MNR Pressence......Finally!

FloatnFly

No reg books and out in full force. Hmmmmm. Call me a skeptic but me thinks the directive has been given to generate revenue. Good to see them out as well just too bad its has more to do with revenue generation than education, preservation and conservation.

No reg books and out in full force. Hmmmmm. Call me a skeptic but me thinks the directive has been given to generate revenue. Good to see them out as well just too bad its has more to do with revenue generation than education, preservation and conservation.

What's wrong with revenue generation if it comes from poachers and the like? With a nice stiff fine, you better believe there's a little 'education' happening.

I was very happy to see them out by my house, i have never seen so many people fishing "crappie" in my canal it was unreal. I saw one guy keep at least double his limit, most people dragging anchors through spawn beds while drifting, many others tying off to peoples docks and properties without permission. One guy went from chucking a rubber frog to a 6 inch rapala (hmmmm....) another guy was chucking a massive reef runner spinnerbait and when i told him pike and bass are not in season he switched to his decoy panfish setup hahaha. My brain hurts from explaining the rules to people and my throat is hoarse from yelling at them. I called mnr about the poachers and the over limit guy and they came in the truck a couple times but the shore fisherman were mostly legal. The boat guys were ridiculous.

Anyways, for revenue or otherwise its nice to see them keeping these morons on their toes, i hope they launch the boat next year because they will make a killing lol.

On a side note there are no crappie left in my canal havent caught one in days( wonder why)

Edited by Gallie

What's wrong with revenue generation if it comes from poachers and the like? With a nice stiff fine, you better believe there's a little 'education' happening.

There is a lot wrong with it. With the influx of new Canadians over the last twenty years or so it would have been advantageous to see the MNR step up to the plate and show the full force then. Better late than never doesn't fly with government agencies considering they have the resources to head issues off at the pass. Just like the cop ticketing blitzes to meet quotas this is a cash grab pure and simple. Glass half empty? Maybe but at least I'm not easily fooled or appeased by false pretenses.

Edited by moxie

There is a lot wrong with it. With the influx of new Canadians over the last twenty years or so it would have been advantageous to see the MNR step up to the plate and show the full force then. Better late than never doesn't fly with government agencies considering they have the resources to head issues off at the pass. Just like the cop ticketing blitzes to meet quotas this is a cash grab pure and simple. Glass half empty? Maybe but at least I'm not easily fooled or appeased by false pretenses.

Glass half empty? Yeah, I'd say so... You whine more then a teenage girl.

It's quite apparent you hate anything to do with law enforcement. Which is fine, there are always a certain percentage of guys like you. Just don't bother trying to hide it behind some concern for the publics ability to access regulations and a dislike of "revenue generation". They don't hand out copies of the highway traffic act anywhere other than online, but you are expected to know it if you are licensed to drive!

All this flock of people fishing has to get from Toronto to there somehow.

Its good to see kathleen using her "revenue tools" to get the people using the roads to pay for them.

Edited by Dara

Just to let you know, I was into the MNR building in Peterborough on Saturday to re-new my license tags. Asked the girl if she had regs booklets she had boxes on the floor of both hunting and fishing regs. So if you just take more of an effort to find them, more so then just travelling to your local CT there out there to be had. If people want to make sure they are being responsible anglers then they should do whatever means it requires to do so, I know I do, ( but then again I greatly respect this resource) whether that's hunting around for a regs book or looking it up online etc. Doing otherwise opens you up to being fined, sad thing is a lot of people know the rules and still choose to blatantly break them. I know that my zone has maybe 1-2 changes per year and I'm capable enough to locate it over the intra-net, but I like the regs book for bathroom reading material and have never had a problem locating one. If anyone is desperate for a regs booklet let me know, I can pick one up for ya !

I was the one that took the pictures on Facebook.. it did not mater weather they had regs or not.. there 2 signs about 3 foot by 2 foot that says provincial sanctuary with a symbol with a fish on it with a big fat red line ... and i seen them what appeared to be letting "some" people that could not understand off with no licence and made them buy them and they caught one guy at the byway hole with a gaff... the part that surprised me is no one said anything to the guy with a gaff they just let him have his way with the resource ???

Did you say something to the guy with the gaff?

It makes me very uncomfortable to deal with people who are clearing raping resources, i have to convince myself that if no one stands up and says/does something there will be nothing left.

I do however feel better afterwards knowing that i at least tried.

if i was present i would have certainly said something .. i would have first tried to contact our local police force (port hope) they would have been there in a flash unless something big was happening .. but i have confronted my fair share of guys over the years... i gave a guy a heads up earlier in the day about fishing in the sanctuary i asked him if he could read English and he went off on me for being a racist i said i don't care if your asian black white green or purple i ask every one that question when your fishing under signs that are 3 foot by 2 foot.... cause if your fishing next to them you can't.. his response to me was i can more than afford a 2000 dollar fine for fishing here ....but he soon left when i continuously called him a poacher so ever one down steam could hear me... he tried to be the tough guy but he thought twice ... most guys if you embrase them they will fold

Glass half empty? Yeah, I'd say so... You whine more then a teenage girl.

