Humanity...We Are A Strange Bunch

bushart

Little something different here---or somewhat of an observation...

And likely as an artist, I like many spend too much time thinking about death overall

Where this comes from is recently Jim Flaherty dies suddenly at age 64----the country is shocked---so young so much more to do etc.

Then yesterday Herb Gray dies at age 82----ok Good guy---good run... RIP

So apparently in this 18 year span therein lies an acceptable life span

Now everyone wants a long run but as you age you start having different stories ---2 funerals I've attended lately where the person died suddenly of a heart attack---the talk wandered into being "Lucky"

If your 20ish---you'll think I'm crazy

Whereas if your gonna go---that's the way

So i'll likely end up with more questions than answers----Are we afraid to Die?...Should we be? It is those left behind that have to carry on the struggle

There's a quote saying "To conquer death..you only have to die"

Now the medical profession tries to keep us around forever----but a personal experience where we have a relative at 90 with low quality of life----I'll leave out details---I'm thinking is not good either?

These question have always been asked I guess and always will---What is a good run??

Maybe I kept this note in my life for a reason-----My father died when I was 10----I then lost 3 uncles and a step father by 18

so it did teach me how fleeting this thing is----and trust me I've tried to punch life as hard as I could----hoping to avoid regrets

Anyway---yes I'm like everyone here waiting for ice out---and too much time to think I guess :)

I Always said though....If I'm Goin...I'm takin my fishin rod

at the time.jpg

Well that's a different topic. Personally, when your times up, your times up. Your biological design or gene make up along with how you treat your body has some influence outcome. Some people die early, some late. Some have horrible diseases and make it through, some die from the comon flu. I just look at all the different species on the planet and by far we have to be the most screwed up there could possibly be. Destroy nature, modify food that should never be, it's endless. Yesterday I heard about "powdered" alcohol, but we can't cure some other ailments.

Yeah good points fisherman----there's always the guy that walks away from the plane crash and somebody can't make it up an escalator

My cousin used to say---"if your born to be hanged....you'll never be shot"

Never gave it much thought until recently. I'm 50 and have lost friends and co workers around the 50 age bracket so you start to think about it more.

My grandfather died of cancer years ago. But they told him way before hand his time was running out. He had a bucket list and checked everything off before he was bed ridden. My father- in-law went to bed one night and had a heart attack and died in his sleep. Both where in there mid 70's and both lived there lives to the fullest right until the end. That is all I hope for. I just hope for my family I go this way. I don't wanna have my health so bad that I am unable to physically or mentally look after myself. I've seen many examples of that and I don't want it for myself or my family.

I learnt a long time back that the length of our stay on this earth is no where near as important as the quality of the time spent. I am by no means old, yet, and hope to stay a while.

All I know is that I have had a very eventful, fruitful, and busy life with little time to sit and be bored. I've loved a good challenge as much as a good meal or a good book. Done some things well into excess, including fishing .Been dead on the table once too. That was a real wakeup call. Life is for living. I'm not going to be one of those who whine at not having done more with their lives. Those who preoccupy themselves with death and the avoidance thereof are already half there.

Yeah that's somewhere near me as well Crappieperchhunter--Also in my 50's and trying to live as much as possible

Reminds me of that comedian's line-----If I figured I'd live this long I would have taken better care of myself

Yes Same here Big---not preoccupying myself with dying----just noticed the difference lately on the news----seems like somewhere there's a line---not sure if you hit 65-70---your granted good run??

Today, April 23rd, would be my son's 47th birthday, sadly though he was killed nearly 10 years ago and I figure he got ripped off for a whole bunch of living he should have had.

Today, April 23rd, is also the 17th anniversary of my dad's death, yup, he died on his grandsons birthday, and was buried 2 days later on April 25th, his own birthday.

Today's kind of a crummy day for me.

Edited by lew

Yeah Chris---again I recall my Mother worrying about me when I was out hunting on my own----always figured I run into a bear or wolves or somethin

Then my Cuz said the same thing in as "At least you'll die happy"

I'll be happy anywhere in between these two, as I have lots left to live for but not much more to prove. Dad died on April 18th.. just after his 59th birthday.. Mom just after her 83rd. I already beat my sister, that's name is on the back of this stone... she was 49.

Folks, those are the types of stories that should make us all appreciate every day and moment. For life is short and often not lived to its fullest or it's taken for granted and we become complacent. I hereby promise to fish as much as I can every chance I get from now on!

That stone fence reminds me of just about every settler cleared field in Ontario Terrance! lol... looks a lot like Gramma's "yard" in the Highlands!

As for my parents and sister, yes they're in Hillcrest in Smiths Falls

Now ..what my Mother was thinking when she had the stone inscribed, we still laugh about that one, especially now that I know the story behind it all these years later. (only person she ever told was my wife apparently)

Gonna hold ya ta that Shloim---now git fishin :)

Well Capt. .....we're gonna find out now.....eventually

Joey....No Soup for you!!! :)

Well Irish---I am in Highlands---tell everyone I livs on Walton's Mtn---and yes there are better days ahead

Thinking of those lost keeps their memory alive. As for those that will be left behind, no matter the mood the opportunity to let them know how I feel about them is rarely missed. They'll live theirs knowing I wish them the best and gave what I could. Thinking about it just eats up valuable time. This fire was lit 47 years ago and when its' time it'll burn out whether I like it or not. Bring on the soft water indeed.