Where to retire to - Kawarthas or Muskoka?

fisherman7

I can't have sheep Art... too many of the guys on here would want the OFC parties held here... :ninja:

As I noted previously fisherman7.. check each municipalities website and find their mill rate and see which one better suits the financial situation. There is a huge difference from place to place thanks to the mill rate being pretty much based on the average home. As an example... in the town of Penetang for instance the average house cost is under $150k for the main town core, so they try to get 2 grand each out of those for taxes. So that leaves a $900K water front to pay 6 times that or around $12,000/yr. We have no "in town / out of town" rate differential, all pay the same.... where as if you were in Temagami you pay the full mill rate to be in town and anyone that is outside the town limits in the municipality only pay 1/2 the mill rate. So a $200k house in town pays the same taxes as a $400K house out of town. Not many do that, but they're out there.. Where I am right now use to be Tay Township... but we got screwed when we were amalgamated into the town of Penetang, with a 43% tax rise the day it happened.

Consider

1. Proximity to hospital

2. Shopping. Banking. Beer store. Gas. Home Depot. Costco.

3. Species of fish you target.

4. Proximity to social/community stuff.

5. Boating opportunities. ie. Trent System. vs landlocked lake

6. BLACKFLIES. -way less in Kawarthas

7. Granite vs limestone. Stoney Lake/Lower Buckhorn/Northeast Pigeon/Big Bald- could be Muskoka.

8. Proximity to neighbours

9. Boat traffic

10. Stable water levels. Can't beat the Trent. (till Thanksgiving)

We chose North east Pigeon for all the above reasons with some compromise.

I need walleye and muskie.

When friends in Muskoka/Haliburton are slaughtered by blackfies in May/June I just smile

Just sayin

Good luck with your decision

X2

Sue and I spent 4 years looking for our retirement waterfront dream home. We chose to be on Sturgeon Lake because of the proximity to the hospital and Sue's heart condition and many of the other factors listed above. We are at that point where swimming isn't a big deal for us anymore but it is still nice to be on the water and waterfront property is a good investment (with very few exceptions they just aren't making any more of it).

If you do decide to come up this way, there are a lot more factors that you need to take into consideration; septic systems, wells (flow, recovery, water condition) and I'd be happy to sit down with you and share some of what we have learned! It is an important decision, just make sure you have all the facts and consider the future.

Good luck!

X2

Sue and I spent 4 years looking for our retirement waterfront dream home. We chose to be on Sturgeon Lake because of the proximity to the hospital and Sue's heart condition and many of the other factors listed above. We are at that point where swimming isn't a big deal for us anymore but it is still nice to be on the water and waterfront property is a good investment (with very few exceptions they just aren't making any more of it).

If you do decide to come up this way, there are a lot more factors that you need to take into consideration; septic systems, wells (flow, recovery, water condition) and I'd be happy to sit down with you and share some of what we have learned! It is an important decision, just make sure you have all the facts and consider the future.

Good luck!

Thanks for the offer Big Cliff. We took a drive this weekend around Pigeon, Upper Buckhorn and Chemong. Once we get closer to the date I'll look you up. Thanks again.