Where is it please

Big Cliff

You going to build one?

I'm thinking on it, it would be ideal for me living right on the lake. Anyone got two old sleds with the tracks and suspension in reasonable shape that they need a home for?

I've already got a line on a lawn tractor for the drive train.

Who you going to get to insure it?

Well, since it is basically a lawn tractor with tracks I'm not sure that a license and insurance would be necessary, I think my liability insurance would cover me for damage to anyone elses property.

Feedback from those that know would be appreciated.

I'm thinking on it, it would be ideal for me living right on the lake. Anyone got two old sleds with the tracks and suspension in reasonable shape that they need a home for?

I've already got a line on a lawn tractor for the drive train.

Well, since it is basically a lawn tractor with tracks I'm not sure that a license and insurance would be necessary, I think my liability insurance would cover me for damage to anyone elses property.

Feedback from those that know would be appreciated.

M

Cliff that is why I posted the link, I could see you doing something like that! :)

Cliff

You run a small engine repair business, don't you? If so you could get a service plate to hang on any off road vehicle and you'd be covered. I have one here at the shop and until I got my 50 Chevy completed, I drove all over the place with that plate. It's meant to allow people in the repair of an unplated vehicle to legally drive where plates are required; supposedly for the purpose of road testing and I've been on some pretty long road tests. LOL.

As for insurance the plate is insured and it covers whatever vehicle you hand it on.

Dan.

I found this on e-law; it's in regards to service plates and off road vehicles.

10. (1) Dealer and Service permits and number plates may be issued to manufacturers of or dealers in off-road vehicles or to persons engaged in the business of repairing, customizing, modifying or transporting off-road vehicles. R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 863, s. 10 (1).

(2) A Dealer and Service number plate may be used only,

(a) on a vehicle in the possession of the person to whom the corresponding permit was issued; and

(for purposes related to the sale, repair, customization or modification of the vehicle on which it is used or, in the case of a person engaged in the business of transporting vehicles, for purposes of transporting the vehicles. R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 863, s. 10 (2).

(3) The Dealer and Service number plate for an off-road vehicle,

(a) with three or less wheels, shall be securely mounted in a conspicuous position on the front of the vehicle; or

( with more than three wheels, shall be securely mounted in a conspicuous position on the rear of the vehicle. R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 863, s. 10 (3).

Dan, thank you so much!

Just got confirmation that I have the lawn tractor :whistling: Now all I need is to find a couple of scrapped sleds.

:)

There a place called JTs in New Lowell, 1800- 465-5668 parts @jtsnowmovile.com

They are just north west of Angus. he has a huge yard full of sleds for parts.

There a place called JTs in New Lowell, 1800- 465-5668 parts @jtsnowmovile.com

They are just north west of Angus. he has a huge yard full of sleds for parts.

Super, I'll give them a call today!

Just a suggestion Cliff. I'd maybe look for a couple sleds with steel tunnels. May make it easier to be able to weld to the framework if you need to.

Great idea Bernie, thanks!

With tracks and a ski I believe you'll find it falls under a motorized snow vehicle.

Defination under MSVA: “motorized snow vehicle” means a self-propelled vehicle designed to be driven primarily on snow.

I doubt the aurguement ice is not snow won't fly.

Edited by Woodsman

No Worries Cliff.

If need be I have a tig welder here at the shop and my son can do a nice job of welding aluminum; me I end up with a puddle on the floor that doesn't look anything like what I started with, LOL

Wait till Wayne see this; he'll be telling us to rivet it; like they do on airplanes. LOL

Dan.

With tracks and a ski I believe you'll find it falls under a motorized snow vehicle.

Defination under MSVA: “motorized snow vehicle” means a self-propelled vehicle designed to be driven primarily on snow.

I doubt the aurguement ice is not snow won't fly.

OK, just to really have some fun with it, i'll put some stubby wings on it and tell them it's an experimental aircraft prototype I'm working on. That will really mess them up LOL.

No Worries Cliff.

If need be I have a tig welder here at the shop and my son can do a nice job of welding aluminum; me I end up with a puddle on the floor that doesn't look anything like what I started with, LOL

Wait till Wayne see this; he'll be telling us to rivet it; like they do on airplanes. LOL

Dan.

Thanks Dan, boy could we have fun if you lived closer LOL.

Hey, maybe I can get Wayne to build me a set of stubby retractable wings :whistling:

OK, just to really have some fun with it, i'll put some stubby wings on it and tell them it's an experimental aircraft prototype I'm working on. That will really mess them up LOL.

Thanks Dan, boy could we have fun if you lived closer LOL.

Hey, maybe I can get Wayne to build me a set of stubby retractable wings :whistling:

Good luck with that approach.

If I do that for you Cliff... it will cost you about $2000 to get through the MDRA inspection program.. $250 to Transport Canada for your C of A and C-GXXX markings and you have to carry liability insurance! :jerry:

Get an ownership for one of the tracks / tunnels you buy Cliff... and just go pay the 15 bucks for the sled sticker (and $6 to transfer) and if the tunnel comes from an old beater sled you'll pay less than 200 bucks a year to be insured. Don't ever show the insurer a picture of the sled though..... :whistling:

If I do that for you Cliff... it will cost you about $2000 to get through the MDRA inspection program.. $250 to Transport Canada for your C of A and C-GXXX markings and you have to carry liability insurance! :jerry:

Get an ownership for one of the tracks / tunnels you buy Cliff... and just go pay the 15 bucks for the sled sticker (and $6 to transfer) and if the tunnel comes from an old beater sled you'll pay less than 200 bucks a year to be insured. Don't ever show the insurer a picture of the sled though..... :whistling:

Plan "B" it is then, it's a sled :angel: