Interesting opinion/factoid about Mercs vs Yammies

woodenboater

Untrue. I once owned an arctic cat ATV. It was the worlds biggest piece of crap, and I was happy to tell anyone that'd listen!

We have 2 new Arctic Bearcat snowmobiles at work, other than comfortable seats and handwarmers, they are the worst machine I have ever used. Electronic instrument cluster is a "cluster". Have you ever seen 11:77 on a digital clock? Odometer adds 100km after going maybe 5 km. Thumb warmers don't. Steering is like trying to parallel park the Titanic. They don't float or ride on top of the snow, they plow through like a submarine. Fuel use is a disaster, 35-40 litres to go 40 km. I wouldn't even give one to my worst enemy for fear of them coming back and finding me.

Untrue. I once owned an arctic cat ATV. It was the worlds biggest piece of crap, and I was happy to tell anyone that'd listen!

Yes I generalized. I owned a 03' Chrysler Intrepid and it was the worse piece of poop I ever had. Constantly replacing computers at a grand a pop. I wouldn't give it to my worse enemy. Looked mint when I drove it into the scrap yard on limp mode. I stand corrected, again.

Also adding to the debate as somewhat stated in previous posts, is , depending on the size of the motor, is the only part of a mercury, a mercury, is the sticker. I believe tohatsu builds everything under 40h.p. for them. And this sort of thing happens with a lot of the motors, where as they supply each other with different parts. Lower ends, power heads ......I'm sure someone can give us a real lesson on who is actually building what...and then sticking whatever sticker on the cowling. Again I am referring to the smaller motors. I know for certain my 25 hp mercury seahorse is 100%. Tohatsu and can not get parts at all at the local mercury dealer. So far all I wanted was a oil plug . It seems like a nice simple motor. (Very few parts) Even simpler than my 15. H.p yamaha that I can parts easily at the not so local dealer, even stickers from Japan in a week. It now looks like a 9.9 on the cowling. When I bought the 25 mercury from port colbourne, they said as I was walking out the door. "If it breaks, don't bring it back here" but 2 stroke is what I wanted and my choices were limited for a brand new 2 stroke.

Grazia Roy,

I knew you would know. So are they tied to Canada or is Bombardier owned offshore now as well? I don't get out much you know, and if it wasn't in our weekly paper out here from Caledonia (the Dunnville paper shut down) before I went back online last year I wouldn't have heard anything. The Hamilton Spectator only covers Toronto news now.

Thanks Roy. Keep up the great work.

Bombardier Recreational Products (BRP) is now a completely separate company from Bombardier who make planes and trains. I believe that BRP is owned by the Bombardier Family, the Quebec gov't, and Bain Capital. So they are still mostly Canadian. Bain Capital is American; but they only own about 20%.

Sorry, missed this from Roy's link. This changes the ownership structure.

2013BRP Files a Preliminary Prospectus for its Initial Public Offering

BRP files a preliminary prospectus with the securities regulatory authorities in each of the provinces and territories of Canada in connection with a proposed initial public offering of its subordinate voting shares.

2013BRP Completes Final Public Offering

In May, BRP announces the closing of its initial public offering of 12,200,000 subordinate voting shares of the Company at a price of $21.50 per share, resulting in gross proceeds to the Company of approximately $262,300,000.

Edited by JohnBacon

Yes I generalized. I owned a 03' Chrysler Intrepid and it was the worse piece of poop I ever had. Constantly replacing computers at a grand a pop. I wouldn't give it to my worse enemy. Looked mint when I drove it into the scrap yard on limp mode. I stand corrected, again.

I was just using it as another opportunity to dump on artic crap, LOL!!

I've loved Mercs for decades ... and only two years ago got my first Yammi 150 ... first 4 stroke I've owned ... and have to look in the water to see if its running ... absolutely LOVE it

If only I could lift the darns things I'd switch all my 9.9's to Yammi 4 strokes as well. :) ... ask me again in 5 years .. but so far I cant say enough good things.

I've loved Mercs for decades ... and only two years ago got my first Yammi 150 ... first 4 stroke I've owned ... and have to look in the water to see if its running ... absolutely LOVE it

If only I could lift the darns things I'd switch all my 9.9's to Yammi 4 strokes as well. :) ... ask me again in 5 years .. but so far I cant say enough good things.

Everyone with a Merc loves it and thinks it's the best....

...until they use a Yamaha! :D :D :D

I have owned BRP and and Yamahas and thats not even a comparison the Yamahas have never had a singal problem where the other brand did. Night and day, Ill always be a Yamaha man now... I am really hard on my toys too. Havnt had a merc but the Verado sure is quiet!