Car Rental Insurance. Read the small print.

limeyangler

Hi all,

Heading to sunnier weather for a 2 week break in January.

Last year, same destination, we used Priceline.com. They offer an $11 a day CDW (collision damage waiver). It seemed reasonable and after a quick scan of the Terms and Conditions I ticked the 'I Agree' box and that was that. Thankfully I never needed it and the holiday passed without incident.

This year I chose to use Priceline again. However, I scanned the Terms and Conditions of the CDW a bit closer and to my horror realized that SUVs and 4X4 are not covered by the insurance they offer, hence read the small print in the title.

I called Priceline and confirmed it with a very sulky customer service representative. I suggested that they should make this clearer to people taking out this insurance, he replied that the website probably won't let you buy it if it is not applicable, I pointed out that this was not the case as I had rented a Mid-size SUV in January for the same trip and I have the credit card bill to prove that it was accepted for my rental even though I was not covered. Then the bugger just started lying, saying it had changed from last year and will not allow that to happen, I called him on that as it very much did just accept it again on a booking I had just made that day and subsequently cancelled. POS!!!

No sorry, no nothing, just lies and attitude!

So I decide to check Dollar Rental cars direct, as this is the company the Priceline website had hooked me up with for this year's trip. Well would you believe it, so much for Priceline's claim to get the best deals, ITS EXACTLY THE SAME PRICE FROM DOLLAR IF BOOKING DIRECT WITH THEM.

So I ask about Dollar's CDW coverage, they call it Loss Damage Waiver and it is a buck more with them @$12 per day but you are covered if you rent 4x4 or SUVs( Antigua's roads are bad so I prefer the larger vehicles).

I call the Dollar customer service and they confirm I am covered in my vehicle choice, I ask them to send me the policy/coverage in detail so I know exactly what I am buying and what things exempt coverage. I get told that I'm 100% covered. I ask again for the complete breakdown and am told that they can't supply me with a breakdown but I will have to call the actual branch in Antigua for details!!!!????

I question how it is they will sell me something without knowing what it is they have just sold me, after a long pause the only thing the customer service rep could say was, "well you can always decide to take it off the price of your booking when you get to the check out in Antigua". stinking RIDICULOUS!

So I get on the phone and call the airport rental desk of Dollar in Antigua. I get the same and even sulkier response that I'm 100% covered. I explain that i'm not 100% satisfied and for my peace of mind would like to see the policy breakdown in detail including the small print. I am told that I will have to email [email protected] and they will send me the details I have requested, the phone was literally disconnected/hung up, no "thank you", "anything else sir?", "have a nice day", just "CLICK….drrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr". WOW!

So I get an email this morning from Dollar, Antigua. (copy and pasted below)

Goodmorning, Mr. Baker

The LDW, is a lose damage waiver, that means you are covered for any accident 100%, accept if you were drinking alcohol while you were driving, anyone who was driving the vehicle who was NOT authorize to by the company and negligence, but if you hit another vehicle you are fully responsible for all damages to the other persons vehicle .
Thank you for choosing Dollar Rent A Car

Miss Jolly
So there you go, a comprehensive breakdown of the insurance policy!
Unreal!

ask your insurance broker for rider, or a non owned auto protection ( you may already have it).

Also check with your credit card peeps.

One of my cards covers INS when renting a vehicle with it.

No extra fees just the rental price.

I don't have coverage with my own insurance, might have it on an Amex card I have, but its in my mothers name and they won't give me any details of coverage since I'm not the primary card holder…lol. Mum got the call this morning, she's looking into it. Mum gave us the card a few years back to use to book flights as it has some pretty comprehensive travel insurance.

My mum is not too pleased with Amex now though, she just found out that they sneakily and quietly lowered the age for coverage down to 65yrs old, she aint covered

anymore!

Edited by limeyangler

its very easy and usually free to call your car insurance provider to ask them to add you for insurance coverage on rental cars. I NEVER PAY INSURANCE ( which usually costs more than the daily rental rate) and if you have Gold visas or mastercard/amex you are like covered as well

Edited by darsky

The problem becomes... when you go to leave on your schedule flight home and have had an accident with the rental... that if you decline the CDW because you're covered by your MasterCard "frills" you may get stuck on the island while they sort it all out. The rental company will demand you pay all the damages before leaving the island.

That said, I've rented a lot of vehicles on almost every island in the carib and there's probably wanted or "do not rent to this guy" posters in every rental outlet.

