Moose Van collision :(

ketchenany

Two people are dead and eight others injured following a moose-related collision on Highway 11 near Saint-Louis-de-Kent on Thursday night, say RCMP.

Police were called to the fatal crash shortly after 8:30 p.m.

The preliminary investigation indicates a van was driving northbound on the highway when it collided with a moose, Sgt. Marco Papillon stated in a news release.

It appears the driver of the van tried to avoid the animal and crossed the centre line, colliding head on with a truck carrying three adults and three children, he said.

The 60-year-old man, who was driving the van, and a 62-year-old woman, who was his passenger, both died at the scene.

Both victims are from Miramichi.

A third vehicle drove off the road to avoid the crash, said Papillon.

The other eight people involved in the crash were from Bouctouche and Pigeon Hill and were all taken to hospital.

An RCMP reconstructionist was at the scene of the crash overnight and traffic was rerouted for approximately eight hours.

The names of the deceased are not being released pending notification of their families.

A team from the Department of Natural Resources removed the moose from the scene of the crash Friday morning and said it was approximately four years of age and weighed approximately 325 kilograms.

ughhh biggest fear driving to pointe au baril every weekend.

3 years ago i was following a guy towing a boat near go home lake rd, was doing the standard 110 in a 100 in my mazda speed protege (lowered oh boy) plenty of space between the boat tower and me...following a sweeping right bend with the standard rock rock faces on the right obscuring any vision...next thing i know the guy towing the boat slams on the brakes, Ive got plenty of time to slow down and proceed to switch lanes to pass, when i realize the mistake ive made, there standing right on the middle line covering both lanes is a full grown bull moose antlers and all...fast maneuver hit the shoulder doing 90, the mooses head misses the corner of my car by less than a foot, i might have even skirted under its head since my car was so low.

proceeded to nearly go into cardiac arrest and I am only 23.

I think they should put a bounty on moose, deer, bears, (might as well include geese too). The darnd things are killing people and getting away with it!

I'd rather see a bounty on all the drunks, dopers, texters and everyone else that's killing people with their cars.

Not an hour ago I was driving across #36 approaching Buckhorn when some moron stopped her car right on the hiway to have a look at what was happening at the side of the road.

I'd rather see a bounty on all the drunks, dopers, texters and everyone else that's killing people with their cars.

Agreed!

A sad story for sure, the urge to swerve is too great in most.

Its a natural reaction, it takes a near superhuman effort to not swerve.