MEC store

Fisherman

The $5 fee is probably required to legally function as a coop vs a retailer. I doubt they see it as revenue.

Great store. Love the place. It isn't cheap but they typically have really good stuff.

Mike Borger - - you return stuff after 8 yrs of use?? :-)

Yes and no. I called MEC to see if they could help facilitate a return to Thermarest for repair. They checked my file to determine I had indeed purchased it there, then told me no problem, come down to the store with your old mattress and we'll give you a new one. :dunno:

TIL MIke is a cheap skin flint. Then I realized how else do you think he affords all those awesome trips?

By the way member of MEC since high school and thats a LONG time ago. Before Adventure Guide opened up here in town it was the best place to get hardcore outdoor stuff

Thanks Brad, you're a peach. :)

Bring more when we return to the Sutton next summer.

Hey Mike, was that the trip you and Bill took a couple years back when you encountered the polar bear ??

If so, you should re-post your report, that was without a doubt the best fish'n/camping tale I've ever read here !!

Hey Mike, was that the trip you and Bill took a couple years back when you encountered the polar bear ??

If so, you should re-post your report, that was without a doubt the best fish'n/camping tale I've ever read here !!

Thanks Lew, that was a great trip for sure. I'm not going to repost it, but you can see it here:

http://ontariofishingcommunity.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=65413&hl=%2Bbrook+%2Btrout

I feel very fortunate that a return trip is on tap for next year!

Next year will be a special one, there's a bunch of amazing trips on the agenda.

Ah yes, however, Lebaron doesn't force you to by a membership, and, if you do get one, you get 10% off your merchandise. I don't think MEC gives you that.

But try and return an item to Lebarons.

Unless things have changed in the last few years, Lebaron used to be terrible to deal with, whereas MEC goes out of their way to treat their customers well.

MEC over Lebaron for me anytime

The Lebaron's membership requires one to consider how much they plan to spend in a given year. I used to have the membership when I knew I had some big purchases coming up and the savings more than covered cost of the membership. You have to do the math on that one every year whereas the MEC fin is for life.

and further to Lew's and Mike's point on customer service. I have a Cloudveil jacket that has a blown out zipper. MEC doesn't really carry much Cloudveil procudt anymore but they're sending it out for repair gratis. Will take 4 weeks or so but it's costing me nada, bupkiss. Kinda OT but I've also heard great things about Patagonia service and their gear is also top drawer. and Yvon Chouinard is HUGE on flyfishing. :thumbsup_anim: My next pair of waders may likely be Patagonia.

Edited by woodenboater

MEC doesn't really carry much Cloudveil procudt anymore but they're sending it out for repair gratis.

I paid $25 for a pair of socks at Lebarons, took them home, tried them on and found they were faulty.

I took them right back to the store the same day, explained they were faulty and the manager told me no refund because I'd worn them. I explained they were only worn for 1 minute till I found they were no good and just wanted to exchange them for another pair.

Sorry, no exchange for you...store policy.

THAT'S why I didn't mind paying $5 for a MEC membership.

I can see why the OP was aggravated having not known MEC's structure being a coop and just wanting to check out. Maybe they need some better education for new customers at check out.

I'm a fan of MEC too. Nothing beats a retailer with an amazing return policy and their gear is decent.

Another fan of MEC,

Like mentioned above, great store with awesome customer service, their staff is trained on the merchandise they sell, you get good advice and recommendation if you ask them.

Their prices are usually better than most other retailers and that alone is worth shopping there.

$5 for lifetime membership....what is there to think about ?

I find the staff can be hit and miss. Some young staff I find, um, can't be bothered or don't have time for older customers who don't fit their ideal of an MEC member. Just generalizing but something I've noticed in Toronto once in a blue moon, otherwise staff is very helpful. Camping and canoeing staff are very cool kats.