Close call on Hwy 11 (NF)

Jds63

I have watched that a few times now and it scares me every time. I have had it happen to us a few times while pulling the boat or snowmobile trailer. We had to leave the road to avoid.

So glad they caught the guy. Hope they throw the book at him, he deserves it.

This sort of thing happens all the damn time..Its scary out there..The only reason we see it now is because of all the in car cameras..Im starting to think about installing one in my P/U truck. Every weekend we go up the 401 to the Trent River I see something extremely stupid..Every weekend we go..Its not just the transport drivers, although they can cause the most damage..
Short story about our last trip..lol Some guy was following a lady a tad too close on the 401 around Clairington, well the lady in the car out front (in the passing lane) thought it would be smart move to slam on her breaks because she thought this guy was too close. Well the guys car instantly went sideways (I assume he had major break issues the way his car instantly went sideways) he spun around and nailed the gaurd rail with his passenger side door all right in front of me and 2 loaded tractor trailers..If I had a camera installed I would have happily provided footage cause that woman just kept on driving..Unreal..Some folks should get their heads read

I drive highway 17 North Bay to Pembroke weekly. Man it's the autoban out there after 10:00 pm. There's no railroad up the Ottawa Valley anymore.......because it's out on the highway with Kenworth written on it! If you're not doing 115 to 120 on that highway at night, under any road conditions, you will be run over by a semi! Don't worry about moose or black ice ....pedal to the metal.

There must be a reason for this reckless behaviour. They can't be all idiots??

Dan O.

I have been watching this video over and over again. Under no circumstances ever and I mean ever! Should anyone scream like a girl.

:-)

All joking aside, that is pretty scary.

TJ excepted :whistling::w00t:

Edited by Joey

Man oh man, scary. I don't think the oncoming trucker (truck #1) that was passing saw the poor guy (truck #2) until around the 9 second mark in the video.

At 3 seconds you first see both headlights of truck #1. At 9 and10 seconds truck #1 driver veers slightly to his right thus averting a head on collision. If I can see his lights he can see mine. From the video there was at least 7 seconds that the oncoming trucker #1 continued heading strait into the path of the truck #2 with the camera. I don't think truck #1 realized there was any danger because he didn't notice truck #2 until he veered slightly to his right. Was he drive dreaming, hand on the wheel and mind somewhere else. I know driving on a white snow covered road mesmerizes me sometimes on a long drive.

After retiring I had the opportunity to do a round trip with a buddy that long hauls south for whatever load he can get down and back. Because of that trip I now have the greatest of respect for these guys and gals hauling 53 foot trailers. We had close calls exactly when my pal said we would. Just before we hit the Cumberland pass he warned me to watch out. Right on cue we had some close calls. Being me I tried to analyze why. Heading east in the morning into the sun, going from night to day is a time accidents both on and off the road happen coming off night shift?. Watching the striped lines? Many factors I'm sure have been studied in depth by some. My buddy made some stupid moves himself. He was downing beans like they were breath mints. Drank a gallon off coffee a day. Drove when he was too tired to talk straight. I don't know how they do it, and it's not a very well paid career based on the hours alone. Using the Ontario Labor Act I calculated if he was paid $20.00 an hour plus what he would have qualified for OT he would have tripled what he made after expenses as it's his own rig.

But like I said since that trip I sure have a new respect for you guys and gals and keep my distance and give the rigs plenty of room now.

Hurry up and stop seems to be the mentality, speeding only gets you to your stop a few minutes before you would have gotten there doing the speed limit. Why die for an extra cup of coffee.

I wouldn't be so hard on the guy as I'm sure he didn't realize he was even in danger let alone anyone else, who would consciously do what he did? Leaving the scene is something else, he was conscious of that and the book should be thrown at him for just that alone, I agree.

Man oh man, scary. I don't think the oncoming trucker (truck #1) that was passing saw the poor guy (truck #2) until around the 9 second mark in the video.

At 3 seconds you first see both headlights of truck #1. At 9 and10 seconds truck #1 driver veers slightly to his right thus averting a head on collision. If I can see his lights he can see mine. From the video there was at least 7 seconds that the oncoming trucker #1 continued heading strait into the path of the truck #2 with the camera. I don't think truck #1 realized there was any danger because he didn't notice truck #2 until he veered slightly to his right. Was he drive dreaming, hand on the wheel and mind somewhere else. I know driving on a white snow covered road mesmerizes me sometimes on a long drive.

After retiring I had the opportunity to do a round trip with a buddy that long hauls south for whatever load he can get down and back. Because of that trip I now have the greatest of respect for these guys and gals hauling 53 foot trailers. We had close calls exactly when my pal said we would. Just before we hit the Cumberland pass he warned me to watch out. Right on cue we had some close calls. Being me I tried to analyze why. Heading east in the morning into the sun, going from night to day is a time accidents both on and off the road happen coming off night shift?. Watching the striped lines? Many factors I'm sure have been studied in depth by some. My buddy made some stupid moves himself. He was downing beans like they were breath mints. Drank a gallon off coffee a day. Drove when he was too tired to talk straight. I don't know how they do it, and it's not a very well paid career based on the hours alone. Using the Ontario Labor Act I calculated if he was paid $20.00 an hour plus what he would have qualified for OT he would have tripled what he made after expenses as it's his own rig.

But like I said since that trip I sure have a new respect for you guys and gals and keep my distance and give the rigs plenty of room now.

Hurry up and stop seems to be the mentality, speeding only gets you to your stop a few minutes before you would have gotten there doing the speed limit. Why die for an extra cup of coffee.

I wouldn't be so hard on the guy as I'm sure he didn't realize he was even in danger let alone anyone else, who would consciously do what he did? Leaving the scene is something else, he was conscious of that and the book should be thrown at him for just that alone, I agree.

Always enjoy your input OI. Well said.

I honestly don't know how they can get insurance with the amount of them that I see in the ditches and on their side. Not only is the rig wrecked but the goods that they're carrying must be a write off too.

Especially temp sensitive loads. ...happens all the time.

Some companies are numbered xxxxxxONT companies that shut down and start a new number after a write off. Bigger companies like Transforce (TransX), Seaboard and Day and Ross etc, are self-insured to a certain point. They have losses every week and can't justicy the premiums.

For a $100 on ebay you too can get a dash mount camera and a rear windshield camera combo. I have one and it's great. I bumped a guy one time coming out of a parking lot and he claimed I damaged the opposite side if his car (which the damage was obviously already there). Since then I have had my camera and it's been handy. I had one guy reverse right into me when he was too far into an interaection. While he Acknowledged responsibility, the camera reassured me that he couldn't claim I hit him. Worth the $100. All cars should have this mandatory from the manufacturer if it were up to me.