Has anyone fished these lakes or lodges?

Lunatic

this will probably be my wife and I's last vacation for a few years so were want to make it a good one.

pike and bass is what we're after and muskie wouldnt hurt either of course lol

here are a list of a few that seem best for us. any opinions of these would be great ,i welcome other suggestions as well.

1.wolseley lodge (french river)

2.golden eagle camp (elk lake area)

3.charlton lake camp (espanola area)

4.silver springs cottage resort (elephant lake)

5.bear lake lodge (bear lake-french river)

we will be going in july and have our own boat (14ft 20hp) so not too interested in huge bodies of water. thanks to all who offer an opinion

Do an engine search. Lots on this place.

im glad i did that. it reminded me of that one couple who had a vacation ruined and if i recall golden eagle stepped up and took them in. ialways wondered how it turned out and now i know.

We booked Golden Eagle for the 1st weekend in October for 4 nights....6 of us are going with 3 boats. We're taking our own boats and going to be doing a little hunting too.. Great prices and so looking forward to taking my dad who is 81..

Should be a great trip...

Fished French River out of Wolesley Lodge and Bryer Lodge, which is just down the bay from Wolesley. These were weekender trips in the fall. The fishing was not too good for us, but that doesn't really mean anything since it was only about six days of fishing total. I preferred the Bryer Lodge cottages though. That being said, we haven't been back and probably won't consider it for our next fall weekender. We were thinking of maybe trying a different part of the French River though. The French River is very beautiful. Once you enter the park it's almost like being on a lake in Northern Ontario.

You might also want to consider Crane's Lochaven Lodge on the French. It's a 20 minute boat ride out of Wolsey Bay.

Great camp....clean, comfy cabins, good food, and wonderful owners and staff. I'm usually there 3 times a season.

Bass fishing can be quite good. Pike can be hit or miss, but you'll certainly catch some. And there are absolutely no big muskies there....I mean it....don't even take muskie gear....they are all gone. If you happen to see me casting muskie plugs there, it's only an illusion.

this is all great info thank you.

im really leaning twords elephant lake, but not a fan of the walking across the road ,down a hill part tho.

also totem point lodge was on my top 5 before i replaced it with bear lake. might have another look at totem. i read a review on a website where they review lodges and fishing and i think they said the german owner banned the whole group for life because of a cottage not being up to par LOL

The fishing on elephant and baptiste is excellent. Lots of 5 pound plus Bass, some excellent pike and very good musky.

ive been reading many old posts and websites where people claim that the musky in elephant are all but gone due to snot rocket pike?

• 4 weeks later...

Bryer is nice, but their docks cannot handle a boat bigger than 17ft imo. My Lund Predator 2010 stuck out like 4 ft past the end of the docks. I tend to go to Wolseley Lodge, but Harold can be a little over the top on... well everything

Pretty near gone in elephant yes, but in Baptiste there are still good musky to be had. Bass fishing in both lakes is excellent.

If your goal is musky though I would go for the French.

There are musky around but they're far and few between these days. LOTS of hammerhandle pike in the lake these days, but lots of nice bass if you know where to find them as well. The walleye population has REALLY declined over the last little bit due to the pike taking over.

If you're going up to the Baptiste/Elephant/Benoir lake area I'd look at Birchcliff Lodge, great place, great staff, and always fun. Can't say enough good things about them (disclosure: a family friend is invovled with the lodge). It's on Baptiste vs Elephant but they're connected and it's a big lake chain.

F_ast - Would Harold be the owner from Barrie who operates a catering business in Barrie? If so he is the one who purchased the lodge from Jules & Nicole. I used to frequent Wolsely quite often Three times a year for 10 years. The guy from Barrie purchased the lodge from Jules & Nicole, I never returned. Jules & Nicole were top notch!

Edited by wormdunker

Bryer is nice, but their docks cannot handle a boat bigger than 17ft imo. My Lund Predator 2010 stuck out like 4 ft past the end of the docks. I tend to go to Wolseley Lodge, but Harold can be a little over the top on... well everything

we ended up booking at totem point lodge on wolseley bay. just counting down the days now :)