Do you ride a bike? NF

Big Cliff

Cliff, 35 has to be one of the worste roads going. Ive seen more head ons between pontypool and lindsay than aanywhere else.

A very good friend of mine was killed on 35 just south of Lindsay about 30 years ago.

He was heading north at midnight going to his cottage at Dunsford when a car came around the bend on the wrong side of the road and hit him head on. My friend was decapitated and the other car rolled into the ditch, exploded and killed the 4 occupants in that car.

Police estimated the other car was doing 80 MPH when they hit and autopsies showed they were all hammered after sitting in a local pup all day & evening.

What kills me is any joe schhmoe with an M license can go buy a bike that does 0-200 in 3 seconds.

You think they're not going to ride fast? I know I would, and thats why I dont ride a bike.

Following that logic nearly every vehicle on the road should be traveling too fast as even our boat towing pickups are easily capable of 200 km/h.

Someone who has never rode a bike before can go write their M1 test, pass, and be driving an uber fast Kawi 1400 that's capable of 300 km/h the same day. On the flip side, someone can get their G1 and in the same day can be driving a 1200 hp Bugatti that's capable of 425 km/h providing their older buddy with a G is with them.

People who are careless and drive too fast on their bikes typically drive in a similar fashion in their grocery getters. A bad driver is a bad driver no matter what vehicle they're in control of.

You guys wanna see bad drivers? Try riding two wheels and you'll quickly learn that those on 4 wheels are far more dangerous and careless...

I just recently started riding again, Sportster 1200 custom, and I would have to say that proportionally, bikers are no worse than car drivers. There are idiots all over. I opted for the sportster so that I might have a chance, being an old guy, to put it back on it's feet if I ever lay it down. Didn't think I'd be able to do that with a road king.

Most of those dudes who drive fast bikes at speeds of 200kph or so....are phenomenal drivers !

Don't take this personally but any person doing 200KPH on our public roads in any vehicle is a friggin IDIOT with no regard for others or themselves...

If they were good drivers they would never think of doing those speeds anywhere but on a race track...

well, simply put, I don't agree that if you drive "too fast" you get a free pass.

I don't agree that allowing the biker to put other folks in the public in danger is any different than a cop driving with his / her lights on putting people in danger.

but again, that's just me. cops should do their job.

when else can you break the law, but if you break it "too badly" you get a free pass to drive away....

its absolutely crazy for me to wrap my head around.

if someone is speeding, and you catch them in a radar trap, you go get them....

When they give the cops equipment that will go from 0-300 in under 5 seconds they might have a chance. Think about it; a guy is going even 200 km/hr (and many of these bikes can do way more than that) The cop radios ahead, the call takes 1 minute, that guy is already 2+ miles away. Now, if the cop did try to chase him from a dead stop there is no way the cop could catch that bike because by the time he got up to 200 kmph the bike would already be at least 2 miles ahead of him.

Where would you have them set up the road block? This isn't a "Smokey and the Bandit" type run, How many exits are there off the 407 in the Toronto area? This guy could have easily taken any of them then everyone would have been pissed off at the cops for delaying their commute.

Man some people won't let the cops win for loosing.

Following that logic nearly every vehicle on the road should be traveling too fast as even our boat towing pickups are easily capable of 200 km/h.

Someone who has never rode a bike before can go write their M1 test, pass, and be driving an uber fast Kawi 1400 that's capable of 300 km/h the same day. On the flip side, someone can get their G1 and in the same day can be driving a 1200 hp Bugatti that's capable of 425 km/h providing their older buddy with a G is with them.

People who are careless and drive too fast on their bikes typically drive in a similar fashion in their grocery getters. A bad driver is a bad driver no matter what vehicle they're in control of.

You guys wanna see bad drivers? Try riding two wheels and you'll quickly learn that those on 4 wheels are far more dangerous and careless...

Try driving 4 wheels and having to look out for the jerks on two wheels that think they don't have to obey traffic lights. I was in Guelph today making a left hand turn and a stupid young lady riding a bike decided to cross in front of me because she was on the sidewalk even though the don't walk light was lit. I have had my share of people riding two wheelers that think everyone else should get out of their way. Drive down town Toronto: Watch for the signs, watch for the tourists, watch for the streetcars, watch for the pedistrians, watch for the two wheelers, and you think people on 4 wheels are more dangerous? I don't, they just assist in the Darwin theory!