When driving the road from Jolly Harbour through Old Road and the rainforest to get to English Harbour, I remember thinking that there wasn't enough insurance available for purchase on this island to put my mind at ease! lol Driving in St Johns was a real treat as well. ha ha. If there is time before you travel you can apply for a credit card that specifically meets your insurance needs, there are many that offer travel insurances of all sorts. My wife researched which one was best for us and we keep it for car rentals only when we travel. I was skeptical about the coverage but after requesting and receiving the policy breakdown I was satisfied that there was nothing to worry about and now we just decline any insurance offered by the rental company.

When in Antigua we rented from a local guy that was recommended by the owner of the home we rented. We were pleased with him, he delivered the car to the house and we just left it there when we departed for him to pick up later. That avoided all of the confusion and hassle at the airport when all you really want to do is get out of there. It was called Benji's car rentals. If I can find some old contact info I will post it here if you are interested.

Enjoy a few of the 365 beaches!

When driving the road from Jolly Harbour through Old Road and the rainforest to get to English Harbour, I remember thinking that there wasn't enough insurance available for purchase on this island to put my mind at ease! lol Driving in St Johns was a real treat as well. ha ha. If there is time before you travel you can apply for a credit card that specifically meets your insurance needs, there are many that offer travel insurances of all sorts. My wife researched which one was best for us and we keep it for car rentals only when we travel. I was skeptical about the coverage but after requesting and receiving the policy breakdown I was satisfied that there was nothing to worry about and now we just decline any insurance offered by the rental company.

When in Antigua we rented from a local guy that was recommended by the owner of the home we rented. We were pleased with him, he delivered the car to the house and we just left it there when we departed for him to pick up later. That avoided all of the confusion and hassle at the airport when all you really want to do is get out of there. It was called Benji's car rentals. If I can find some old contact info I will post it here if you are interested.

Enjoy a few of the 365 beaches!

Yeah we went the local route before too. A friend of my brother in law. My brother in law is Antiguan and lives there, we are no strangers to the island, been there half a dozen times. To cut a long story short local would not be my preferred choice again, although some have some good reviews on Tripadvisor they tend to be pricier for the same time.

its very easy and usually free to call your car insurance provider to ask them to add you for insurance coverage on rental cars. I NEVER PAY INSURANCE ( which usually costs more than the daily rental rate) and if you have Gold visas or mastercard/amex you are like covered as well

Yeah, but check the small print! I just checked my amex card and it only works if the balance is payed in US funds regularly. This is not the case as my mother is the principle card holder and she pays her card off in UK pounds. It also states that SUVs are not covered, which size of SUV is not clear, but seriously, check the small print.

I think everyone is missing the biggest risk here... Extending rental car insurance from your car insurance and the insurance from your credit card only cover damage to the vehicle. I would be more worried about personal injury liability. You can only get liability insurance from the car rental company and in my experience you can't just buy liability insurance, the rental companies always bundle it with the physical damage insurance.

I think everyone is missing the biggest risk here... Extending rental car insurance from your car insurance and the insurance from your credit card only cover damage to the vehicle. I would be more worried about personal injury liability. You can only get liability insurance from the car rental company and in my experience you can't just buy liability insurance, the rental companies always bundle it with the physical damage insurance.

not quite, true about the credit card card, but not the non owned auto or rider options; https://www.fsco.gov.on.ca/en/auto/forms/Documents/OAP-1-Application-and-Endorsement-Forms/1238E.pdf

its a really cheap option and the coverage matches yours. This far exceeds anything the rental companies offer. Do a little research on how often the rental companies fine print gives them an out on the coverage, as Limey has identified. Just makes sure you specify and get in writing that you will be using this out of country.

not quite, true about the credit card card, but not the non owned auto or rider options; https://www.fsco.gov.on.ca/en/auto/forms/Documents/OAP-1-Application-and-Endorsement-Forms/1238E.pdf

its a really cheap option and the coverage matches yours. This far exceeds anything the rental companies offer. Do a little research on how often the rental companies fine print gives them an out on the coverage, as Limey has identified. Just makes sure you specify and get in writing that you will be using this out of country.

I got this form from my insurance, premium would have been an extra $25 per year. However it is only applicable to US and Canada, not valid outside, so I would not be covered in Antigua.

After reading this, I thought I would look into my insurance as well. I am going south to St Martin in March. So I phone my insurance agent only to find out my insurance is only good in Canada and the U.S.A.

So then I phone RBC visa and they will cover me if I use their card to pay for the rental.

Covers, damage, theft and vandalism up to $65,000. But no Third Person Liability. ( If you injure another driver say) So buy the rental companies coverage.

and if anything does happen you have 48 hrs to call it in.

Check before you go.

Merry Christmas everyone. Safe travels