Programs to organize music????? NF

Big Cliff

Just sitting here this morning trying to find a music cd/dvd in our collection and I realized that we currently have about 100+ CDs and DVDs.

I would like to find a program that will allow me to dump all these music files and be able to reoganize them by artist, genre, remove duplicates by the same artist...... (well you get the picture) and then create my own playlists and burn them back to DVD.

I do not need a program that is going to let me digitally alter the files or anything fancy, just something to organize them, I don't mind buying one (but free is better). Can anyone suggest a program?

Thanks

BC

I spent hours doing just what you are asking about on Xbox Music (an app I got with my new console)..Now they want to charge to play most of the songs I have downloaded...Damn Microsoft

As soon as I find an app that will let me download for "free" (no trial period) I will get rid of Xbox Music...

Cliff, if you have Microsoft media player you should be able to do it right on your computer. You can organize by title, artist or whatever you heart desires. Then you can build playlists with simple select and drags. You can save in MP3 or WMA (windows media format). Only thing you may find is the memory it uses, and if that happens all you have to do is pick up an external memory and you could dedicate that to music

All of my music including my hundreds of CDs are all organized in itunes.

Very easy to import and it automatically finds all the album info on the net and adds it into the data for that album.

Plus it's easy to use, is free and if you happen to pick up an ipod you can transfer songs to it from yer puter. ;)

MediaMonkey is free as well, There are some features that are unlocked with the paid version, which I have. I think I paid $30 or 40 for a lifetime licence. I have upgraded at least three major versions since. The later versions are compatible with apple products to sync music just as iTunes does.

I just use the Microsoft folder/file system for a hundred or so music DVD's and nearly a thousand CD's. Folders by artist and folders inside of that for each album, windows arranges it all by alphabetical order for me :thumbsup_anim: I always listen to CD's in their entirety though with an old version of Winamp, guess if I wanted a mix by different artists I'm SOL. Most of my music is in .flac format only convert to .mp3 for portable players.

All of my music including my hundreds of CDs are all organized in itunes.

Very easy to import and it automatically finds all the album info on the net and adds it into the data for that album.

Plus it's easy to use, is free and if you happen to pick up an ipod you can transfer songs to it from yer puter. ;)

iTunes is the devil...

if your ears are still healthy, and you already have the music on CD or DVD, don't rip them into MP3's.

Use a lossless format, like FLAC suggested above.

I know folks will argue this, much because human ears vary in range much more than eyes, but transferring CDs/DVDs to MP3's is like taking a bluray dvd and transferring it to vhs.

I don't know how else to explain it.

With a cheap TV, it might not be visible to see the difference in dvd to vhs, and most of the music playing devices are like cheap tv's.

But, like a quality tv, if you have quality play back hardware, you will notice the difference between your factory cd/dvd and your ripped mp3 (again, depending on your hearing ability).

Hope this helps.

Steve

Actually Steve, you are more correct than maybe you even know! I've heard of some tests being done on folks in their 20's and they have become so used to the sound of an MP3 vs a full format, non-compressed sound, that they actually prefer the sound of a MP3! It's what they are used to hearing!

HH

Actually Steve, you are more correct than maybe you even know! I've heard of some tests being done on folks in their 20's and they have become so used to the sound of an MP3 vs a full format, non-compressed sound, that they actually prefer the sound of a MP3! It's what they are used to hearing!

HH

My hearing is basically shot, tinnitus and hearing aids, but I still get a chuckle when I see young people with fancy 200 buck headphones on a mp3 player, such a

waste :wallbash:

"Thank you all for your suggestions and replies. This is going to be my winter project for the days that are just too cold for me to be out."

So sez the guy that forgot his boots and still went ice fishing in his sneakers...LOL !

Once you rip all your music fro the CDs to mp3 format, download Plex Media Server. It's free, install it on your computer. Assuming you have wireless in your home, Plex will sync to your TV if you have a Smart one. Plex is for music, movies, pictures etc. Anything on your computer, you will be able to listen to and view on your TV as long as the computer is on and in the case of a laptop, open. It's an amazing program that creates the additional folders (genre, artists, playlists etc) automatically for you and draws additional info from the web, such as info about a movie. I have been using it for a little over a month and it has allowed me to get extra use out of my TV without having to go out and buy. I rip from a CD, or in the case of a movie, download it from a torrent site, and Plex does the rest and I can watch it free of charge.