BC walleye?

bare foot wader

When most folks think about fishing in BC it tends to be mostly about the salmon and trout, but I am fortunate to live pretty close to one of the few natural walleye lakes - Charlie lake, which is located at about the 50 mile marker up the Alaska highway. Not many eyes over the 5lb mark, but is a fish factory for the 18-24 inchers. Figured I'd post a few pics, most of my buddies are surprised when I tell them I fish walleye in BC.

My ice season got off to a slow start, rats found my otter portable, which in turn collected rain water all summer (why don't I check up on things! damnit) and also about 20 lbs of rat turds and urine. Back before Christmas I was dealing with a 5' long block of frozen ice/turds/urine...perfect excuse to pick up a new pop up while I thawed and sanitized over and over and over until the stench slowly went away

I would not wish this stench on anybody, in hindsight, I should have been wearing a mask and gloves hahahah

P1000424.jpg

the only positive was those plano waterproof boxes are actually waterproof and 2 of my 3 ice boxes were completely ok, without any cleaning...the other box took some CLR and about 50 bucks in new hooks

We had some very mild weather and ice got sketchy...froze up again and this past Sunday I was itching to get out. The navionics app is pretty handy, starting to use it more (this trip was essential as I forgot my GPS) and it was pretty accurate on water depth and easy to find one of my favourite hot spots.

icespot1.png

I drilled a few shallow holes in advance of the evening bite, and then got setup out deeper, before I had even dropped my line I was already smiling, love the LX7....I knew this was hard bottom, and I knew exactly what I was looking at

P1010159.jpg

I was on top of fish the whole day but it was a tough bite, I had to really downsize and they were incredibly light bites...all the walleyes were barely hooked in the tip of the nose...I kept my limit and threw back a good half dozen or so....the jig had to be perfectly horizontal, I usually tie loop knots but had to tie a clinch and set the knot so that the jig suspended nicely horizontal...once I downsized and got it dialed I was getting bit, lots of missed bites and lost fish halfway up

P1010152.jpg

P1010156.jpg

landed a few small pike too

P1010146.jpg

and this guy was from my last visit, before the ice got really mushy

P1010093.jpg

all the walleye came on a tiny lindy jig I think it was, tipped with a sliver of tail or shrimp....but the pike came on some little jigs I tie up, feels a tiny bit nicer catching a fish on something you spun up yourself

P1010122.jpg

P1010119.jpg

you can see how wide the pressure crack opened up a couple weeks ago

P1010162.jpg

That was it for the walleye, still gotta fry them up...but I don't post reports too often, so I'll throw in a few extras....

dogs enjoying the extra room in the pop up...and me enjoying focusing solely on fishing, and not constantly scanning for wolves or them dang coyotes, it's very nice having the extra room in the pop up to keep the mutts comfortable instead of exploring the shoreline

P1010006.jpg

a pennask strain stocker from a nearby lake

P1010018.jpg

my last steelhead trip of 2013 resulted in zero steelies, but I did get a big resident bow....there is not a single stocked trout in BC that can compare to a wild trout, the colours, the fight, totally different ball game with the wild guys

P1010023.jpg

and everybody should know who built that rod, I always get tons of compliments on it...thank you again Spiel!

these perch I caught just before last ice 2013 and are from a northern AB lake, it has some pretty tight regs but I gotta say that I think the management plan is working, these fish are honestly the average size...and that's a tall boy can to clarify LOL...that big guy is a little better than average, probably close to my PB but I have seen others catch bigger

this lake has a 5 perch limit and there are some legit 2 lbers in there

IMG_1932.jpg

I joined up on the OFC tourney this year, I'm fairly confident I can contribute with some big springs...this was my largest from 2013, 43" x 29...as always, I lost bigger but that only makes you fish harder

P1000311.jpg

P1000310.jpg

largest sturgeon this year, not much to brag about on the fraser but any sturgeon is an awesome fish really...didnt' insure my boat for tidal but hoping to this year, if stupid work doesn't get in the way lol

IMG_2741.jpg

another small guy from the same day

IMG_2737.jpg

IMG_2750.jpg

and for the hunters on here, a small 4pt mulie...that I missed :wallbash: spent 2 days tracking him after the shot and it is sick feeling indeed, I was very relieved and happy to see he survived the season

P1010005.jpg

that's it for now, since I joined the tourney this year I better work on more fishin reports lol

cheers.

How many guys does that drift boat hold? :) :) :)

Great report man! I have no idea BC had walleyes.

that thing is basically a massive bath tub, one of the better ones I've been in....it has a row of 3 seats in the front, and a seat in the rear for the guide to row

we'll drift the smaller rivers in our pontoons, but the big rivers it's hard to beat a real drift boat with an experienced guide, some real nasty sweepers and rapids

my next report will probably be Cold Lake, AB/SK for lake trout...tying up some 1oz jigs for those pigs now

Edited by bare foot wader

That was a fun read. Lots of variety and some good fish as well. 5 fish limit on the perch eh? Well if the fish are getting to that size it's a good thing.

I was just going to say,and we cut our perch limit to 50 lol.Who would of thought?.Great report bfw!!

yep, the limit works for me, especially when they average 12" jumbos...I only keep a handful of limits for perch/walleye/pike and 1 or 2 good salmon a year.....but in AB there are a bunch of lakes that are completely closed to walleye retention and then about 12+ lakes actually have a lottery tag !

http://www.albertaregulations.ca/Walleye-Draws-Brochure-2013.pdf

I am fortunate to live pretty close to one of the few natural walleye lakes - Charlie lake, which is located at about the 50 mile marker up the Alaska highway. .

Holy cow, exactly where is it you live??? (If you're ever looking for a steelhead fishing partner I'm there!)

Just an outstanding report, very cool! I had heard rumors of walleye in BC but had no clue there were natural lakes. I'll bet no one fishes for them either.

Nice float rod too. Was yours the one with all the counterweights in the butt?

Great report! Nice variety of fish from some very interesting locations. The Walleye portion really surprises me as well. They look to be a very healthy population and a nice option to have when surrounded by some of the best Salmon and Trout fishing on the planet. Just awesome! Thanks for sharing!

So you were the one who requested that build. Very nice! Chris does a fine job and it's good to see his customers enjoying the fruits of his labour :clapping:

Yes, I had the rod with the counterweight kit from bps, works great for me, I like the balance ...amazing work and I always get compliments....the reel is a Milner reel from cranbrook, bc...a complete Canadian combo

67ZL1 got it, I'm right near fort St. John and those perch were caught not too far from lesser slave

And I'm always willing to point guys in the right direction if they visit BC, I lived around van and whis and did a lot of river fishing...now thst I'm further north Im slowly learning the skeena and bulkley watersheds...that salmon was on the kitimat river