Surf and Turf morning. (not for the squeamish)

limeyangler

Thanks for the replies guys, it was quite the experience. I have to confess that the blood and guts has put me off eating it a bit, and the meat smelled like a cross between a farts and liver, farts I can handle….LIVER?……EEEEWWWW!

Anyhoo surf and turf supper tonight and I'm gonna try making 'chicken fingers', will let ya know how they turned out. I will get used to the gore, I felt the same way when I first started to clean and eat walleye.

Cool! Any video of said head getting peppered?!?!

Sorry HD, only got video of a few of the walleyes we caught. We had only just got out of the truck and I was taking a waz when the darn thing flew right over my head and landed 20 feet away……went back to the truck, grabbed the shotgun and a shell…..forgot to put me Gopro on ……walked over to it in the blueberry patch….WHAM!

Walleye and grouse....what a great combo, looks like a fun outing. That's some good shooting (and a tight choke too!) I'm sure the grouse didn't know what hit her!

Modified choke I think, i was pretty close to it though.

Edited by limeyangler

Thanks for the replies guys, it was quite the experience. I have to confess that the blood and guts has put me off eating it a bit, and the meat smelled like a cross between a farts and liver, farts I can handle….LIVER?……EEEEWWWW!

You'll find that the Ruffed Grouse are better table fare than the Spruce Grouse , especially later in the season. The Ruffs have white meat. An accurate 22 rimfire is a good choice if your shots are close range head shots, less messy too.

Step on the wings and pull the legs Simon. Easy as that. :clapping:

Yup, works like a charm every time, gruesome…but quick and effective.

Brian, he wants to eat it, not resuscitate it.

Yeah, and with the head gone mouth to beak was out of the question too.

You'll find that the Ruffed Grouse are better table fare than the Spruce Grouse , especially later in the season. The Ruffs have white meat. An accurate 22 rimfire is a good choice if your shots are close range head shots, less messy too.

Yeah, had both before, just never shot my own of either species.

you can soak the spruce breasts in baking soda and water to help with the gamey taste...ruffled are definitely better

awesome description of smelling the guts, I tried describing to a new hunter, I said dirty socks and cheetos lol

Will keep that in mind, handy tip. I don't actually mind the gamey taste, the litmus test is whether my boy will eat it.