Keeping mold out of carpeted lockers on the boat

spincast

Wondering what you guys use to top mold from forming in your boat lockers and glove boxes? Every once in a while I forget to open them up to breathe when I get home from a wet outing and the mold starts on stuff. Any miracle cures that don't destroy the carpet?

yeah,Dax - I try, but still after all these years I seem to miss that perfection mark - some days its just kinda slips the old grey noggin - or else its still peeing rain when I get home and the garage air flow is non existent.

one ounce of bleach in 24 ounces of water mist till moist fan dry and brush.

Art

Thanks Art - may have to resort to that. Do you find the solution is weak enough so it doesn't damage the fibers?

i don't know about using it on boat carpet, but this stuff is supposed to be great.

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/mold-control-946-ml/949056

Cdn company as well (or at least was 3 yrs ago). You may want to inquire or try it on a small spot before doing the whole area.

Thanks Cram - Looks like it may have potential - have you used in on anything, or is this a word of mouth kind of experience?

No damage the solution can actually be reduced to 1/2 oz of bleach if it is just light mold or just starting. My carpet in my Ranger is grey and I have seen no bad effects. The other thing is mold takes a few days to start so even if you park it wet for a day or two a fan will make treatment not necessary. If I go out in the rain and cover the boat to travel home I usually loosen the back and put a blower in the back then everything dries with out undressing the boat.

Art

Thanks Art - may have to resort to that. Do you find the solution is weak enough so it doesn't damage the fibers?

Thanks Cram - Looks like it may have potential - have you used in on anything, or is this a word of mouth kind of experience?

Just word of mouth. A friend of mine worked with them. He claimed it's edible, though I wouldn't go eating it.

Art's plan is tried and proven. Might be the safest thing to do, in terms of not damaging your boat.

Edited by cram

I am constantly getting mold on the carpet in the battery compartment, why any manufacturer would line a battery compartment in carpet is beyond me!!

It's too tight to get a brush or vacuum to the carpet and I would have to remove the battery to get to the bottom as well. I try and remember to open that hatch and let air dry but if I do forget I spray the beejeezus out of it with Febreeze. Water in the hold is a recent problem as my new kicker puts up a small Rooster tail and splashes onto the cover a bit.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

The Concrobium stuff from Depot is fantastic. I'm a renovator and do mostly bathrooms and use this stuff to kill mould. Totally odor / fumes free and works great.....as a matter of fact just noticed yesterday after storing boat in the garage with cover on that there was even mould growing on the fishing rods. I'll be spraying this stuff everywhere today and leave the cover off when it's stored. Oh yeah and make sure all hatches and lids remain open.

Funny thing in the western hemisphere a lot of people call their boats "she". Now can you imagine your other "she" being put away slightly damp, things go moldy there too. Put your toys away properly before you self relax and they'll be ready to serve you next time.