Brook trout bumps EGB -- why didn't he get hooked

bigvenison

Brookies are notorious for bumping their prey before committing. I often troll for them and can't count the number of times that I get a tap, tap, tap, tap, before I hook a fish. The fish that I'm talking about are definitely big enough to inhale my offering in their first attempt. It once took me 3 days to catch a certain fish. I was shore fishing on the Nipigon River, and for the first 2 days at an exact location, I had a follow and a tap from a really nice fish on my first cast only ( I could see the fish plain as day). That was it. One follow and one tap. The third day I caught him. It was a respectable 22 inch fish that could have easily swallowed my offering on day 1 or day 2. Such is Brook Trout fishing.

did he look like this :tease: at ya as he took that swipe? I get lots of hits from the side, often the fish will even make a run holding the spoon in its mouth, then when you try to set the hook or the fish figures out it aint too tasty and pfhft out she goes

Like Dan said, brook trout do this ALL the time. In really clear water you can see them coming in, bumping away. Drives you crazy sometimes. You can feel the line go slack everytime they do it.. The anticipation of the hit is the best! (Or sometimes you just see them follow in and turn away)

Like Dan said, brook trout do this ALL the time. In really clear water you can see them coming in, bumping away. Drives you crazy sometimes. You can feel the line go slack everytime they do it.. The anticipation of the hit is the best! (Or sometimes you just see them follow in and turn away)

On the other hand, as I'm sure you know Bill, is that they can whack your offering and practically rip the rod out of your hands at any given time as well. 30+ years of fishing for them, almost exclusively, and I still don't have their bite patterns figured out.

On the other hand, as I'm sure you know Bill, is that they can whack your offering and practically rip the rod out of your hands at any given time as well. 30+ years of fishing for them, almost exclusively, and I still don't have their bite patterns figured out.

Yup Brookies, either the easiest fish in the world to catch or the hardest.

Great replies guys -- always wondered if they bumped it with their nose or swatted it with their tail-- sounds like nose-- the one good thing for us brookie hunters is that they tell us their location --had this happen in a lake twice as I trolled by with no hookups -- so anchored in 25' where I thought hits had happened and threw out a worm and bobber to approx. area -- no trouble catching them --so they played with the EGB but not the worms

Bumping lures and not biting down is not exclusive to brookies. Had it happen with smallies, largies, bows, salmons, pikes and even walleyes, sometime on minnow baits with 3 treble hooks. It usually means something is just a bit off with your presentation. Fish don't usually miss especially in clear water. Next time it happens, try casting in the same spot and change the speed or cadence of your retreive, change the colour, size or even the type of lure. A dab of scent can also change a bump into a bite. Goodluck.

When they are finicky, I've seen a spoon like a lake trout sized Williams Wabbler with a buggy fly like a Wooly Worm trailing on a snell about a foot back take fish. Kinda like the dodger/fly setup that was popular salmon fishing, but the first time I saw the technique I don't think there was salmon in the great lakes yet.

Edited by dave524

Smallies will do the same thing !!!! Especially on a jerkbait or spinnerbait !!! Sometimes you think it's a small fish but it's not always and even worse is when they bump it almost boat side and you get to see them !!!! Happened to me yesterday !!!! I'm still not over it yet it was a monster

i find the fish swipes at it and darts in the opposite direction. they will hit the spoon(not the hooks) with any part of their body and take off. If they are aggressive they will do it multiple times and one of those time you can hook them. Thats why once in a while you'll snag by the side or tail. I find fish dont just follow right behind your lure and just suck it in.

Smallies will do the same thing !!!! Especially on a jerkbait or spinnerbait !!!

They will do the same with a tube. All you feel is a tic. My bigger smallies and my PB, have been caught on just a tic bite. I found myself letting the bait rest/letting line out when when this happens. Now I just reel up and give a good haul on the rod. My percentage has gone up since then. No time for them to think,do i like it or don,t I.

Edited by Brian B