Thinking of adding Netflix NF

davey buoy

I've watched a few things using the HDMi cable from the laptop to the PC and it works pretty good.

BUT , I don't have time to look and what I want to know is there a way to download a Netflix or Youtube etc video and save it to maybe watch it at the cottage or the next day or week etc. and how much is the devise and how much can the devise store? Also I want to know what connections you need. if you can hook it to HDMI ,RCA etc.

ps3 browser wont work. it's very outdated.

plug-in through HDMI, one of these android devices (what we use) or some people use chromecast? for stuff life projectfreetv.

live sports can still be hit and miss for cable cutters (it is improving though). if you have no desire to frack around in order to watch them, a $ubscription may be the way to go (I get NHL Gamecenter which I can watch on the PS3, WDTV or any PC/Mobile Device). If you are into multiple sports, this could potentailly chew into any savings you achieved by cutting cable significantly.

Edited by Raf

Thanks. I throw on the odd jays game on and mainly concerned about catching leafs games. I'll look into gamecenter.

I just looked up chromecast and looks pretty good... I'm going to look into this further. Or might just go hdmi route.

I'm thinking digital rabit ears might be worth it too to get a few basic channels, catch the live news etc and sat night cbc games.

an OTA antenna will work decently for live sports if you're close to the cn tower (CBC/CTV/Global). not sure where Jays games are broadcast these days but you have HNIC covered.

hint: if you 'trick' nhl gamecenter into thinking you're from outside north america, the subscription is $99 / year. you will need the same to get around blackouts related to region.

Edited by Raf

I will definietly go that route if I get gamecenter. Appreciate the tips, gotta get a few things sorted being a new cable cutter.

I can see on-demand tv services for most in the near future.... Doesn't seem to make sense to pay so much for scheduled programming anymore.

Saving Netflix or Youtube vids to watch at a later date requires you to re-record and capture the video again.

So none of the streaming devices allow you to store, nuts. Being able to store it on the device or memory stick or laptop is one of the things I would like. There must be some hardware or software for this.

the biggest adjustment, i think, is if you have the 'channel flipper' mentality. you just can't do that after cutting the cable. you have to know what it is you want to watch. the wife had a problem with this at first.

OK, I might be wrong here (I probably am) but NetFlix is an "on demand" service so why would you want to save anything to watch later, you can watch it whenever you want on NetFlix can't you?

I use my WDTV live and can pause, stop, go back later, whatever I want to do. My computer isn't connected directly to my TV except through the WDTV wirelessly (didn't want a cable running across the floor) and if there is a TV show that I want to watch I just down load it using KAT, run it through VUZE and play it on my TV. I get HD or whatever it was broadcast in which is perfect for me.

Again it is as good as having it on a DVD and when I am done with it, a couple of keystrokes and it is gone or if I want, I can burn it to DVD or a memory stick and take it up to the kids with me easy as drag and drop.

I have no experience with any of the other systems but the WDTV, it was the first one I got and I never figured I needed anything else.

So none of the streaming devices allow you to store, nuts. Being able to store it on the device or memory stick or laptop is one of the things I would like. There must be some hardware or software for this.

We just use a torrent program, download all our weekly shows here to watch at our convenience.

https://eztv.it/

We really enjoy a lot of the British progamming

https://eztv.it/showlist/

Edited by dave524

Great info guys,When talking to the lady at Netflix yesterday,she said they do not support lap top use.Therefore if you go Roku,Chromcast,ps4,xbox,and a couple others,they will help you 24/7 over the phone for some of us less tech savy guys.

Oh and as said yesterday,unlimited internet is on now,so usage of any device won't matter.That 30 day free pass may be my best friend when I'm ready to go lol.

OK, I might be wrong here (I probably am) but NetFlix is an "on demand" service so why would you want to save anything to watch later, you can watch it whenever you want on NetFlix can't you?

I use my WDTV live and can pause, stop, go back later, whatever I want to do. My computer isn't connected directly to my TV except through the WDTV wirelessly (didn't want a cable running across the floor) and if there is a TV show that I want to watch I just down load it using KAT, run it through VUZE and play it on my TV. I get HD or whatever it was broadcast in which is perfect for me.

Again it is as good as having it on a DVD and when I am done with it, a couple of keystrokes and it is gone or if I want, I can burn it to DVD or a memory stick and take it up to the kids with me easy as drag and drop.

I have no experience with any of the other systems but the WDTV, it was the first one I got and I never figured I needed anything else.

Netflix is on demand but at the cottage it is DSL (actually faster than I had in the city) but the download limit is pretty low so being able to download a few movies etc to watch or rewatch seems like a good idea. I also might watch something in pieces or if it is good or I am trying to figure something out watch it a couple times and chewing up my download limit on the same thing...

Most of the reason I haven't used more video was our download speed at home and with work needing most of the bandwidth and we just switched to Techsavy. I haven't had time to look into the options and packages and how it works and thought the netflix topic was a good place to ask rather than trying to sort some of the hype from reality.

I will take a look at WDTV, KAT and VUZE as a start.

Thanks.

Edited by mosquito

I cut the cable about a year ago and have the computer hooked directly to the TV. This way you don't need to buy any media hardware just a couple cables. I use Vuze (find it very easy to navigate I'm a little computarded). Download torrents from piratebay or kickasstorrents. With a 80 gig limit I never go over and I do grab most of my movies in hd. The one problem I do have though is finding any fishing shows can anyone recommend a decent site to get them?