Soaking mono before spooling up

hammercarp

used to do it when i used a lot of mono. idea is to stick it in water to soften it up/make it really limp before spooling -- makes it easier to do so and reduces line twist. the former is definately the case, i am not sure about the latter.

it's something my dad did all the time on spinning reels and i learned it from him

Edited by Raf

I did do it all the time when using mono. You never know what the memory is like on the spool as you just don't really know how long it's been sitting on the shelf in the store AFTER it's left the MFG's plant. A nice warm bucket/bowl of water has helped me in the past as far as I can tell. No more line loops since doing so with mono. Mind you I only have mono on, wait I've said too much...

I have no opinion on this, but something to keep in mind is that mono absorbs water and expands. I left a fly reel in the water once and the mono backing expanded and blew the fly reel apart like it was made out of plastic. It was a very expensive reel too. :wallbash:

I just read some about an angler that is soaking their monofilament line before winding it onto their reel. Has anybody ever heard of this? Is there any advantage to doing this?

Is he 90 years old and started out with catgut leaders in his youth. You had to soak them before using them.