Sleeping Bag Ratings - late fall camping

Sharkbait22

Any advice from those that camp a lot. If -7C is the lowest temperature to encounter, the average is -2C, and can be up to 5C, then what rating should I get? Plan for the worst so a -7 or -10 bag? Or double that number? I'll have a good pad and be in a tent. Can also wear more clothing I suppose e.g., toque if needed. The worst is being cold. Spring trout fishing likely have the most experience. Thanks

My impression of sleeping bag ratings is that they are typically pretty inflated (not unlike a 4 man tent really being a good fit for 2 or 2.5). You'd be better off for something rated higher. Or lower, if you know what i mean..

Your pad underneath is important so good that you have one of those. Can also be helpful to stuff the bottom of your bag with dry clothes, if that is otherwise empty space. Mummy bags are warmer (less empty space inside them) but they take some getting used to. I'd rather have a looser fiiting bag that's rated for colder weather.

One more note - wear dry clothes at night. When I was younger I'd just crash in whatever clothes I was wearing through the day. That can be a mistake in cold weatjehr if your clothes have any sweat or other moisture in them. (not to mention food smells, which can be a concern if you're in bear country)

Edited by cram

Sharkbait22, get the warmest you can. On warm nights you can open it up to cool down, but if you get cold, then it is no fun.

I have spent a few night with little sleep from shivering.

Then I spent the money for a down filled bag and have had it for many years.

Warmer is better.

Yes, then I can carry more beer! Seriously, doing long portages when fish are biting is not fun. Double portages waste time especially on weekend trips. I've done plenty of camping but only ever had two bags both were around -7 rating I think. Both synthetic - for the water. Just haven't been camping in colder temps for a while. The ratings are kind of wacky, just like tents, the 3 man is more of a 2 man, etc. Likely to get something like this

http://www.mec.ca/product/5025-630/mec-aquila-sleeping-bag-12c/?f=10+50130+50853+50874+50880

Prices jump a lot lower for bags rated below -15C. I have a silk liner.

I do several cold weather camping trips in the spring and fall and I have a -10 rated down bag . Never a problem !

Like others have said a good sleeping pad is a must when its cold and damp out . As well , have designated sleeping

clothes . I wear a thermal top with a hood on it (hood or toque is a must) and long underwear to bed on the cold nights

with no problems . The only problem with down bags is if they get wet/damp no matter what the rating is your doomed

so make sure you keep the bag dry at all costs . I make sure that I take the bag out of the tent in the morning and hang

it up to dry in the sun/wind during the day ( moisture builds up in the tent when its cold and makes the down bag damp )

I believe as well that you double your low temp. and compare to your bag rating and you should be good , -5 outside low

then a -10 rated bag is good !

Good luck

The clean clothes, dry sleeping bag, and good sleeping pad are almost more important than the bag itself. Ive had the same military style down filled mummy bag forever, but the sleeping pad, and clean sleeping clothes make all the difference, even with a good sleeping bag. Any sort of dampness and you just cant keep warm.

S.

Another good tip is to make sure your tent is well ventilated either with its own vents or leaving the window/door flap open a bit.

This seems to be counter productive on keeping warm during the night but believe me its not . You want to vent out all that air/moisture

that you exhale over the course of the night , if not and its cold out your tent will be like a "cold sauna" not the best conditions for

keeping warm ! Never wear cotton clothes to bed either only wool or a synthetic ( no insulating value in damp cotton )

As well , this is something I have been doing for awhile now when it gets cold out . About an hour before you go to bed you put a rock

from the fire into the tent , you will be amazed at how long it stays warm for and it takes the chill out of the tent before bed . I put it on a

small piece of plywood so it doesn't burn the tent. Be careful if you decide to do this ( takes a bit of practice )

Another good tip is to make sure your tent is well ventilated either with its own vents or leaving the window/door flap open a bit.

This seems to be counter productive on keeping warm during the night but believe me its not . You want to vent out all that air/moisture

that you exhale over the course of the night , if not and its cold out your tent will be like a "cold sauna" not the best conditions for

keeping warm ! Never wear cotton clothes to bed either only wool or a synthetic ( no insulating value in damp cotton )

As well , this is something I have been doing for awhile now when it gets cold out . About an hour before you go to bed you put a rock

from the fire into the tent , you will be amazed at how long it stays warm for and it takes the chill out of the tent before bed . I put it on a

small piece of plywood so it doesn't burn the tent. Be careful if you decide to do this ( takes a bit of practice )

be VERY careful if you are going to do the rock thing as a matter of fact my buddy onece did that and burnt down his tent