What do you think?? This should do the job...

NAW

I am eventually going to buy a proper Ice-Ducer. But the cheap :asshat: in me wants to try this first...

IMG_1941_zpsd42fa606.jpg

IMG_1945_zpsc039d046.jpg

For the last few years, I've been trying to use it with the plastic suction cup mount still attached (cup removed). And in anything deeper than 30', it's a pain in the butt. Constantely having to tweak it so it's pointing straight down.

I rigged this up so it hangs perfectly straight. The one big downside I can see right away, is the strain relief (or lack there of) on the chord entering the transducer.

But I'm thinking it should work pretty good. :dunno:

Thoughts? Anyone try something like this before?

We use a product call strap iron in the plumbing world. It is flat metal with holes drilled in it. You can bend it as needed and if it where taped to the line you could tweek it as needed to shoot straight down. It would go where you have the rope for now.

Art

That should work just fine! I made something similar a few years back and it did the trick. I did try making one with a wooden down shaft but the wood kept trying to float and it made it hard to keep it pointed straight down the hole. I ended up using a piece of aluminum tube and I drilled holes crosswise through it along the tube so I could set the depth and just used piece of aluminum rod that I put through the tube and rested it on the ice.

Thanks guys.

The metal strapping idea. Funny thing is.. I was pondering things in the garage before starting this little project.... And I looked right at a bag of metal strapping.....

So if this doesn't work, it's a free upgrade!

You don't need the iceducer.

I used a heavy piece of copper wire tightly twisted to the transducer mounting hole. Semi-tight cable ties hold the pipe insulation so that you can still move it up and down.

This way you can easily adjust the angle the transducer sits and keep it flat to the water.

IMG_0227_zps10692fb1.jpg

Burt :)

You don't need the iceducer.

I used a heavy piece of copper wire tightly twisted to the transducer mounting hole. Semi-tight cable ties hold the pipe insulation so that you can still move it up and down.

This way you can easily adjust the angle the transducer sits and keep it flat to the water.

IMG_0227_zps10692fb1.jpg

Burt :)

Cool thanks