Glory Days Back!! - 8 & 6lb Kawartha Walleye today! - pics

Slayingm

I just can't believe what I'm experiencing on most the Kawartha lakes the past couple of weeks. We are catching incredible numbers of fish in all size classes and I just returned from taking a client out on Buckhorn and we caught a Walleye pushing 8lbs and another 6. Both of these incredible females were promptly released after a quick photo. We caught all our fish today working deep weedlines (11-12') focussing on areas were both cabbage and millfoil weed was present. All fish were taken on 1/4oz jig heads with various minnow and twister plastic trailers. Surface temps are in the low 70's right now and the absolute best time of the year to be out for the prized Walleye's.

It would appear that the Zebra mussel population has leveled off or on th decline and the fishing reminds me of that experienced 20yrs ago.... here's hoping the its a sign of the times!

000_0300-25.jpg

000_0299-5.jpg

000_0296-5.jpg

Take care and Good Fish'n.... Greg.

Edited by Slayingm

Man those are beautiful fish. They look soooo clean and healthy. It's great that in your description you included what they were caught on and where. Thanks. It's also great to hear someone as experienced as yourself (notice I didn't say old LOL) speaking optomistically about the future of fishing. Gives newbies like me some hope.

RIGHT ON.. :clapping: ...well done greg,those are true kawartha trophys for sure,glad you released those big hens to do thier thing once again in the spring....and your client must have been in heaven for a while,great report and awesome pics too. :w00t: ...thanks for sharing....cheers :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

Nice fish Greg. I saw a beauty caught on the Otonabee River yesterday morning and have been hearing the last two years have been great on Rice. Nice to see a come back and it will be even nicer to see the limits change the one over 18" rule as well. It should help even more for a better fishery in the end. Now if we could just get the mnr off there backsides and get the new regs out.

Edited by Smokey

Guest Johnny Bass

Excellant Report Greg!! I too have noticed an increase in pickeral catches when I am not even targetting them!

Though I have a feeling pickeral populations are about to decline rapidly....

I have now become a meat eater and pickeral are my target. I've already had a few fish fries. :thumbsup_anim:

Pickerals beware.

as always a top notch and envious report, good to see your into the bigguns and I'll be out on sturgeon most of the weekend may see ya out there.

Ecmilley: Trust you got into them on Sturgeon and had a great day.... I was on Tri-lakes and did very with some other big fish in the 2 to 5lb class..... I'm sure we will run into each other out there one day... if you see a 19' blue Stratos with a 175HP Evinrude on it slide over and say hi!...

Kennyman: Sharing fishing information with others is what its all about.... enjoy doing it... after all its my business! :D

Fishindevil: Your right.... releasing those 'Prime' spawning females is a absolute must!.... the Kawartha's need all the help they can get!

Smokey: Agree with ya 100%.... reduced limits and only 1 fish over 18" would be a good thing. The slot size and reduced limits certainly turned Balsam lake around the past few years.

Take care and Good Fish'n all.....Greg.