Sport or Conservation - Senior Citizen

miami

I have read and re-read the 2014 Reg's and if I can't get an answer from members - in the know - on this excellent forum, I guess my next move would be to contact the MNR.

As a senior (66yrs and counting) what am I allowed to possess? My limit would fall under - Sport or Conservation - (need help on this as I could find nothing in the reg's)?

Lastly, I do not want to take my hard copy Provincial drivers lic onto the Ice. Would not a Photocopy be sufficient to provide proof of age?

Getting old is worst than growing up...................lol

Thanks for taking the time,

Robert

Thank you Terry - I kinda thought so, but better to be sure than sorry.

Vance - I was not aware I could purchase an Outdoor Card for the 3 years - Thank you for info. Going Monday to Service Ontario.

Robert

Robert, you don't need an Outdoors Card to fish if you're 65 years of age and older and an Ontario or Canadian resident. All you need is any form of Federal or Provincial Government ID that proves your age. Your Drivers License or Health Card is all all you would need to carry while fishing.

Edited by Old Man

I have been checked a couple of times now and they never asked for proof of age. When asked for a fishing license, I just say don't need one, I'm a senior. So far that has been fine.

My old man usually shows him his drivers license. Although I think out of the 4-5 times we've been checked, they only wanted to see it once.

The exact wording in the Regulations is " A person is deemed to be the holder of a Recreational Fishing License if they are: Resident of Ontario and Canada under 18 years old, or 65 years of age or older and in possession of any license, permit, certificate, or identification card issued by the Government of Canada or a provincial or territorial government of Canada that indicates their name and date of birth."

Doesn't mention Photo ID and doesn't exclude Health Cards. The protection of Health Card applies to anyone specifically requesting you to use your Health Card for ID (No one's allowed to ask you for your health card , other than the hospital and the like), same for Social Insurance Cards, not allowed. That said, a person may voluntarily use either as ID if they so wish.

Edited by Old Man

Can't refuse a photocopy of a disability parking permit... and they are technically illegal to copy in the first place ... lol

A real piece of work CO told a friend the copy of the disability parking permit wasn't valid. So he had a choice to get a ticket for no fishing permit or park a mile from the pond or get a parking ticket. I would have taken the fine for no fishing license and met the guy in court.

Or showed him the scars.

There are other ways to prove disability, what if someone doesn't have a parking permit?

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Then the CO would look like a real loser in court.

Who Qualifies for a Deemed Fishing Licence? In some specific situations a resident of Ontario or Canada does not require an Outdoors Card and fishing licence tag in order to fish in Ontario waters. A person is deemed to be the holder of a Recreational Fishing Licence if he or she is: 1. A resident of Ontario or a resident of Canada under 18 years old, or 65 years of age or older and in possession of any licence, permit, certificate or identification card issued by the Government of Canada or a provincial or territorial government of Canada that indicates their name and date of birth. 2. A disabled resident of Ontario or a disabled resident of Canadian eligible for and in possession of: a Canadian National Institute for the Blind National Identity Card issued to them; or,an Accessible Parking Permit issued to them under the Highway Traffic Act; or,a black and white photocopy or printed version of an electronic copy of an Accessible Parking Permit issued to them under the Highway Traffic Act and accompanied by any licence, permit, certificate, or identification card issued by the Government of Canada or a provincial or territorial government of Canada that indicates the person's name and date of birth; or,any licence, permit, certificate or identification card issued by the Government of Canada or a provincial or territorial government of Canada that indicates the person's name and date of birth where the individual must be accompanied by and require the direct assistance of another person to fish and follow applicable fishing laws due to a condition of mental impairment or a developmental disability, a learning disability or dysfunction, or a mental disorder. The person accompanying the above person does not require a fishing licence if they are only assisting, but must have a licence if they wish to engage in fishing.
Edited by irishfield

Can't refuse a photocopy of a disability parking permit... and they are technically illegal to copy in the first place ... lol

My refference to a police officer refusing a photo copy was in respect to being used as a valid ID.

As for a photo copy of an accessible parking permit it is valid for proof of disability for fishing purposes as it is specifically authorized.

No such authorization is in affect to use a photo copy for parking purposes.

Did sumpin' change ?...When I turned 65 and started getting my OAS and CPP pensions the federal government sent me a senior citizen card...Nice of them to let us know we are old... :dunno: :wallbash: :jerry:

Edited by Beans

There are other ways to prove disability, what if someone doesn't have a parking permit?

If they wish to fish as a deemed to be a license holder they need a possess either a valid CNIB National Identity Card or an Accessible Parking Permit (photo or electronic copies permitted).

Accessible Parking Permits are free to those who qualify and are specific to the person not the vehicle. Permit holder must be the driver or a passenger in the vehicle for the Permit to be used.

My guess as to the reason for allowing photo copies is it would be impossible to have the original permit in the parked car & also with the person who is away from the vehicle fishing.