4 days 5 lakes (2 were NF - No fish)

Rod Caster

The weather was great this loong weekend. I added an extra 'O' because I took Friday off as well.

JoeyTier and his two buddy's and my Buddy (my dog's name) took advantage of some days off and of the relatively clement weather (clement is the opposite of inclement, right?) to take to the bush and fish hard. It's not that it was very warm (-27 one morning), but the sky's were stable and we finally reached above -10. Monday was the best day....more about that later.

For me, it started Thursday night. My Dad and my Brother met for a quick evening fish on Nipissing. This time of year, being 'later' in the winter, the big walleye tend to start feeding a bit more. I fish Nipissing not only for sustenance (perch, ling, walleye), but also to catch and release 5+ lbs walley...I love seeing those big slabs! Well, the big girls have started feeding, as my brother caught a 7lbs 3oz fatty at 27.5".

Out of respect for my Brother and not posting his face on the internet, I made some modifications :D

IMG_20140213_170140_zpsb84fc538.jpg

We had a nice sunset so I took a photo opportunity with my Cherokee.

IMG_20140208_171921_zps4cd8554e.jpg

On Friday, we snowmobiled to a large back lake for walleye/pike and caught nothing but dinky perch. My wife was a trooper and joined me, but she was a bit pregnant and feeling ill, so it was a bit of a tough day. She's really awesome to have stuck it out until dusk No photos.

Saturday, we took advantage of Lake Trout opener. It was bright and sunny and we were stoked. Here is Buddy doing the hard work for me. That dog LOVES pulling stuff!

IMG_20140215_093717_zps61985285.jpg

The group got two decent lakers, and I missed a good one (suprise suprise for the laker loser). Not what we had envisioned, but still I enjoyed the day and would return to that lake.

Sunday, we reverted back to Nipissing...a confidence booster if you will. The walleye were on fire for me, and Joey's buddy got a solid 4+ lbs big girl, released back to the lake. He also caught a 6lbs+ ling which I kept and cleaned..

Tip: clean ling partially frozen, otherwise they are like slippery eels

IMG_20140216_180905_zps6af5e735.jpg

IMG_20140216_180918_zpscf6596af.jpg

IMG_20140216_202251_zps1186d566.jpg

IMG_20140216_202500_zps2023628a.jpg

IMG_20140216_202624_zps2225569e.jpg

Monday, it was -27 in the early morning. So we started later :) . We opted for another Lake Trout lake and it was a great decision on Joey's part. Not only was it -10 and no winds by noon but within 3 hours we had our limits (2 each, 3 guys) of 20"-24" orange-fleshed trout (with other fished missed). We then moved to a splake lake to fill our aggregate limits but the splake didn't cooperate; it was still a perfect cap to the loong weekend.

IMG_20140217_113539_zps4c9f45f7.jpg

IMG_20140217_132227_zps234fecad.jpg

IMG_20140217_132241_zps076fa307.jpg

Gaaawd I love fishing!

Fishing was solid! Ling cleaning was nasty. Your brother looks like a man-witch. Overall I give this report an A-

Keep trying. ;)

haha thanks, I'll take as a compliment :) I would need a 50+ gar, an Atlantic and the only Coho swimming in Nipissing to deserve an A+ hahaha.

Some good fishing there, well done!

So how was the ling in your opinion compared to walleye? Good, better, worse?

I have my own opinion, just curious what you thought.

Not as good as walleye. In fact, on it's own I don't love it. But...it's flesh quality being slightly rubbery and not-flaky is great in chowders and other stew-type meals. Whereas walleye and perch would flake and fall apart the Ling holds up, which is why I like cooking with it.

Nice report!

Seen a new Cherokee parked on the side of a backroad on our way out of winter paradise Monday morning. We waved at the guy next to it on a sled, Joeytier perhaps? Those lakers sure are tasty nothing like the foul simcoe greasers I'm used to.

Was it a red Polaris sled? If so, that was him! How'd you guys do out there?

Yup that would have been us driving by in the red dodge with 4 sleds on the trailer.

We did real good on the lakers, but no luck with splake or rainbows. Only fished those lakes a handful of times but the bows and splake seem super hit and miss.

Hah! That's too funny! Good to hear you guys did well. The splake fishing can be dynamite and the rainbows I typically won't even bother with until open water.