Kawartha Report

muskylund1

I spent last week on Lower Buckhorn with my brother and nephew. My brother and I have been doing this trip for about 33 years now. Our dad started taking us years ago, but now he is too old and frail to come along. We had one of our best years ever. We boated 21 Muskies for the week, including 6 over 40". The two biggest were both 44". Muskies were caught on a variety of baits, but bucktails seemed to get the most action. All of our fish were caught casting. We only had one strike trolling and didn't hook the fish. My 44" fish hit a Double Cowgirl in the Whitefish color pattern.

Bass fishing was good with lots of fish up to 2lbs. We did catch a few in the 3-4 lb. range and my brother even landed Largemouths of 20" and 21". We did not catch as many Smallmouth as usual, but that may have been because the Largemouth were more numerous in our usual Smallmouth spots this year. A few were caught on topwater, but most were caught on tube jigs.

I don't usually target Walleye on this trip, but this year I made an exception. I caught 5 Walleyes, including 19", 20", 21.5", 24" and 26". All but one were caught on a Berkley Flatback Shad swimbait rigged with a 1/2 oz bullet head jig and a short wire leader.The technique I used was to swim it fairly fast with frequent momentary pauses. I would cast this in the same places that we fished for muskies and even had 3 Muskies strike it including a 36" that I landed.

Tom

002 (Mobile)_resized_1.JPG

007 (Mobile)_resized_1.JPG

009 (Mobile)_resized_1.JPG

011 (Mobile)_resized.JPG

013 (Mobile)_resized_1.JPG

016 (Mobile)_resized_1.JPG

018 (Mobile)_resized_1.JPG

Good to hear your trip north was so productive, you boys boated some really nice fish !!

I'm only about 5 miles from Lower Buck but haven't fished it in years, perhaps it's time to give it another go :lol:

Edited by lew

A great week of fishing for sure, with some good size muskies, most reports ive heard of L Lakes muskies with consistency have been smallish fish, with the odd single big fish in the mix. 20 to 21 inch buckets are pushin at least 4 or over, and some very quality walleyes to boot.

What kind of a hook do you use in the swimbait? Texas rig?

The swimbait was rigged on an Owner Bullet Head Jig. This is designed for Saltwater. The jig was either 1/2 oz or 3/4 oz. I'm not entirely sure. The technique can be found online if you search for "Doug Stange Swimbait Walleye". You should be able to find both articles and videos detailing this technique.

Tom

The swimbait was rigged on an Owner Bullet Head Jig. This is designed for Saltwater. The jig was either 1/2 oz or 3/4 oz. I'm not entirely sure. The technique can be found online if you search for "Doug Stange Swimbait Walleye". You should be able to find both articles and videos detailing this technique.

Tom

Thanks Tom