Anyone Make Their Own Adult Beverages?

DRIFTER_016

Anyone know where one could purchase a stainless steel drum/barrel in Ontario? New or used? Been looking online and not too much up this way.

Check out some maple syrup supply places. The usually have them.

These guys should have them....great company.

http://atkinsonmaple.com/catalogue/bulk_containers

Or these guys, I use them all the time....close to home.

http://squirrelcreek.ca/browse.html

What ya makin? ;)

S.

Edited by Sinker

Check out some maple syrup supply places. The usually have them.

These guys should have them....great company.

http://atkinsonmaple.com/catalogue/bulk_containers

Or these guys, I use them all the time....close to home.

http://squirrelcreek.ca/browse.html

What ya makin? ;)

S.

Thanks. Never thought about maple syrup places.

Um...syrup...yeah syrup. That's it. :ninja:

If you want brutal. Nothing beats Grappa. Some recipes are near bad enough to make you go blind

Grappa is like anything else, there is really good Grappa and bad Grappa. The really good stuff I reserve for peeling paint. The really stubborn paint that won't come off with anything else.

If I'm forced to drink it from tradition pressures (being Italian) it has to be colder than ICE cold and have a chaser.

The mulled wine usually gets brewed this time of year!

I don't do the making from scratch thing but my buddy does and some of the stuff drank takes a bit of getting used to lol. It's not an easy art.

Off the main topic but spiced rum and egg nog on ice is one of the tastiest drinks in my books. The rum eggnog season is just around the corner, give it a try!

The mulled wine usually gets brewed this time of year!

I don't do the making from scratch thing but my buddy does and some of the stuff drank takes a bit of getting used to lol. It's not an easy art.

Off the main topic but spiced rum and egg nog on ice is one of the tastiest drinks in my books. The rum eggnog season is just around the corner, give it a try!

Yep Xmas is rum &nog with lots of nutmeg season. Had some last weekend while getting xmas decorations out. We go through a 26er of rum this time of year and then that's it until next Christmas...but we both enjoy it.

Grappa cold? I've only drank it with tea. Definitely nice after a dinner!

CTV is suppose to have a special on tonight to show how to make/consume legal moonshine.

In fact I store my grappa in the freezer. It doesn't freeze. It's best at that temperature.

Whats the difference between grappa, and moonshine?

I think Grappa is made with the left over grapes from making wine? Is that where the sugar content comes from??

I know whats in moonshine.....I read it on the internet LOL

S.

Whats the difference between grappa, and moonshine?

I think Grappa is made with the left over grapes from making wine? Is that where the sugar content comes from??

I know whats in moonshine.....I read it on the internet LOL

S.

Grappa comes from the last squeezings of grape, and from wine that didn't quite turn out right.

As for shine, it was always made from whatever fruit was leftover. Old apples in the cellar, canned fruit turned brown from age, soft taters, etc... It all boiled down nicely. Used to be easy to find locals who kept a cooker in back somewhere.

My first attempt at hard cider turned out quite well and I had a tall glass last night. Definitely tastes better than store bought stuff and is far cheaper, but i'm going to back sweeten it as it's a bit too dry for me. Seeing as I already had everything to make it, except for the cider press that I made with construction scraps, I think my actual cost for gas to goget the apples, potassium metabisulphite (sterilizer) and potassium sorbate (stabilizer and preservative) to make about 5 1/2 gallons works out to $12 or so.

Once you're past the initial investment it's nearly free to make your own booze :canadian:

My first attempt at hard cider turned out quite well and I had a tall glass last night.

Back when I was in the navy in the 60's we used to go over to England the odd time and we'd always head to the local pub and drink Scrumpy. It was a fermented apple cider and strong enough to knock you on your butt if you weren't careful. Very nice drink but very potent. Seems to me we used to pay a shilling a glass which if I remember correctly was about 25 cents CDN.

Back when I was in the navy in the 60's we used to go over to England the odd time and we'd always head to the local pub and drink Scrumpy. It was a fermented apple cider and strong enough to knock you on your butt if you weren't careful. Very nice drink but very potent. Seems to me we used to pay a shilling a glass which if I remember correctly was about 25 cents CDN.

Scrumpy is nasty stuff Lew. Used to drink it at barn dances when I was a teen. The real stuff outta the barrel has cores and seeds and peels and the odd toenail floating around in it. If I remember correctly it was around 15 or 16%! If you drank enough of it you could get drunk again the next day just by drinking water in an attempt to rehydrate....lol.. By the way I have a bottle in the liquor cabinet if you are brave enough.

Scrumpy is nasty stuff Lew. Used to drink it at barn dances when I was a teen. The real stuff outta the barrel has cores and seeds and peels and the odd toenail floating around in it. If I remember correctly it was around 15 or 16%! If you drank enough of it you could get drunk again the next day just by drinking water in an attempt to rehydrate....lol.. By the way I have a bottle in the liquor cabinet if you are brave enough.

Most apples finish at 6-7% with no sugar added if you let it sit until fermentation stops naturally. You'd need to add a ton of sugar and use a high alcohol producing yeast to get that high of an alcohol content. I imagine you'd need to back sweeten that with a bunch of sweetener to make it drinkable.

Reminds me of my first batch of red wine I made when I was 18-19 which turned out to be over 14%. One bottle and you're beyond tipsy and I still feel bad for the hotel cleaners who had to clean all that pink puke off the sheets a couple times while I was working in Windsor :whistling:

Does anyone have a recipe for Screech? It's a Newfie aquired taste drink.

Rum, whiskey or any spirits for that matter get their flavor from a variety of aspects. Starting with the mash recipe, fermentation temp, what region the ingredients come from, type of still you use, how many distillations you do, type of aging (barrels, sticks, chips) and what kind of wood you use, what proof the spirits are aged at, how long it ages, and how its blended after aging.

So in short, unless you have the recipe from the manufacturer you're outta luck... :D