Where will the next world record Muskie Hale from????

Regan Thompson

Ok, fellow Muskie nerds (I include myself in this term BTW)...

I'm sure this may have been posted before, but interested to get your top 5 list on of lakes which are capable of producing the next world record Muskie... I remain unbiased on this debate as a lodge owner on Nipissing BTW (for real), but think it belongs on the list. Anyway here is mine, let me know your thoughts...

1. Georgian Bay - Home of the famous O'Brien fish on the Moon (which I still fish each fall) and capable of producing another anywhere from Moon, Sevren, North Channel, Pointe au Baril, etc.
  2. St. Lawrence River - already a potential record and still producing
  3. Ottawa River - no brainer
  4. Lake Nipissing - Catch and release world record already lined and MNR reported a netted 72 pounder on netting survey
  5. Kawartha Lakes - HA, just kidding! Great for numbers but it ends there.
  6. Lake of the Woods - Not sure it could produce this size but possible. Certainly a great fishery

Other notables - Lac de Mille Lac, Wabigoon, etc.

Thoughts????

I think the Larry because 55-58 inchers are caught every year all over the Larry... Not the odd one... A fair number of them... And they are thick muscular fish... I'm talking the entire st lawrence system... Kingston to east past Montreal....

Georgian bay has proven itself as stated above...

Nippising fish get huge in the fall... If someone gets a long fish with that fat Nip musky profile it'll be a beast...

From what I've seen "most" Ottawa river fish don't have the girth....

And I think lake of the woods is over rated... I've seen reports and read up on this system and I don't think it's any better then the good southern waters (Sinclair... Ottawa...Larry..Detroit river...niagra river...) ... And your driving 20+ hours to get there... You spend that extra 40hrs (20+ each way) on top of the hours you planned to fish... Say 40-60hrs... on a one of these other waters closer to home and you'll get your results cause your putting in 80-100 hours on the water... In an equally good fishery... You put in hours like this on the Larry you've got a solid shot at your 50 incher... Is there e record on LOTW?... Maybe... But from what I've seen I'd guess it would be caught on a different patter then what 99/100 guys are doing like Throwing double 10s at rock points all day...

My 2 cents based on what I've read...

This thread is gunna be fun to follow...

There is many places that have had real 55lb to 60lb fish.

A fish just a little bigger could come from any of those lakes.

If we look at pike or pickerel is the canadian record weight a lot more then the weight of other big pike or pickerel caught in canada?

So record at 75lbs and next closest at 65lb? I don't think so.

Wabigoon and lean towards the Dinorwic end

Remember the mnr netting story?---I've seen some of these mastodons swimming around there with my own eyes

And I don't fish em---and these waters are mostly plied by walleye'rs

Then I'm thinkin the Ottawa----watchin some nice ones being caught outta there as well

went lookin for that ood netting article on dinorwic

found this on Musky hunter website.....told chy'a I'm not crazy...."My mother had me tested"

"NEXT WORLD RECORD MUSKY?

Rumor has it that Dinorwic Lake is holding the next world record and is a sleeper lake ready to make history. "

Oh and here's another that would'nt surprise me in the least...."Lac Seul"

Likely grow big eatin 8 lb walleyes

Edited by bushart

Out of all of these Dinorwic/Wabigoon are definitely the most under fished, that's for sure. Just not sure they are big enough and hold enough forage. If I had to pick one, I'd say the North Channel of G-Bay. Hardly anyone fishes it. Very treacherous water and few places to stay. Plenty of massive tankers cruising around in there that have never seen an artificial bait.

scugog :D

the heaviest fish come from gbay, the longest from the larry. st. lawrence fish just don't pack on the pounds for whatever reason so my money is on gbay.

everywhere else is a grade or three below that.

st lawerence. I am on lsclair. the best verified fish herewas tony jaro. 48.4lbs 4 years ago. we have thousands everywhere in the 50-56 inch class. forage is the KEY...till the time comes the debates will continue.

For size and numbers together, St. Clair might take it.. Sooo many fish and big.

General PITA - Love the Scucog reference. I lived on the Kawartha's and everyone (who doesn't fish for Muskie that is) says that Scucog holds these monsters, LOL.

I kid you not, this is a true story...

I was getting some stuff at BassPro a couple of years ago. The salesperson helping me seemed to know what he was talking about, until he told me that he had the potential world record Muskie on the line in (you guessed it) Lake Scucog! It got away of course and is still roaming the waters! I immedetily left BassPro and have not been back since!

Out of all of these Dinorwic/Wabigoon are definitely the most under fished, that's for sure. Just not sure they are big enough and hold enough forage. If I had to pick one, I'd say the North Channel of G-Bay. Hardly anyone fishes it. Very treacherous water and few places to stay. Plenty of massive tankers cruising around in there that have never seen an artificial bait.

Forage...Is'nt everything forage for these guys??