Edited by Big Cliff

Don't take this personally but any person doing 200KPH on our public roads in any vehicle is a friggin IDIOT with no regard for others or themselves...

If they were good drivers they would never think of doing those speeds anywhere but on a race track...

You sir just said it better than anyone else! :worthy:

I was probably one of those guys many years gone past.Had big rice burners,but gave that up after my first son was born.Dirt bikes and 3 wheelers then were the ride of choice as well.Now in my 50's,saving for a Heritage Classic special 1999 era,Harley of course. No need for speed now,just cruising and a nice investment. Being young and all that adrenaline sure plays havic with what's wrong or right. They just don't get it. My cars over the years,that's another story ,lol. If were being honest as some,I'm lucky as well to still be around.

Edited by davey buoy

Having grown up in a biker family, as well as the culture one thing is certain, bikers are more wary then those in cars then anyone else!

My father and all my uncles are bikers, as are many in my extended family. All drive Harley's.

Given the number of vehicles on the road, cars etc outnumber bikes many times over.

Most bikers are very cautious drivers based upon this, one of the reasons you have clubs... Safety in numbers. I learned how to drive a bike before I even hit puberty, I have owned a Harley and many dirt bikes etc. I was 6 with Honda trail bike...

That said there Are many nut jobs out there, and I would lay dollars to donuts most of them are on crotch rockets, wearing little more then shorts and a tee shirt... They have no clue about fear or biker etiquette.

I lost a good friend in highschool who bought a 1100 ninja as his first bike, never been on a bike in his life...

In short I am trying to say not all bikers are idiots, and they are more aware of the cars around them... Then the people in the cars are aware of the bikers near by..

Bikers have a saying.... Loud pipes save lives.

It forces/helps the texting/ cell phone talking morons In cars to take notice and say HEY I'm here!

Just one guys opinion has been on bikes since I could walk.

G

I have lost some good friends from high school. Two were idiots on their bikes,2 were driving back from a party and killed on heart lake road in Brampton. Both of their heads were taken off by the wire cable that was at the turn. The report came back as high beams blinded the driver.

Always wanted to get a bike. Each time I look at one,I change my mind.

My youngest brother has been riding since he got his lic. He was one wild guy in his younger years. I thought forsure,I would be seeing him at a grave the way he drove those dang crotch rockets. Today he drives a nice old harley he got off an ex metro cop. He like many of us that get older,grow up and enjoy the freedom of the ride.

Bikers have a saying.... Loud pipes save lives.

Right on G

He says the same thing. You may not see me,but you sure in the hell hear me. And his bike is loud.

I have lost some good friends from high school. Two were idiots on their bikes,2 were driving back from a party and killed on heart lake road in Brampton. Both of their heads were taken off by the wire cable that was at the turn. The report came back as high beams blinded the driver.

Always wanted to get a bike. Each time I look at one,I change my mind.

My youngest brother has been riding since he got his lic. He was one wild guy in his younger years. I thought forsure,I would be seeing him at a grave the way he drove those dang crotch rockets. Today he drives a nice old harley he got off an ex metro cop. He like many of us that get older,grow up and enjoy the freedom of the ride.

Right on G

He says the same thing. You may not see me,but you sure in the hell hear me. And his bike is loud.

Wolf headers from the US were my pipes of choice,although illegal in Canada at the time. Sound was not a issue,they knew we were somehere around.

Edited by davey buoy

Just to point out it is not the type of bike that makes someone an idiot it is the idiot that rides the bike. I have owned bikes over my life that range from a Honda 350 to a Dyna glide Harley at my best count it has been over 15 bikes and currently have 4 in the garage. That being said over the years I have seen idiots driving both types of vehicles. I now ride like I am invisible and only when the sun is up and traffic is light. I like restoring the older bikes with my brother and we have restored some really awesome examples of speed and power and the thing is they only went as fast as we ran them.

Art

My first bike was a 1947 Indian 1200 with a suicide clutch and a tank shift. That would have been about 1961, didn't even have a drivers license at the time but rode that bike all over the place. After that there was a few Harlies, (owned 7 of them at one point in various stages of restoration).

It isn't the bike that is the problem.

My first bike was a 1947 Indian 1200 with a suicide clutch and a tank shift. That would have been about 1961, didn't even have a drivers license at the time but rode that bike all over the place. After that there was a few Harlies, (owned 7 of them at one point in various stages of restoration).

It isn't the bike that is the problem.

You Said it right there...... Don't blame the bike.

Can't blame the car either....

Idiots are idiots..

G