Check this out! No more cable bills! All the tv you can watch!

tb4me

What raf says.... I will add it also depends on the demand you upstream provider is experiencing.

I have 14mbps here and stream hd with zero issues using the box I purchased.

I don't want to get into what box is better, what website is better what seller is better nonsense, what I can say for fact is the unit I picked up works. Plain and simple. And you don't have to be a computer nerd to use it. Just plug In and go. Any updates required are pushed OTA. Provided by where I purchased it from..... For now....in my experience these companies don't last forever, I felt better to own a unit I control, should a company go teats up. I am not left with a brick.

For those of you considering this... Use it to augment your current service. Until you decide it is right for you. And either cancel your service or lower your cost by going with basic service... Up to you.

Here in my house we watch first run movies, series (including ones from netflix exclusive ones for free, however not broadcast from Netflix)and documentaries, fishing shows.... This list goes on and on. If you are a netflix subscriber you can use it on your box as well.

I have had a bunch of pms asking me if a computer is needed. The answer is NO! The box you purchase is the computer, it runs on android, so if you can use your cellphone you can use this... It is just another app :)

Go to YouTube, and search gbox or xbmc you will see for yourself just how simple this system is to use.

One last thing to say in this thread...

Would you be willing to pay a monthly fee for something you own outright? A car? A boat? Sounds like a bill for something you already bought paid for and own. Just for the privilege of using the item you own? The whole idea is to eliminate bills!

Not me. I bought what works, and free support from a trust worthy company ( for however long they are around like most others)

No matter what u decide to do.... It is a great way to stop the big three machine.

Good luck and if u have any questions pm me.

G

I know more now concerning the options for TV signal vs. Ma Bell and Mr. Rogers. Early in my life I would be afraid to ask a question occasionally in case I was supposed to already know the answer to. I came up through the ranks and missed 4 years or so of engineering. Now I couldn't care less. I have a few question for you guys that only a very simple basic knowledge PC user would ask. Never too old to learn, right Big Cliff? I am somewhat confused as well and stopped counting the number of options for service at 6.

Some simple questions for some of you if you will please.

What is "android box fully rooted" to mean?

"Buying it unlocked"?

What is meant by download/upload?

What is Bandwidth and why is it important?

How is Bandwidth and live stream related?

Live stream is live TV? Like a game on TV is broadcast live in real time?

That's it for now, from Page 1, thanks.

I have watched a few shows I missed on the internet through the network i.e. History Channel, get 1/2 way through and a tiny circle appears and the video dies, need to start from the beginning, it drives me nuts. If this can happen with these boxes forget it I'll pay my 70 bucks for Bell Expressive, which I hate paying but works even through some bad storms here on Lake Erie shoreline. I watch only HD channels, again it's worth the goof tax to Bell for HD if not much HD on these boxes.

I should be able to help here.

Android is essentially the operating system the box has installed in it, like windows on a computer. Fully rooted i believe means that's it all set up, the best apps are already loaded on to it from the company when you buy it so you can just plug it in and use it.

I believe unlocked is related to my last sentence above, I think.

Download/upload is the speed at which you can download content from the web, according to the service you have. Like i said above we have 5Mbps (5000 Kbps) download speed and we can put stuff out on the Net at 800 Kbps. The faster the speed the faster you can receive content, images, movies. Thus my concern about live tv being choppy, starting and stopping when viewing it.

Bandwidth is related to the above but also how much your package from your provider allows you to download per month before it starts to cost you extra for exceeding that limit. We pay a little extra per month to be able to download an unlimited amount of content.

Bandwidth and live stream i basically covered 2 paragraphs above.

Live streaming is yes, watching something as it's happening live, like HNIC on Saturday.

I like the idea Gerritt had about using the Gbox to watch movies and older shows etc, as they won't be streamed live, then keeping a basic package from bell that will allow us to watch HD channels and live sporting events. It's probably the way we will go until our download speed improves out here in the country.

Thanks to all for the info, great thread.

I've had a gbox for a very long time. Actually, I gave my first one to my son when he got his own apartment to save him from having to paying for cable. I replaced to with a much faster unit and a remote that is dual wireless mouse and a keyboard. I can't imagine how much this thing has saved me in nights out at the movies and rentals!! It has paid for itself 10 times over in movies, FLW, National Geographic, Documentaries, and BBC1 programming (Mrs. Browns Boys! LOL)

People interested in this should look at Roku. Best device I have used for streaming. I've used it to cut the cord at my house. Best thing is live sports is completely do-able and full HD quality for about $100 per season per sport. In fact, some of the services are better than paying for the Gamecenter/Super Sports packages because you have full DVR capability for EVERY game in NBA and NHL. NFL is also available but requires you to use the official NFL game center package and use a EU DNS service for $200 for the season. I've gone from $$150 a month to $40 and have access to every game for every sport I watch. Any shows I want to watch I downloaded to begin with so I continue to do that.

