Brook Trout Of The Taiga - Exploring The Asheweig River

solopaddler

Mike, every single report of yours, for lack of a better word is very simply spectacular. I've been watching this stuff for a long time...way before the net ever arrived. Every single 'review' that you've done, aside from the oohs and ahs from readers, have made upstarts and established fishing/outdoor destinations flourish. Mike, I really don't know what to say after I've read one of your trip reports...what with the factual accounts, super photography and always some beautiful historical accounts of the destination thrown in. People often say " you lead a charmed life, Mike" but I know that it's still work and you git'er done. You recently told someone here that people are the master of their own destiny and I believe that to be 100% true.

And that, Sir, is the reason I can't just say " Great report Mike...thanks for sharing" BUT, I have no words so, Great report Mike, thanks for sharing.

You're making a lot of people happy reading of your adventures and you're connecting both new and established outfitters to people who care.

I probably should have posted this to you privately but hey, I'm just airing what I think and believe to be absolute fact.

Take care of yourself Bud....we need more like you.

Thank you.

Roy, you almost brought a tear to my eye. :)

I truly appreciate the kind words, it means a lot.

You are a cruel man!!

Been thinking about this over my morning coffee and I've decided to share. (I'm fully aware of what this is going to sound like).

First some background. Back in my paddling days I spent a lot of time in this region travelling solo. Almost 25 years ago while travelling past the native community of Fort Hope on the Albany River I ran into several natives in a boat and we stopped to talk. They told me a pretty wild tale about a bigfoot (they had a different name for it) who lived nearby. I inwardly rolled my eyes but the story stuck with me and I filed it away.

3 years ago fishing the Dusey River in this same region the outfitter jokingly told me that local natives will not travel downstream on the Dusey past Dusey Lake because a large hairy man-like creature (bigfoot) lives there. Again I joked about it and filed the story away.

Last week on the Asheweig while chatting with Leon he tentatively starts to tell us some stories. Tentative at first as he was gauging what our reaction would be.

The man had no agenda, he embellished nothing. He simply told his stories in the same quiet matter of fact way most natives have.

Story after story of these creatures who live in the region. He once saw one standing on the shore of a lake and thought it was a bear on its hind legs at first, but the color was wrong and it was too tall. "Did you take a shot Leon?" I asked. He looked at me like I was crazy and said no. "The elders tell us to leave them alone so we do. I turned the boat around and left".

Other stories like the time he was calling moose in the fall drawing this particularly large bull in. Suddenly he heard a bizarre shriek...definitely not moose or anything else expected. He froze when he heard splashing in the swamp like a person walking through shallow water. Finally he glimpsed the creature from about 100 yards away as it stopped to stare at him in his blind. He packed up quickly and left not disturbing it.

Many other stories like the girl in the control tower at Kas who saw something that scared her to death. The next morning upon searching they found large tracks everywhere.

The tracks are apparently quite commonly seen, although never in the winter. Leon seems to think they hibernate like a bear. When I asked have you ever taken a picture of the tracks he just shrugged. "Don't own a camera, and I don't need a picture, I know what they look like"

There were more stories, many more, and after hearing them, and especially considering what I'd heard in the past, it's VERY hard not to believe.

OK Mike finally got to watch it with the videos. This is a Speck- tacular report. I think I might want to fish this place more than the Sutton. I've favorited their website in hopes that they update it. Thinking of booking in 2016. A spoon to the back of the head is a small price to pay for that awesome of speck fishing.Watching the running of the rapids I was picturing doing them in a canoe and my only thought was if I didn't have a skirt I woould be swamped in the first 50 ft. It amazes me how good natives are with their boats.

OK Mike finally got to watch it with the videos. This is a Speck- tacular report. I think I might want to fish this place more than the Sutton. I've favorited their website in hopes that they update it. Thinking of booking in 2016. A spoon to the back of the head is a small price to pay for that awesome of speck fishing.Watching the running of the rapids I was picturing doing them in a canoe and my only thought was if I didn't have a skirt I woould be swamped in the first 50 ft. It amazes me how good natives are with their boats.

