Creek fishing - Not big fish...but at least some fish.

ccmtcanada

Bly and I were thinking of fishing the shores of Lake O, but the wind made casting almost impossible and was quite chilly, so we decided to hit the trib...not expecting anything, but we did have some roe in the fridge that needed using before the tribs were done for the summer.

Roe hasn't been working for us since the tribs cleared up about a month ago, but we tried it anyways. We caught lots of little browns and rock bass. One drift, my float went down, so I set the hook expecting a little brown, and I saw a flash of silver. I actually hooked a large steelhead on roe!! The problem is that after a 5 minute fight I lost it....ARGHHH!!! That one took me completely by surprise!! Those little browns were pretty fiesty....jumping out of the water multiple times...they'll be great once they get bigger!

Anyways, here's a little picture summary of our few hours....fish were caught on roe, live wax worms and assorted small jigs and flys. Waters were clear and low...deep pools had a nice green tint to them.

cliffbrown2.jpg

cliffbrown1.jpg

carolerockbass2.jpg

carolebrown2.jpg

carolebrown.jpg

Great report, Cliff. Browns have got to be my favorite fish but we don't have many (any) in our neck of the woods and everytime I'm out your way I'm either in the Kawarthas or Nipissing or somesuch. I haven't fished the tribs in 35+ years.

Thanks for sharing.

Roy,fyi-I make a day trip or two every year and fish the Ausable around Whiteface Mtn. This river is loaded with brownies with some up to 18-22 inches. One year I caught browns,rainbows,specs and a native brookie all in the same day at the Wilmington dam. Less than 2 hrs if you make a go at it.

now try getting those same fish on a 2 or 3 wt fly rod with 1 or 2 lb leaders ;) looks like ya had some fun out there... thanks for sharing

I've always wanted to try fly fishing...not sure if I have the skill/patience though....LOL.

Nice report....I have to ask...how many days do you fish in a typical week? I think I finally have found someone that does more fishing than myself...have to let my wife know (she said it is not possible)

Hmmm...that's a tough one....

When the weather cooperates, we are probably out there 5 days a week. Most outings last only 2 hours or so....after our youngest daughter is in bed and sleeping. If the kids are into it, we'll make a day out of it.

This past early spring, before the steelhead run, we weren't fishing at all...once the run started though, we'd be out on the tribs maybe 2 times a week.....3 if we're lucky.

It'll likely slow down a little...we fish from shore, so once the really warm weather comes and the fish are gone from the creeks and shallows of Lake O, there wont be much for us to go after.

So...yeah...we probably fish too much....LOL. It does help though that my wife is into it as much (if not more) than I am.... :lol: The great thing is that it doesn't really cost us a lot money...we maybe spend 10 to 20 bucks a week on fishing....and I get to spend lots of time with my wife.

Bly and I were thinking of fishing the shores of Lake O, but the wind made casting almost impossible and was quite chilly, so we decided to hit the trib...not expecting anything, but we did have some roe in the fridge that needed using before the tribs were done for the summer.

Roe hasn't been working for us since the tribs cleared up about a month ago, but we tried it anyways. We caught lots of little browns and rock bass. One drift, my float went down, so I set the hook expecting a little brown, and I saw a flash of silver. I actually hooked a large steelhead on roe!! The problem is that after a 5 minute fight I lost it....ARGHHH!!! That one took me completely by surprise!! Those little browns were pretty fiesty....jumping out of the water multiple times...they'll be great once they get bigger!

Great stuff Cliff and Bly, I personally haven't had the pleasure of creek fishin for quite a few years, should do it more often, but time is always fleeting. Thanks for this report.