Need some input (long distance purchase no paypal)

RangerGuy

So I have finally found a Titan Tiller Assist used. I have

read a ton on these and nobody has every regretted buying

one that I can find.

Fella is in another province and does not want to

use PayPal. He has a good reason not to use PayPal but still I don't feel send this kind of cash with out protection.

He seems to be a honest person but hey these

things aren't cheap.

I'm looking for input how I could pay him

and still be protected if he doesn't ship it.

I hate automatically thinking like this but its the

way the world is now :-(

Anybody have a solution, I'd hate to loose this piece

of equipment you can't get with out mercury anymore :-(

Edited by RangerGuy

Comes down to trust. Both ways.

I've never been burned, maybe next time i will be.

If I'm selling, I expect payment first. If I'm buying I send the money. I've done some transactions up to $1000, as far away as Georgia.

So far so good.

If the deal you are getting sounds too good to be true, just step back. If it's reasonable, then I'd say go for it. But thats just me.

you never know, it wouldn't hurt to be specific where in SK

if it was BC or northern AB I likely could have helped out...more of a private messager than poster but have had nothing but good dealings with buying things on here

I'm assuming you found an online ad? ask the guy for a photocopy of his drivers licence and print the ad, might be enough for the local police to follow up on if things go south....or might jsut be a long shot either way

I would pass without batting an eyelash. Locally there was a recent story in the paper of a young lady buying her first car for going back an forth to school as is, and used Interact online through the same banking institution as the guy selling a car. It was a total scam, they had to tow it home, and of course he left the keys and paperwork with someone else. The bank said Interact was the same as a cheque and could do nothing, the transaction was totally legal. I'm going to presume this is an as is sale.

There is a new online scam every minute of the day. I really don't like buying anything as is especially if I can't touch or feel it first. There are many legal ways to get burnt today. As far as trust goes, unfortunately it can't be had for the majority of time.

I wouldn't do it. There has to be another one out there for you. What good reason is there not to use PayPal????????? None.

Have him send you the item and then you send him the money, same situation, no?

"Experience is a lifetime of mistakes, wisdom is knowing not to make them again"

OldIronmaker 2001

RG,

I came across this contact while doing a Google for the item. Apparently they service this item that unfortunately is no longer made as you say. I'd give them a call, they may steer you towards one. I just had a thought, is it serviceable locally? Can you obtain parts for repair as they seem to be rare? Do you need to ship it to Wisconsin for service? Actually that's something to consider for any item today.

Good Luck Greg, I'd give him a call.

Mertin Marine

1087 Cozylane

Oshgosh WI 54901

920-231-2916

[email protected]

You can easily get scammed through Paypal as well, don't kid yourself. As for paying FULL PRICE for a car without even seeing it run or in person? That's not a scam, that's the buyer being stupid.

Bill I don't disagree. As far as buying a car sight unseen, thousands of items are sold online daily for more than the price of a used car sight unseen, the type of item bought has nothing to do with it. I don't think Ranger will know if the steering assist even works until it's on the boat, I don't know the man but I wouldn't call him stupid. It may be just me but I really despise the word stupid, stupid is a DNA thing, it's in the genes, can't be helped.

I don't think any of us weren't young and stupid at least once. I don't have enough fingers and toes to count the times for me, and young sometimes had nothing to do with it.

I was referring to the girl in your example as 'stupid' not the OP... Come on man, lol.

I've bought all kinds of items online, cheap ones and high priced items.. If you're convinced everyone is out there to rip you off, then you should probably just purchase items at a store..

I'm pretty handy, have always done my own car repairs etc.

I'm fairly positive I can do the repairs myself if need be.

I did talk with the Tim Merten today, they still

sell parts and he told me the only 2 issues he's ever heard

of was a leak but was due to an assembly issue from manufacturing and was fixed and a

hose that a customer damaged.

I know you weren't referring to the OP Bill, I just hate the word. And I know the girl isn't stupid but it sure was the wrong thing done by a very inexperienced mom and daughter. If you read the article it is a sad story. It's the first car she or her low income single mom ever owned and they had not one person they could get advice from. Saved for over 10 years only to have this goof to rip them off. The community came together and she now has a good reliable car to get to Mac and back. It was all done without fanfare or press coverage. It was a nice ending to a sad story.

And your right I avoid buying online whenever I can. I'm old school I guess, it's not a trust thing it's more of a lack of understanding how it works thing. I also only pay cash which is getting harder to do. Off subject of course but just last week my 20 something niece said " hey Uncle Johnny you have a cellphone!" of course I do, I'm not that old, " no Uncle John I haven't seen a cellphone for years, everyone has a smart phone ".

Ok .. The fella is really working with me on this :)

He explained his issue with paypal and I can see why he doesn't trust them.

Seller has agreed to split the cost ..I give him a couple hundred up front and rest in COD...

We talked on the phone last night, seems like a stand up guy, so now I'm gambling 200 instead of the full pop. Still a lot to gamble with but a little easier to swallow hehe!

So it looks like I'm going to be the proud owner of a Titan Tiller Assist system :) YEPPIE!

Edited by RangerGuy

I have bought a few things through board members here. I like the idea of somewhat knowing the person as well. Still can be a little shaky,but I believe if there on the board and posting,somehow I feel a little safer.Again,hope all works out,and I'm sure it will.