Trouble Catching Pike

Broker

In past conversations I've had on the river, many people have told me how great of a spot McKenzie Creek on the grand river is for pike come spring time. I know its killer for other species and I've gone out 3 times for pike now getting nothing but OOS bass and catfish. I'm using a minnow under a float right where the creek meets river current, as well as further up creek. Had no luck at all and was just wondering if anyone could chime in as to why I'm having no luck. Could it possibly be the wacky spring we've had? Thanks. :Gonefishing:

Irishfiels is right lol. Some times the "hotspot" is where they caught two fish and exaggerated haha. This time of year for me its using nice big twitch baits/jerk baits and finding the right cadence. Shallow to relatively deep drop offs or rock piles, and spawning areas for suckers(not sure if that applies to your area though). Go get em dood:)

Any new weed growth areas are key this time of year, especially near an outflow and on a dropoff.

Sounds like the spot is good you may need to swich up tactics to eliminate other species from biting. Try huckin a big williams whitefish in silver or other flashy spoons, if that doesnt work then throw on a big floating rapala or jake and start jerkin. I wanna see some pics though...:)

At this time of the year you cant't predict 100% what species will be at a specific spot for certain. I've been to my favourite spot that I have fished for over 55 years and I have caught more Out of Season bass that ever. Yesterday I caught a bunch of pike and finally one walleye. This spot produces walleye consistently. You can't force a species to be there if it's not there. Different species move to this spot under different conditions. Water temperature, weather and time of day will ofter dictate what will be actively hitting at that time. Keep at it and enjoy each species.

muddler

Its been an odd weather year up here, so most of the fish are not where they normally are this time of the month. Maybe that has something to do with it but i'm not sure of the weather conditions where you live.

very true!!! Frig walleye here just started to spawn lol

Fishing partner Groundy grew up in Caledonia and tells about spearing Pike all day long on all the creeks here like McKenzie and bringing wagons full home with his bike for Mom's garden. I've been out this way for 20 years and don't even see anyone fishing the tribs for Pike anymore. I think Groundy caught them all.

But seriously it's probable a few weeks off before they spawn. Water temperature on Erie was 47F today. Nut's isn't it. I haven't even seen any Bass on the beds here on Erie, sometimes they are gone the first week of June like 2 years ago. I think bass opener is going to be a massacre as they will still be on the beds

Try some of the creeks between York and Highway 3 on River road that is on the west side of the river.

Side note, perch are hitting at Port Bruce. We threw everything under 10" back and cleaned 50 beauties all around 12" or more. Many, many Gobies, too many. Bring extra minnows that's all they wanted.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

First of all, I would be going shallow small bays with weeds and off the current, I would be looking for 3-5 fow.

If you are getting catfish then you are using too small a minnow. I wouldn't be using anything under 6" and would probably be looking for 7-8" suckers under a large bobber. Don't be too quick to try to set the hook! The pike will usually hit it from the side first then turn and take it head first.

I wouldn't be wasting my time casting or trolling for them right now, not to say you wouldn't get the odd one but I have fished many spring time pike derbys and we almost always placed in the top three. Big minnows, shallow bays just off the current and we had plenty of pike when others were having trouble getting even one.

Quote option isn't working anymore for me.

Big Cliff the tribs where the pike are usually found in spring are small creeks, and I mean small. No more than 20 feet across usually in most places. No shallow bays for sure. No power boats either along the river from Caledonia to Cayuga, this is stream fishing, Kayak or canoe maybe on the main river. For those that have tried using a boat here have learned how to change props. Great area for a Hovercraft, actually a guy tried to start a Hovercraft rental service but it never materialized. That would be fun.

What would you suggest for stream fishing for pike?

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Quote option isn't working anymore for me.

Big Cliff the tribs where the pike are usually found in spring are small creeks, and I mean small. No more than 20 feet across usually in most places. No shallow bays for sure. No power boats either along the river from Caledonia to Cayuga, this is stream fishing, Kayak or canoe maybe on the main river. For those that have tried using a boat here have learned how to change props. Great area for a Hovercraft, actually a guy tried to start a Hovercraft rental service but it never materialized. That would be fun.

What would you suggest for stream fishing for pike?

Exact same set up. Try the mouths of the creeks, I would be going up into the creek about 50 yards then fishing back toward the mouth.

Any way you look at it this is an odd year with the cold fall hard winter and late ice out the fish are reacting to different conditions.

The long and short of it is YOU have to hunt for them and figure out what's going on.

Don.

Most of us are shaking our heads wondering what's up.

Trout guys are happy.