Your thoughts in PFD enforcement.

lew

It's silly, there should be a standard that meets both US and Canadian certifications.

And here's something else where there's a difference.

Back in '99 I bought a new Crestliner and the capacity plate said it was rated for 50 HP in Canada and 90 HP in the States.

I called CCG and they said Canada didn't think the boat should be rated for 90 HP even though it was designed in the States to carry that much HP

Hey Lew any idea if they were wearing US or Canadian pfd's?

Sorry Adam, I missed your question, but yes, the life jacket that the OPP said was too large for the child was in an American boat and they were in Ontario for a 1 week vacation.

This year in particular there has been a major uptick in boating related deaths so the OPP are really pushing for safety.

That being said.

I still think that is a very rough deal, the want you to fight it for the overtime.

Funny story, I was out at OFC event for the pike tourney. OPP came to check my boat in the little sea-doo we had 4 people on my boat. OPP does the life jacket check and tells me I need 5 life jackets and starts writing the ticket. My family is completely confused and I start explaining we only need 4 life jackets as he continues to write the ticket looking down.

Finally he looks up in disgust and explains 5 people needs 5 life jackets. In a heart beat he realised he only see's 4 people starring down at him and was counting the front casting seat thinking someone was sitting there.

My cousin in very quick wit said to the OPP officer sir have you been drinking. Ahhh good times

They were out in full force here on the Larry yesterday. Both the Coast Guard and the QPP were checking boats. The Coast Guard were doing the safety thing and the QPP were running down boats that were clearly not respecting marine code...speeding etc. I saw one guy had moored his scarab to a red buoy and was fishing with his sound system at I don't know how many decibels. But hey, they all have boater's cards so they are obviously competent eh?

Interesting how so many governments enact laws and tell us it's to keep us safe and save our lives, but still allow cigarettes to be legal.

Wonder if it could have anything to do with the taxes they collect ??

Naw, couldn't be that....could it ??

Nothing more phoney than a politician.

Edited by lew

Interesting how so many governments enact laws and tell us it's to keep us safe and save our lives, but still allow cigarettes to be legal.

Wonder if it could have anything to do with the taxes they collect ??

Naw, couldn't be that....could it ??

Nothing more phoney than a politician.

Well, some lawyers I know would be a close second (oh wait, aren't most politicians lawyers?)

You have to ask yourself; if they really want to curb smoking why do they tax the "stop smoking" aids?

I would think it would be in the lodge owners best interest to step up and contact those neccessary and defend their clients. Otherwise doubtful they would be back.

This is an unrealistic expectation. Should the lodge owner obtain representation for anyone that receives a ticket for speeding on the way there? If you have committed an offence, it's on you to defend it in court if you think the charge was issued in error! A lodge owner can't guard against what happens to you on the water or on the road, and they sure as heck aren't responsible for disputing the charge on your behalf.

Edited by porkpie

To the original post... that was brutal. No doubt.

Sucks some police have to be that way. In the ER we often work alongside together, especially weekends, holidays and full moons. 9 times out of 10 officers are just awesome and friendly people... but in their position of power when that one jackarse starts taking things too far... :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash: