anyone here finance a yamaha outboard?

Lunatic

if so what are you paying for an interest rate? im reading that outboard sales are rough so they charge north of 20% which is just insane.

if this is the case yamaha is the last place ill be going through for financing. i ask because i dont want soft hits on my credit finding out what their rates are like.

No I have never financed a recreational item, generally preferring my credit line when I have done in the past. Most recreational products the rates are much higher, even if you have exceptional credit, but 20 percent??? I can't imagine they would ever sell one through their own financing. They should give you a ballpark rate for someone with good credit without any kind of check, soft or otherwise. You know if your credit is good, bad or in the middle. Good luck!

20% is insane.

I had one Yamaha dealer offer me 3.99% on a new ATV, 3yr term.

I imagine you could find 5-8% quite easily from the dealers....generally they want financing now because they make money on the financing. I offered "cash" for an ATV and they said they preferred financing.

Not sure you'd get much better than 5-6% on a secured LOC.

Wayne's suggestion is best, but not always easy to do.... I ended up buying a used ATV to avoid indebtedness.

It's never a good idea to finance a toy, it's actually a very, very,bad idea. I don't know where you heard 20% interest rate. I'd imagine that rate for someone with terrible credit. Don't finance a toy, buy what you can afford or don't buy it. A vehicle to get you back and forth to work and serves a real purpose I can see but never something like an ATV unless you need it for business. If you don't have enough equity to get a line of credit where they don't care what you do with the money you can't afford this purchase.

Edit, I just read your profile and your interests, Harleys, cars and drinking? You can't afford a new ATV. I sound like my old man!

Edited by Old Ironmaker

I'm paying less then prime on my SECLOC....

I'm closer to 5 on my SELOC... maybe I need to talk to someone...I did just buy the house and had to do clever financing due to the large acreage which is not considered 'equity', maybe thats why I didnt get best rate.

Anyway, Lunatic, if you can get 6 or below I'd say thats a decent rate for such an item.

looking at a new toy right now, dealership said their lenders are around 6-7, but up to 29.99% for recreational items, depending on credit...I sure hope nobody ever signs off on 20% ouch, most lenders will try to sell you on monthly payments, don't fall for that

if you really want it, finance it, have some fun

not sure why this has become a moral lesson on savings.....

as for cars,harleys and drinking,i suppose i should update my profile since i no longer own the race car or the harley and im lucky to have time for a beer or 2 a week these days. not sure why an ATV came into this,also i probably could spring and pay for it all up front or at least a majority of it but i like to keep cash aside for emergencies.so a finance would be best for me i think. ,but thanks for all the opinions on the matter.

its good to know that 20% is not yamahas norm for financing.