Thinking of adding Netflix NF

davey buoy

Your personal time to download is likely worth a lot more than the cost of a monthly netflix membership.

Sure is, but it's not like I'm sitting around and waiting for movies to DL. I run all my torrents off my NAS, not my laptop. RSS feeds automatically grab what I want (series that aren't televised in Canada for example).

start.ca is a great internet provider if they are in your area. $40 for unlimited I believe. Amazing customer service, office hours till 11PM.

I recently completely cut the cord at home. No cable, no land line. Saving close to $150 a month, and I still get all my sports streamed. You have to pay for the sports but it is way cheaper and better with some of the online services.

For kids I've found Netflix to be way better than cable. Mine are young though.

Just finished working with Ma Bell,dropped my monthly rate by $18.00. Unlimited internet,and home phone still.30gb-unlimited,less money?That alone was worth the call!!! Netflix told me to buy a Roku box,comes with remote ,just as easy as changing channels.Where can I buy this?,and how much are they?,almost there lol,thanks again for your help.

Edited by davey buoy

Just finished working with Ma Bell,dropped my monthly rate by $18.00. Unlimited internet,and home phone still.30gb-unlimited,less money?That alone was worth the call!!! Netflix told me to buy a Roku box,comes with remote ,just as easy as changing channels.Where can I buy this?,and how much are they?,almost there lol,thanks again for your help.

Walmart supposedly has them ??

http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/roku-3-streaming-media-player/6000127296290?icid=SP_NA_TwoPickTuesday_NA_HP_NA_NA_HPHB_10222013_39_E&kid=kid_76661&gclid=CjwKEAjwjN2eBRDbyPWl0JLY5lYSJACPo0UiKvuEWVeOnpPmf_vaBZcM2N_BhalvjoqiEXPX6oJDGxoCbU7w_wcB

Thanks,$109.88????,the lady I talked to from Illinois said there $50 were she is.That's just plain nasty here !!lol.

Dave, if you're going to spend $109, consider purchasing a wifi blu ray DVD player with Netflix built in. I got one for Sean @ Costco for that price about six months ago. Also includes YouTube and a bunch of other applications (photo album, videos etc). Definitely more bang for your buck. I'll get the model number for you when I see him tomorrow.

Dave, if you're going to spend $109, consider purchasing a wifi blu ray DVD player with Netflix built in. I got one for Sean @ Costco for that price about six months ago. Also includes YouTube and a bunch of other applications (photo album, videos etc). Definitely more bang for your buck. I'll get the model number for you when I see him tomorrow.

That sounds like a better way to go,thanks,defineatly a better option.

I have the WDTV Live, bought it at Staples for $109.00 and I love it. Play movies directly from my computer does NetFlix and a ton of other stuff. Very easy to set up and use (it had to be for me). I download a lot of the TV shows we like to watch and then just play them when we want just like having them on DVD

Roku is absolutely the way to go. Do not get a WD LIVE. Roku is very likely to be the operating system of the future for the majority of TVs. It is amazing and with some time and effort you can essentially get all sports, TV and movies for free. There is some out front money to do this but it is possible. Google the Plex App and IceFilms, SS Plex unsupported apps.

The 109 is for Roku 3 which the only feature really is that you can plug in a USB stick to it and hard wire it to your LAN. Roku 2 has same functionality except Wifi only and no USB port. I have both a 2 and a 3 and really should've just got two Roku 2.

Edited by Consigliere

IMO the WDTV plays the most content right out of the box. It will play any format movie you throw at it in addition to all the typical apps (netflix, hulu, etc). The same cannot be said for the others. If you are tech savvy, have the time to fiddle around with it, buy/configure additional software/hardware ie. Plex Server, yes the others may have a leg up. The AppleTV UI is nicer but it's Apple. :P

just my 0.02c.

Edited by Raf

Don't buy anything until you test it out first. It might not be what you're looking for. Almost every electronic device has Netflix on it these days. You can simply try it from your computer first.

Why spend $100+ and find out Netflix doesn't cut it for you?

Also, you can get free movies etc.. using the aforementioned methods, but it should be made clear that doing so is not legal for the most part.

Edited by FishLogic

I've been without cable TV for almost 10 years now and have no regrets. Most of our shows are watched out Netflix or Hulu. I'm using another service that is $5 a month more to get the US version of Netflix, and free version of Hulu which offers a ton of new content weekly.

I've never used AppleTV or WDLive, but I have my computer hooked up right to my TV and a small Android PC that plays just about anything you Android phone will play on your TV screen (with exception of Hulu Free). Its a bit clumsy, but very user friendly if you already have an Android phone.

As far as bandwith, not all Netflix media will stream at the highest HD, and I think there may even be an option to user lower quality, but I'll have to double check that when I'm home. But as everyone has said, 30gb is likely too little.

Definitely don't work for Roku - I have all the devices mentioned and know the strengths and weaknesses of each. If you are willing to do a bit of work and use your computer then by far Roku exceeds all other devices and it's not even close.

If you want to take it out of the box, plug it in, use it for Netflix etc then they are all equally capable of that and have different functionality.

I can not say enough that if you are willing to use your PC as well you can get every TV show immediately after it airs for free, all live sports from the 4 major NA leagues you absolutely need a Roku...WD Live is the weakest by far in that area and Apple TV is in between.

To the OP ---

If you want to run Netflix, get unlimited usage internet. We cut the cable cord about a year ago in favour of online-only TV. We have Bell FIBE internet with unlimited bandwidth for $82 taxes in per month, Netflix for $8, and run it all from our laptop thru HDMI cable to our 50" plasma :)

Anything you can't find to watch on Netflix can be found on projectfreetv.com, as long as you have good anti virus and some patience to find a working link lol. Overall we're very pleased with our setup and just wish we had done it sooner! It has certainly cut down on tube-time, and leaves more $$$ for fishing gear and gas!! :D

ps3 works great. it's what we use on the 'big' tv along with an android box downstairs and a 'just' a wdtv upstairs.

you may need to install ps3 media server on a machine within your network to stream TO the ps3 in order to watch 'cinavia' protected movies. otherwise, it'll play local & networked content through DLNA easily and has lots of apps (ie. netflix, hulu, nhl gamecenter, nfl, etc etc.)

Edited by Raf

Yeah I downloaded ps3 media server awhile ago.. but hadn't used it much yet. Seemed pretty straightforward to play your computer content through ps3 on the tv.

What's the best way to watch streaming content on your TV through websites like projectfreetv or stream live sports? Plug in through an HDMI? Tried to use the ps3 browser but it didn't work very well.