Once my discounts run out in June with Rogers my annual tab will be in the 2,400/year range and I think that is insane given the service is mediocre!!!

I think I will try one of these G Box things to see if it will work for me.

that is insane

on the topic of gbox and other streaming devices:

if you're a hockey nut make sure the gbox has nhl gamecenter support. Downstairs, we stream gamecenter/netflix to my PS3 and also have a gbox-like android based box that I stream the 'other' content discussed here. Upstairs I have a 2nd box (Western Digital Live) that we stream netflix to.

if you break it down monthly my bill is $20 / month for netflix/nhl gamecenter/local blackout unblocker/netflix region picker .. plus the internet (teksavvy ~$45 / month for 25/2 300GB) I'm assuming you're already paying for internet so that's no or minimal additional cost (if you need to upgrade it). I do have an antenna mounted on my roof pointed at the CN tower for the local channels (I'm in Grand Valley)-- which other than the cost of the antenna, is now free. if my math is right that's $240 - 10% of your yearly $2400. our viewing habits may differ so this may not work for you.

Edited by Raf

Unfortunately I now live in a apt. in Orangeville so I don`t think a antenna will do much for me, judging by the videos I have seen most of the network shows I like to watch will be available in some form so that is not a issue, my wife likes to watch dancing with the stars, bachelor and all that crap and that should be available in some form as well maybe not live but the day after should work.

I can get Whightman internet for about 50 bucks a month and it has no caps so that seems like a fair deal.

I am going to order the G Box and fiddle around with it and see if it will suffice, nothing ventured nothing gained...we`ll see if it works out!!!

I should be able to help here.

Android is essentially the operating system the box has installed in it, like windows on a computer. Fully rooted i believe means that's it all set up, the best apps are already loaded on to it from the company when you buy it so you can just plug it in and use it.

I believe unlocked is related to my last sentence above, I think.

Download/upload is the speed at which you can download content from the web, according to the service you have. Like i said above we have 5Mbps (5000 Kbps) download speed and we can put stuff out on the Net at 800 Kbps. The faster the speed the faster you can receive content, images, movies. Thus my concern about live tv being choppy, starting and stopping when viewing it.

Bandwidth is related to the above but also how much your package from your provider allows you to download per month before it starts to cost you extra for exceeding that limit. We pay a little extra per month to be able to download an unlimited amount of content.

Bandwidth and live stream i basically covered 2 paragraphs above.

Live streaming is yes, watching something as it's happening live, like HNIC on Saturday.

I like the idea Gerritt had about using the Gbox to watch movies and older shows etc, as they won't be streamed live, then keeping a basic package from bell that will allow us to watch HD channels and live sporting events. It's probably the way we will go until our download speed improves out here in the country.

Thanks to all for the info, great thread.

Thank you very much for the help. Much appreciated.

Unfortunately I now live in a apt. in Orangeville so I don`t think a antenna will do much for me, judging by the videos I have seen most of the network shows I like to watch will be available in some form so that is not a issue, my wife likes to watch dancing with the stars, bachelor and all that crap and that should be available in some form as well maybe not live but the day after should work.

I can get Whightman internet for about 50 bucks a month and it has no caps so that seems like a fair deal.

I am going to order the G Box and fiddle around with it and see if it will suffice, nothing ventured nothing gained...we`ll see if it works out!!!

Forget Wightman not fast enough...perhaps Teksavvy or Start communications!!

Got the box ordered and a new ISP lined up...won`t be long now before I say goodbye to Rogers altogether!!!

id keep basic rogers just for live sports..I know your a hockey fan...lol

Ya probably keep it until this season is done...I will have lots of time to tinker with this new toy over the nextcouple of months, from what I have seen and read there is a endless amount of content and tricks to get premium content for a fair price.

My goal is to get rid of Rogers all together because frankly they are criminals, when I signed with them last June they offered me certain things and it turns out they just outright lied just to sign me up!

I

Once your discounts run out with Rogers, call them and ask for another one.. I do this all the time...

This. I go back and forth. Had all services for bell for free for a full year. Paid 75 to cancel. Now I have 4 months free for rogers no contract.

Its funny you mention Rogers. Just before I started with xbmc , it turns out there is a "local" guy that door knocks. Turns out ,He lived not to far from me. Anyway he got me a great deal on the new long range wifi modem the Rogers nextbox pvr free for 6 months for both no contract. All just to switch from bell. So needless to say in 5 months time I will cut back to basic cable and keep the internet package. XBMC is awesome! Found an amazing HD TSN feed for tonights game..

Edited by tb4me

When I signed with Rogers they told me they would give me 100 $ rebate...never did they lied...they said they would give me 2 boxes free for 3 years...now they tell me sorry that deal is now 12 months...they lied...their equipment is junk constantly freezing and rebooting...they are a rotten company and they treat the customer like they are doing them a favour!

Rogers are criminals it's as simple as that...