Call it what you will. Long ago dear old Dad told me to question everything. As long as it gets people talking its a good thing.

It's quite apparent you hate anything to do with law enforcement. Which is fine, there are always a certain percentage of guys like you. Just don't bother trying to hide it behind some concern for the publics ability to access regulations and a dislike of "revenue generation". They don't hand out copies of the highway traffic act anywhere other than online, but you are expected to know it if you are licensed to drive!

Don't hate law enforcement, never been arrested nor have I been ticketed for a moving violation for at least 7 years. I am in most cases a law abiding citizen and will continue to be until that has to change. Judge as you will

I could turn around and accuse you of being the type of person that believes everything you see, read and hear. One who swallows every lie shoved down their throat. I could be wrong but I would be within my rights to do so, wouldn't I?

Ever skirt sales tax?

Just to let you know, I was into the MNR building in Peterborough on Saturday to re-new my license tags. Asked the girl if she had regs booklets she had boxes on the floor of both hunting and fishing regs. So if you just take more of an effort to find them, more so then just travelling to your local CT there out there to be had. If people want to make sure they are being responsible anglers then they should do whatever means it requires to do so, I know I do, ( but then again I greatly respect this resource) whether that's hunting around for a regs book or looking it up online etc. Doing otherwise opens you up to being fined, sad thing is a lot of people know the rules and still choose to blatantly break them. I know that my zone has maybe 1-2 changes per year and I'm capable enough to locate it over the intra-net, but I like the regs book for bathroom reading material and have never had a problem locating one. If anyone is desperate for a regs booklet let me know, I can pick one up for ya !

More of an effort? Like the effort they have made in the mismanagement of an entire ministry?

If they can get revenue out of those breaking the law, maybe the costs will stay down for those of us who obey the law.

Wish it were that cut and dry DB.

Missing the picture folks. These fines will not go towards the resource. I can't believe the gullibility of my fellow humans. Simply disheartening.

Isn't the office in Peterborough the one calling the shots for the MNR? If thats the case of course they have copies of the fishing and hunting regs. Anyhow, i always like seeing the MNR out doing there job, i appreciate that. I can see where moxie is coming from(as well as others), and I'm personally pretty darn close to sharing the same views as him. As for the guy with a gaff, I'd assume he was native and thats a darned tough one to approach. Sort of like calling a guy out on a hunting infraction while he's holding a rifle. Dont be stupid and get yourself harmed over a fishing offence, as mad as it makes us all. And again, he may well be within his right do do so?

With having the most personal checks in many years by the MNR on the ice this past season,I have to disagree. Maybe ,just maybe,it is.

I understand your thinking Brian but with almost $300 Billion in debt and counting what makes you think there is any money to feed the MNR and all it entails? MNR=General Revenue and its been that way for a very long time.

The guys and gals out in the field do great work and have a daunting task but if you pick their brain a bit you might just be able to get the real facts. The directive has been passed down. "Get out there and ticket every infraction possible cause we have election promises to fulfill". All with our own money.

Instead of posting links of articles or news flashes of people getting busted and how great a job their doing(You're doing their work for them by advertising, They're using you guys) why don't you guys post some backbone and let them know you see right through their charade. As destructive as indian protests can be we common folk could sure learn a thing or two from their understanding of "US against them".

I think my glass of whine has sprung a leak and its a lil more than half empty now.

I understand your thinking Brian but with almost $300 Billion in debt and counting what makes you think there is any money to feed the MNR and all it entails? MNR=General Revenue and its been that way for a very long time.

The guys and gals out in the field do great work and have a daunting task but if you pick their brain a bit you might just be able to get the real facts. The directive has been passed down. "Get out there and ticket every infraction possible cause we have election promises to fulfill". All with our own money.

Instead of posting links of articles or news flashes of people getting busted and how great a job their doing(You're doing their work for them by advertising, They're using you guys) why don't you guys post some backbone and let them know you see right through their charade. As destructive as indian protests can be we common folk could sure learn a thing or two from their understanding of "US against them".

I think my glass of whine has sprung a leak and its a lil more than half empty now.

and again, who cares what the reasoning is behind it, the fact that they ARE out and enforcing the regs is more than enough for me, I have seen ONE CO, ONE in nearly 20years of fishing

and again, who cares what the reasoning is behind it, the fact that they ARE out and enforcing the regs is more than enough for me, I have seen ONE CO, ONE in nearly 20years of fishing

It does matter cause theres the flip side. We were fishing from shore last night and there were approx 15-20 people there. CO performed the slow drive by, made a u-turn and left without even asking how the fishing was. Why bother coming around putting wear and tear on our truck and wasting our fuel?

Oh I know. There weren't any cameras and/or reporters. See my point now? When I punch the clock I bust my hump the whole 10-11 hours I'm there. Why? Cause it is what I'm paid to do.