On board charger died

Handlebarz

Hey all my three bank bps charger just crapped out is there any way to have these fixed?

I thought it was weird last weekend fishing my minnkota died after 7 hours I can usually get three long days on full charge.

I got home hooked up the charger but no lights came on so I unhooked everything and brought the batteries inside for the bench charger they are both good any ideas what might have happened?

The charger is three seasons old

Like art said no fuse to it and yes Phil that was my first thing I ran a different cord from a different plug but nothing then I tried direct still nothing.

Warranty is up

I guess I have 6 spare fuses now lol. I will wait for the winter sales on them for a new one for next year.

I guess three years is better then some I heard about going each season. But each season you can exchange for a new one

Oh well thanks guys for the input but you all had the same thing I thought its toast.

Sorry to hear about that, Mike. I put in a Guest, 2 bank, 6 seasons ago and it's running great. This thing is always wet....not from waves or anything like that. It stays wet because of where it's installed in a hatch next to my 24 volt bowmount TM batteries. If you must get a new unit, take a good look at all that is out there. In the meantime, this coming spring, I'll be getting some air circulation around mine.

Good luck.

does your guest handle the wave bouncin?

i want to install one next spring but it needs to be installed in the bow of my boat....i'm concerned about the banging up there....

my 24v batteries are on the bow, not stern. as such the charger needs to be up there.

The units now and for the past 8 years (around) are encased in a resin that is very vibration/slamming proof and waterproof. The trade off for this is they have a harder time bleeding off heat while charging. I mounted mine on the bottomside of the back lid off to the side of the 3 batteries. When it is time to charge I open the lid, plug it in and leave the lid up for air.

Art

My first charger was a BPS brand, X-Pro or something like that. Crapped out in less than two years. I replaced it with a Minn-Kota brand several years ago and haven't had a problem since. Mine is mounted in the bow as well.

Y'know, for those of you who haven't installed one yet, it might be an idea to use rubber grommets under the fastening points....maybe even an upside down mousepad. I didn't do that, I fastened directly to the bulkhead and it's been fine going to its 7th season.

Edited to add: Oh and Steve, I only have the 2 bank for a 24 volt 70lb TM. The main motor is always at the top of its game That's my experience...someone else might have other thoughts on this.

Steve, I run a 3 bank MinnKota. My main is in that mix. It certainly can't hurt to have the main getting juice when having some downtime. For the small extra cost I'd consider it. Mine is under deck and fairly close to the batteries. The MK comes with long cables so you'd likely be ok with having anywhere in your Lund.

Very handy to have!

RJ

The 4 bank charger wasn't available when I bought my 3 bank Min Kota.

The high end electronics have a small constant draw but I don't think that's the problem.

Fishing longer in one spot and short runs seems to accumulate after a couple days and your electronics start shutting down. It's not long after that your cranking battery won't start your main.

Most guys with big motors and high end electronics charge their cranking battery.