Wabigoon/Dinorwic "Chain" of lakes has a very healthy supply of Ciscoes...whitefish...walleyes ....perch...and now I understand Crappie

That system is larger than one thinks----including Mile/Trap/Butler etc

I think the Larry because 55-58 inchers are caught every year all over the Larry... Not the odd one... A fair number of them... And they are thick muscular fish... I'm talking the entire st lawrence system... Kingston to east past Montreal....

Georgian bay has proven itself as stated above...

Nippising fish get huge in the fall... If someone gets a long fish with that fat Nip musky profile it'll be a beast...

From what I've seen "most" Ottawa river fish don't have the girth....

And I think lake of the woods is over rated... I've seen reports and read up on this system and I don't think it's any better then the good southern waters (Sinclair... Ottawa...Larry..Detroit river...niagra river...) ... And your driving 20+ hours to get there... You spend that extra 40hrs (20+ each way) on top of the hours you planned to fish... Say 40-60hrs... on a one of these other waters closer to home and you'll get your results cause your putting in 80-100 hours on the water... In an equally good fishery... You put in hours like this on the Larry you've got a solid shot at your 50 incher... Is there e record on LOTW?... Maybe... But from what I've seen I'd guess it would be caught on a different patter then what 99/100 guys are doing like Throwing double 10s at rock points all day...

My 2 cents based on what I've read...

This thread is gunna be fun to follow...

Couldn't agree more about LOTW. Great fishery, but way too hyped up for some reason. The one thing St. Lawrence has going for it is current. Muskie in these waters go to the gym 24 hours per day while the fat slobs of G-Bay and Nip sit around eating. Muscle weighs more than fat but a big enough slob may win!

Nip, Gbay or the St. Lawrence would be my guesses for weight.

Lake of the Woods might not produce the absolute heaviest fish, but the sheer number of 50+ fish is second to none. Virtually every day I have fished there I have seen giants. Overrated? Hardly. I'll be making that 25 hour drive every year for the rest of my muskie fishing life!

There are fifty inchers in Scugog but they would weigh 30-35 pounds on a very good day. My best from the bog is an October caught 47 that weighed 25 lbs based on her measurements.

General PITA - Love the Scucog reference. I lived on the Kawartha's and everyone (who doesn't fish for Muskie that is) says that Scucog holds these monsters, LOL.

I kid you not, this is a true story...

I was getting some stuff at BassPro a couple of years ago. The salesperson helping me seemed to know what he was talking about, until he told me that he had the potential world record Muskie on the line in (you guessed it) Lake Scucog! It got away of course and is still roaming the waters! I immedetily left BassPro and have not been back since!

I think every lake has a mnr netting 'fable' that indicates a megalodon muskie was trapped there.

the other body of water, and only non-canadian that i think has potential is the other gbay, green bay.

happyness is a 10lb whitefish away.

Edited by Raf

I may be biased but im saying Georgian Bay. I was out about 6 years ago and the MNR was netting in the spawning areas in pointe au baril and i asked them what the biggest one they had found just in our area and they told me 43 lbs. If they had picked up a 43Lb muskie just in the small area near my cottage, id imagine somewhere along the 100kms of rugged coastline there is one in there.

The water is massive, the holes are deep and the pressure is minimal.

I personally have seen things while fishing for pickerel that shocked an amazed me, including sitting out in an open channel with the sun setting, looking out towards the sun and seeing the siloutte 300meters away of a monster jump out of the water, and come down with a splash like a human had just jumped into the lake.

They are out there!

Edited by AKRISONER

I don't know about the "Fabled" part on Dinorwic---I know too many folks even in That MNR office that backed that story

But This lake ___Again woul'nt surprise me at all----it's usually off the Muskie radar----but it is a fish factory

http://www.chroniclejournal.com/publications/outdoors-guide/issues/2012/february/articles/lac-seuls-monster-muskie

looking out towards the sun and seeing the siloutte 300meters away of a monster jump out of the water, and come down with a splash like a human had just jumped into the lake.

They are out there!

And that sir, was a sturgeon.

Forage? I recall seeing another guy at a camp in Pointe Au Baril with a 19-20 inch bass that a Muskie had thought was forage! The bass was ripped from it's gill plates back and the Muskie didn't let go until it saw the boat. Just guessing that once they reach a certain size they view everything else as forage?

The Georgian Bay has the area and habitat? Also the food supply? Everything from baitfish to Muskie sized baitfish like perch, walleye, bass, and trout? The bass in the California lakes seem to put on some pounds eating trout?

Picking the best area to fish for them around 30,000 islands complicates the problem? Not to mention that you had probably better know the area well to avoid busting a prop or lower unit? It's just not the greatest area to be in a hurry in?

We were never really prepared to land a huge fish, we saw some big ones and lost them, and then there were the fish that we never saw? Just peeled out line. I don't recall us ever catching a small one, but they had to be there, the back bays seemed like a perfect spawning area.

Your call, pick your favorite spot and fish like hell!