of a trip to Sudbury soon, consider Elliot Lake instead. Nice little town, very scenic, lots of great lodges that are open year round and great ice fishing. Elevation after a quick check is within 20 metres of Sudbury's.

I stayed at Wilderness Lodge on Mount Lake a few years ago ice fishing and it was great. Dunlop Lake Lodge is also a nice place from what I've heard. Beyond those two I'm sure there's other options if you dig a little bit.

Thanks Mike, but with the new info on Dundalk being 525meters that really has peaked my interest so now I am looking to see what I can find in a decent rental.

Any suggestions?

Thanks John

Not really a winter destination. Lots of nice trout streams though if you go in May.