Lest We Forget

mattybculp

It's that time of the year where I am reminded how lucky we are to live in such a great and free country. A significant reason for that is our men and women of our military services past and present. Both of my great-grandparents fought in The first Great War,my grandfather in the second, And a cousin and brother-in-law who did tours in Afghanistan. I was privileged and lucky to know all of them, although young I still remember sitting on my great grandfathers lap teaching me to read (as he was a retired principal from high park in Toronto) and Rolling cigarettes with his old-school machine. Some truly great memories. I cannot comprehend what these men went through. I have never felt prouder,more humbled and thankful then being at my local Cenotaph on remembrance day if you've never been I encourage you to do so you will never feel prouder to be a Canadian. Please take the time tomorrow/today at11 AM to reflect upon the ultimate sacrifices these men and women made for us. Lest we forget

Lest we forget. It's hard to even imagine the experiences our brave soldiers had while protecting our freedoms. My Great Uncle Doug didn't discuss his service much but whenever he did I walked away with an incredible feeling of pride and thankfulness towards him and his comrades. I am fortunate to have the day off tomorrow. I plan to attend the assembly at my daughters school. Afterwards, there will be a veteran or two having a drink or two on my tab at my local Legion. I want to hear their stories.

http://vid134.photobucket.com/albums/q97/i2cool2fool/public/ABAE11B9-DCAB-422C-9C32-CAB9D70ADDE7.mp4

Edited by i2cool2fool

To this day the men and women of our Canadian Forces are taught to put their emotions away into little imaginary boxes and carry on. I fear the day that my brother actually starts to "open" his, and relives the accounts of all his buddies that he buried in "recent" times. Just can't imagine how many of these "boxes" some of the WWII guys carry on their shoulders.

Never forget!

murraygulf002.jpg

Edited by irishfield

My parents emigrated here and made Canada their home. They adopted this country as their own, raised a family and flourished in a near absolute freedom in the what my father has referred to on many occasions as "Canada is my home. The greatest country in the world". This would not be possible if not for those who dare to walk where most men fear and the loved ones they leave behind. For whom does the bell toll. It tolls for thee. Thank you. We must never forget.

One of my favorite remembrance day poem.

Where Did All The Poppies Go

By: John Rigby

Where did all the poppies go?
Once worn by people, row on row.
No longer seen upon the chest,
In Remembrance of those now at rest.

This symbol of a Nation’s pride
For those that fought and lost their lives
Withers now from year to year,
Not watered by a single tear.

For the Freedoms we protect and love.
Were won by those that shed their blood.
So spare a thought and say a Prayer Wear a Poppy.
Show you care.

I'm proud to say most of the men in my family stepped up when the wars started and fought to keep the rest of us safe & free.

Dad spent 5 years in the Navy and his brother did his 5 years in the Army and both saw too many things they wished they hadn't.

Mom's brother flew bombers over Europe and was killed along with his whole crew when their plane went down.

Dad's dad, my Grandfather, fought in the trenches of France & Belgium with the British Army in WW1 and told stories of unimaginable horrors those men went through.

Dad home on leave during the war

Cnv0783.jpg

My grandfather in much happier times

Cnv0108.jpg

Mom's brother Leonard in an old bi-plane he flew before the war and a couple years before he was killed..

Cnv0381-1.jpg

To this day the men and women of our Canadian Forces are taught to put their emotions away into little imaginary boxes and carry on. I fear the day that my brother actually starts to "open" his, and relives the accounts of all his buddies that he buried in "recent" times. Just can't imagine how many of these "boxes" some of the WWII guys carry on their shoulders.

Never forget!

The boxes just have a habit of opening from time to time. Uncle Bob survived 5 years servicing the guns and being gassed in the Great War. He would never go near the cenotaph and could not step into a legion. He never saw me in uniform. I was told it was too much of a strain for him.

To all of the other Veterans THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE you have made the world a better place by your sacrifices. There are so many war time stories to hear some heroic and some sad the fact is the ones that are not told by the people are the ones who joined the forces and keep the peace without firing a shot.

Art

Serious question here, why is today not a national day of remembrance, or at least a half day. Its a total shame that the government doesn't recognize that every Canadian should be at a cenotaph today remembering those that served. I am at least lucky enough that I can watch the old war planes fly by over city hall in Toronto from my office.

Lest we forget

A strange thing happened to me today. As we stopped all the machines at work at 11:00 am, as we have done for the passed 20 years that I have been there,I was over come. Thinking of all those that done us all well and to live the life we live. I thought of my uncles and my grandfather. My grandfather really hit,as I have had the chance to read some old letters he wired to my grandmother.

I wont get into details of the letters,but it made me think of what he and all the others did/done/went through, for us to live a free life.

I miss him dearly.

Thanks grand dad. :canadian::clapping::(:angel:

And lets not forget my other part of the family. They served us well.

you know what odd? now that I think about it, outta the thousands of times i sat with my gramps, he only told one brutal story. I wonder why? all the stories were mainly about commraderie, and food. man i miss those stories

For all that they saw, they did not want to retell, and relive, the horrors that many experienced. Even in peacetime, Canadians die or are injured serving their country, and it is never pretty.

For all that they saw, they did not want to retell, and relive, the horrors that many experienced. Even in peacetime, Canadians die or are injured serving their country, and it is never pretty.

true bigugly. tough men and women. i aint gonna lie, i think id need to get that off my chest. yet they raised families and worked darn near as if nothing had happened.