rain gear recommendation

brw

After about an 8 year run with mismatched but functional rain gear, I decided to upgrade and spent $200 on set of Gander's Guide Series matching bibs and jacket. I was profoundly disappointed in the jacket. Whole shirt was damp and it ruined my I-Phone w/ some great Canada pics of some decent walleyes (had it tucked away in a heavy duty pocket). This was a steady but light rain and I shouldn't have gotten soaked. Returned the gear and needless to say am in the market for some sustainable gear.

Any recommendations greatly appreciated. thanks!

Sounds like sweat destroyed the phone, not the rain. If I gotta take my cell out with me (Which is never) I'll put it in a ziplock bag, cheap insurance. People like the BPS Pro Qualifier, also the Simms gears is great (But pricey).. Lots and lots to choose from out there.

You can check out mountain hiking clothing lines. They offer great weather proof products that are also breathable. You would likely look for items that are shell specific. They have no insulation as it offers you a first line of protection against the elements. Columbia, North Face, Arcteryx, GoLite, Marmot, Mont-Bell, etc. Since they are more geared for hiking, they should all pack very easily and you can always wear it when you're not fishing.

I've found that the fishing specific bibs/jackets have too much insulation and if it's raining in the summer, tends to be too warm for my liking.

I use the BPS 100MPH suit. I do not have any complaints other than the jacket may be a little heavy in downpous in the middle of august. It is great to fall fish in though. They have a liner you can attach for colder months but I just prefer to layer up on those cold days...

It is really hard to beat GORE when looking for a waterproof breathable mateiral. I just decided to go wth the BPS because of the cost. It also helped that I somehow got a 25% off coupon from somewhere...

They also have great reviews on their website. The Pro Qualifier is a little cheaper but also get good reviews.

BillM it was rain, not sweat.Lower third of Phone was full of water. Agree 100% that if I even take it now I will ziplock it. Lesson learned. thanks for all the suggestions.

the water proof lifeproof case is great insurance for the iphone...well worth the money...even ziplocs are not overly waterproof if sitting in a pocket full of wader...want to know how I know this? lol

if money is no object, simms or arcteryx rain gear is great stuff

otherwise I tend to agree with the look for hiking gear, most fishing specific stuff is too heavy for warm summer use for my preferences

Edited by bare foot wader

I bought the guide wear from cabelas a few years ago because they offered the short inseam in their bibs but found the fine toothed zipper on the jacket kept coming apart. I returned the jacket only and replaced it with the Pro Qualifier from bass pro and have been happy with both pieces since. I did make a suggestion when I returned the jacket to install a coarser tooth zipper to alleviate the problem on the future but am not sure if they did.

This topic is continually raised and for good reason, it's something every angler needs.

In my opinion a really good gore tex rain suit is the best and most important investment an angler can make. Even moreso than rods/reels etc.

Spend the money once and buy something good. You will never regret it.

The trick to gore tex is to keep it clean, dirt and grime will trap moisture and also effect the breathability.

Clean as per instructions and treat with Nikwax or ReviveX, water should bead off the surface, shouldn't have any wet or soaked spots. Even waders after many hours standing in waist high water.

I have some Gore tex garments well over 10 years old, still completely waterproof and breathable.

Edited by stonefish

I was out in a torrential rainstorm this weekend in my 100mph suit. Others on the boat had different brands. I was the ony one that was 100% dry when it was all said and done. Just my personal experience.

The trick to gore tex is to keep it clean, dirt and grime will trap moisture and also effect the breathability.

Clean as per instructions and treat with Nikwax or ReviveX, water should bead off the surface, shouldn't have any wet or soaked spots. Even waders after many hours standing in waist high water.

I have some Gore tex garments well over 10 years old, still completely waterproof and breathable.

Yup,. once a year with Nikwash + the other bottle (Can't remember the name) will keep the water beading.. I do the same with my wading jacket.

Edited by BillM

I use westcomb rain gear and soft shells. They're designed and made in canada and VERY nice. Also quite pricey but they can be found on sale.

Another suggestion would be arc'teryx, marmot, or other higher end hiking/outdoor brands. Definitely get a waterproof breathable fabric like gore-tex or eVent (my new fav).

It's still Nikwash, but I think I use the Tech wash + Nikwax.. It's a 2 stage process.

Oh…yea, one bottle is to clean the fabric and the other bottle is for the DWR treatment to make the garment bead water. I thought you meant another brand of wash, which I made a mistake…Granger's and not Grange. Granger's also recommended for GoreTex fabrics.

Edited by FrankTheRabbit