It's pretty hard to beat Brad, especially at the price and especially if they open up the water to anglers further downstream which I'm sure they will.

I paddled the entire length of the Asheweig solo many years ago and I was honestly far more nervous being in an aluminum boat with someone else on the tiller.

Starting next year they'll be using motorized freighter canoes which would be a huge plus, they handle rough water far better than an aluminum.

It's pretty hard to beat Brad, especially at the price and especially if they open up the water to anglers further downstream which I'm sure they will.

I paddled the entire length of the Asheweig solo many years ago and I was honestly far more nervous being in an aluminum boat with someone else on the tiller.

Starting next year they'll be using motorized freighter canoes which would be a huge plus, they handle rough water far better than an aluminum.

I didn't see a price anywhere on the site that worked ?

There isn't. Adam confused me with his earlier comment, had me thinking I talked about price.

I discussed it with Mitch Diabo (he's the guy you need to talk to) and it'll likely be in the neighbourhood of $1600 a week flying direct from Armstrong.

I defy anyone to find a better value for brook trout fishing of that calibre.

Mike....hope you didn't take offense at the "cruel" comment. It was in jest, and, frankly, your posts are very much appreciated. Keep it up. While I cannot take some of the trips like you do, it doesn't mean I don't want to hear about them.

AS for you "creature" mention, I have not seen anything like what was recounted in your posts, but I am a believer.

Mike....hope you didn't take offense at the "cruel" comment. It was in jest, and, frankly, your posts are very much appreciated. Keep it up. While I cannot take some of the trips like you do, it doesn't mean I don't want to hear about them.

AS for you "creature" mention, I have not seen anything like what was recounted in your posts, but I am a believer.

No offense at all LOL! I'm a little surprised no one else has commented on the bigfoot story. :)

that is one sassy river.

One of your best written reports imo, Mike; sounds cruel, but I let the baby cry for a bit so I could finish reading it.

What an opportunity! Makes me wonder how you even found this place.

Thanks bud! As far as best written, I'm not so sure about that, but I believe it's compelling. I do think I'm slowly getting better with the video end of things.

Roughly 25 years ago I paddled the entire length of the Asheweig as part of a lengthy solo expedition. The trout fishing was amazing and I always wanted to return.

I knew the camp hadn't been used in years so back in January I fired off an initial email to the natives in Kas which started the ball rolling.

Mike,

Thank you for rekindling the awesome memories. In 2005, my late father and I were were fortunate enough to fish with Leon (the guide) at the same camp (the only camp) on the Asheweig River. After many years of father/son fly-in trips for pike and walleye in Ontario and Manitoba, I wanted to try something really different and convinced my 71-year-old dad to step out of his comfort zone. That trip proved to be everything you described. My dad had never fished for or caught a speck prior to this trip. His first was estimated by Leon at 5 lbs. The photo is still posted on the camp's website. Dozens more were caught by both of us although none as big or quite as beautiful as that first one. Loads of walleye and pike as well although not as large on average or quite as plentiful as at some other camps we'd fished. What made that trip so special, however, beside the specks, was the fabulous scenery, running the incredible rapids and Leon and his colleagues.

The following year, we returned to the Asheweig along with my uncle and a cousin, both of whom also had never fished for or caught specks. Again, we were all spoiled because it's hard to imagine anything ever measuring up to that experience. Your trip report and all the excellent photos and videos brought all of those two trips back for me as well as precious memories of my dad.

Selfishly, I hope that very few others will visit the Asheweig River so that our kids might enjoy it ten or twenty years or so from now in the same pristine state it's in today. However, for the sake of Leon and the First Nation of Kasabonika who will benefit, I hope that there will be just enough visitors to warrant keeping the camp operational.

The Asheweig River is a truly unique and very special place. Your trip reports - including the recent one on North Caribou - always get me revved up about trying out different wilderness fishing spots, but, after helping me to reminisce about the Asheweig and finding out that they're open for business again, I'll be seriously thinking about a three-peat visit before exploring new options.

Thanks Mike.

Steve

Thanks guys, once again I'm glad you enjoyed the story!

