It's warm today.. BUT! Long term, we're looking decent!

NAW

LONGTERMFORCAST_zpsc88a5efe.jpg

Today is really messing things up. It's supposed to get pretty warm today. But the long term forecast looks great!

I'll likely steer clear of the ice this weekend. But Dec 14, I'm getting my hopes up.

My favorite crappie spot has dicey ice early season...

This is from a few years ago. This pic always gets me pumped for crappie fishing!!!

fam15.jpg

Edited by N.A.W

melting off any snow / slush currently sitting atop whatever ice we have right now could be a good thing.

I agree, it's nice to get ride of the insulation..

But when you only have a few inches of ice to start with. I don't know what this +12 day it going to do.?

Say we had 4" last weekend. Then mild temps this, including +12 day. Do you guys things it's worth an hour drive up this weekend (Dec 7th) to check my crappie spot?

The water sitting on top of the ice will be almost at the freezing point. Any temperatures below freezing will cause that to form as ice very quickly. It will also saturate any snow that was on the ice and remove it's insulating qualities so this quick thaw is a really good thing in my books. We did have 7" of ice in front of my place as of last week, I'll bet we have 8" by this weekend.

Edited by Big Cliff

Was a great day to work in the hangar Nick... I know the sled runs.. the ice auger runs.. the Lund is up off it's tires on the trailer (with no hope of late season Musky.. other than maybe through the ice!)... airplane is ready for back lakes and I found some of my ice gear. Seeing that Terry appears to have a month off... I'd better make sure it's all ready to go.

Hope to get out tomorrow or Saturday for an aerial boot, if the grass freezes white again... and I'll see what changed in the area on the ice front since Tuesday.

Edited by irishfield

Well, Sturgeon Lake is frozen over as far as the eye can see from our place. Just saw a coyote out on the lake, looks like it is crossing from somewhere around Cameron and heading toward Pleasent Point area. We see several every year but this is by far the earliest I have ever seen one out on the lake.

This is by far no indication that the ice is safe!!!!! Proceed with caution!

Edited by Big Cliff