searching for a "new" old truck

pike slayer

Head gaskets are a common problem on the 4.8.

Head gaskets are a common problem on the 4.8.

Hardly a common problem. Never met an owner who'd experienced head gasket issues. Google search might net you a few but you can find fault with just about anything if you put your mind to it. And your just so good at putting your mind to it Bill.

Hardly a common problem. Never met an owner who'd experienced head gasket issues. Google search might net you a few but you can find fault with just about anything if you put your mind to it. And your just so good at putting your mind to it Bill.

My best bud replaced a head gasket (Also a an entire rear axle assembly... Why Toyota didn't bother to put a rear diff cover on these trucks I'll never understand) as did the neighbour of my parents. But hey keep on believing what Google tells you :)

You must be a Tundra owner.

Edited by BillM

My best bud replaced a head gasket (Also a an entire rear axle assembly... Why Toyota didn't bother to put a rear diff cover on these trucks I'll never understand) as did the neighbour of my parents. But hey keep on believing what Google tells you :)

You must be a Tundra owner.[/qu

Bill, you're funny. Predictable, but funny. Isn't it time you start singing praises of your daddy's wonder diesel? Always the same thing. It's difficult to take anything you say too seriously as you're always so incredibly opinionated.

If Ford brought back the 5 speed manual stick with the 4.2 6 cyl in a single cab short box. I would be all over it.

Other than being a long box and a 4.9L I6, thats whats in my sig. I do prefer the long box though. I cant stand the small box trucks these days. Cant get much in em anymore if you're using em for any sort of work purpose. I love being able to put 8' sheets in and close the gate. Not to mention I can fit soooo much more scaffold and other things in it, in comparison.

You also have my vote for bringing back the standard.

Other than being a long box and a 4.9L I6, thats whats in my sig. I do prefer the long box though. I cant stand the small box trucks these days. Cant get much in em anymore if you're using em for any sort of work purpose. I love being able to put 8' sheets in and close the gate. Not to mention I can fit soooo much more scaffold and other things in it, in comparison.

You also have my vote for bringing back the standard.

I had a 97 F150 3 dr. Traded it in 2 years ago for a car due to the gas prices.. :wallbash:

ya the tacomas are out of my price range they want like $5000 for an 03 with 400,000km on it.

joeytier i was looking at the dakotas i've had 2 older ones that served me well. why do you say stay 04 and older whats wrong with the 3rd gen dakotas? if i get one i'd take the 4.7 or the 3.7 motors. i have the 3.7 in my 08 jeep liberty and i love it.

I've been eyeing up the f150s and done some research, the spark plug problems scare me and on car complaints it says avoid it like the plague, although its very popular with millions of them out there so you have to expect some kind of problems. are they really that bad?

i've been eyeing up the nissan titans to. anybody driving one of these?

im also not worried abut fuel economy with the truck. i drive my work van 5days a week in the summer and in the winter i take my truck on bad days. and i take my truck out fishing on the weekend. i miiggght put 10,000km on it a year and thats pushing it.

With one exception, which was a Dodge one-ton back in the mid-'80s and which was a pig, I have driven Ford pickups since 1977. I admit that my memory is not perfect, but I do not recall many problems with any of those trucks other than a three-quarter ton, probably about a '69 or maybe '70. That one I loaned to a buddy of mine, who I "THOUGHT" knew how to drive a standard, and who drove it out of oil. Then my wife drove it a hundred miles or so and told me afterwards that the oil light was on. Blown engine, and that was a big old flat-head six if memory serves me. Not Ford's fault.

I have never heard about the spark plug problems mentioned above, but yes if there are several million F-150s on the roads some of them are going to have issues. And the issues might be Ford issues, or they might be operator error issues, I have no earthly idea.

Doug

Bill, you're funny. Predictable, but funny. Isn't it time you start singing praises of your daddy's wonder diesel? Always the same thing. It's difficult to take anything you say too seriously as you're always so incredibly opinionated.

I'm glad I could put a smile on your face :) As for the oldmans Duramax, I'm guessing it's out of the OPs price range or it would have been the first thing I mentioned :) If you don't like my opinions, don't bother to read or reply to them. Pretty simple.

ya the tacomas are out of my price range they want like $5000 for an 03 with 400,000km on it.

joeytier i was looking at the dakotas i've had 2 older ones that served me well. why do you say stay 04 and older whats wrong with the 3rd gen dakotas? if i get one i'd take the 4.7 or the 3.7 motors. i have the 3.7 in my 08 jeep liberty and i love it.

I've been eyeing up the f150s and done some research, the spark plug problems scare me and on car complaints it says avoid it like the plague, although its very popular with millions of them out there so you have to expect some kind of problems. are they really that bad?

i've been eyeing up the nissan titans to. anybody driving one of these?

im also not worried abut fuel economy with the truck. i drive my work van 5days a week in the summer and in the winter i take my truck on bad days. and i take my truck out fishing on the weekend. i miiggght put 10,000km on it a year and thats pushing it.

Nothing wrong with the new dakotas at all, great trucks they just look poop in my opinion :). The older ones had more ground clearance and less cheesy body moulding. The titans are excellent trucks too from everything i hear, just an absolute bear on fuel. If youre looking used, i would simply pay more attention to how it was cared for by its previous owner than anything else. Most trucks on the market will be fine for what you want it for

Bill, you haven't bashed Fords yet, what's goin on???

After driving my buddies 2013 F150 for a few hundred kms last week, I'd be looking very seriously at a F-150 if I needed a full size. Very very nice.

I also haven't had a chance to work on many Fords, but quite a few Toyotas and the rest of the GMC/Chevy family (Add VW to that list as well).

Edited by BillM

After driving my buddies 2013 F150 for a few hundred kms last week, I'd be looking very seriously at a F-150 if I needed a full size. Very very nice.

I also haven't had a chance to work on many Fords, but quite a few Toyotas and the rest of the GMC/Chevy family (Add VW to that list as well).

I'm sure the newer Fords are very nice. My friend has an 07 with low k's and it has not been good to him. All kinds of problems. I like my old Taco with 500k on it and so far no problems(even the frame is solid!) :D

Now if VW would bring their Amarok, the rest would be kinda wondering what happened.

I wouldn't want to price out that thing especially with a TDI under the hood (Although I'd still be first in line to test drive one) The 2016 Caynon with the 2.8 Duramax I hope is as good as it looks on paper.

Edited by BillM

I can pipe in on the Titan. Anything before 08 has an issue with the rear axle seals leaking with the repair recommendations as replace rear end at customers cost. My 05 at 36000 was leaking and a bulletin was to replace the rear end as a unit not just the seals. Nissans response to me asking for help was to offer an employees discount if I bought a new one. I am now driving an eco boost F150 and I am really happy with my choice.

Art

I can pipe in on the Titan. Anything before 08 has an issue with the rear axle seals leaking with the repair recommendations as replace rear end at customers cost. My 05 at 36000 was leaking and a bulletin was to replace the rear end as a unit not just the seals. Nissans response to me asking for help was to offer an employees discount if I bought a new one. I am now driving an eco boost F150 and I am really happy with my choice.

Art

Wow, that's some pretty crappy customer service from Nissan.

You are correct Bernie it was $3600.oo worth of parts and labor to fix if I wanted it to be done. The shop manager and the dealership both went to bat for me and asked Nissan to pay and it still fell thru. Needless to say while I really did love the Titan as a truck with a few flaws it was the companies polices that made it a vehicle I will not own.

Art