Mike,

Thank you for rekindling the awesome memories. In 2005, my late father and I were were fortunate enough to fish with Leon (the guide) at the same camp (the only camp) on the Asheweig River. After many years of father/son fly-in trips for pike and walleye in Ontario and Manitoba, I wanted to try something really different and convinced my 71-year-old dad to step out of his comfort zone. That trip proved to be everything you described. My dad had never fished for or caught a speck prior to this trip. His first was estimated by Leon at 5 lbs. The photo is still posted on the camp's website. Dozens more were caught by both of us although none as big or quite as beautiful as that first one. Loads of walleye and pike as well although not as large on average or quite as plentiful as at some other camps we'd fished. What made that trip so special, however, beside the specks, was the fabulous scenery, running the incredible rapids and Leon and his colleagues.

The following year, we returned to the Asheweig along with my uncle and a cousin, both of whom also had never fished for or caught specks. Again, we were all spoiled because it's hard to imagine anything ever measuring up to that experience. Your trip report and all the excellent photos and videos brought all of those two trips back for me as well as precious memories of my dad.

Selfishly, I hope that very few others will visit the Asheweig River so that our kids might enjoy it ten or twenty years or so from now in the same pristine state it's in today. However, for the sake of Leon and the First Nation of Kasabonika who will benefit, I hope that there will be just enough visitors to warrant keeping the camp operational.

The Asheweig River is a truly unique and very special place. Your trip reports - including the recent one on North Caribou - always get me revved up about trying out different wilderness fishing spots, but, after helping me to reminisce about the Asheweig and finding out that they're open for business again, I'll be seriously thinking about a three-peat visit before exploring new options.

Thanks Mike.

Steve

Oh boy, is it ever a small world! Steve thanks for the kind words and I'm reasonably certain I read an incredibly poignant entry from your dad in the guest log at camp dated 2005. It's still there and I read through all of it. In a very elegant but shaky script your dad more or less said this may be his last trip and told anyone who was reading to enjoy the experience and enjoy life... It honestly touched me and I took his words to heart. I'm sincerely glad you chimed in, thank you!

All the best,

Mike

Thanks guys, once again I'm glad you enjoyed the story!

Oh boy, is it ever a small world! Steve thanks for the kind words and I'm reasonably certain I read an incredibly poignant entry from your dad in the guest log at camp dated 2005. It's still there and I read through all of it. In a very elegant but shaky script your dad more or less said this may be his last trip and told anyone who was reading to enjoy the experience and enjoy life... It honestly touched me and I took his words to heart. I'm sincerely glad you chimed in, thank you!

All the best,

Mike

That's pretty cool.

No offense at all LOL! I'm a little surprised no one else has commented on the bigfoot story. :)

I think people might be rolling their eyes just as you did at first. Personally I rule out the possibility of something living up there we don't know about. I would assume you would have to hear Leon tell the story personally to get the full effect.

Thanks for sharing.

Bigfoot?! Whoah.. I'm gonna have to read that one again.. :w00t:

Fantastic write up and spectacular pics budday!! You and Marzana make a great fishing duo.. :worthy:

The Asheweig sounds like a dream... I think that when I have the time and the expendable income, that's where I'd want to take my dad..

cheers!

HD

There were a lot of pretty funny guest book entries :)

Yeah. There was one really long "interesting" entry from Dan Gapen, and another from RD (the rugged dude :D )

It's reports like these that make me dream about brookies at least once a day...Sometimes twice

Just incredible :worthy:

Maybe one day you can join me Mike. You're underwater photo taking skills would be nice, and the big bonus is you're the size of one of Bill's legs. That = more cargo weight on the plane. :D

Bigfoot?! Whoah.. I'm gonna have to read that one again.. :w00t:

Fantastic write up and spectacular pics budday!! You and Marzana make a great fishing duo.. :worthy:

The Asheweig sounds like a dream... I think that when I have the time and the expendable income, that's where I'd want to take my dad..

cheers!

HD

Thanks my friend! Hope all is well on the home front, I know there's a momentous moment fast approaching.