Polar Ht Windlass Tip-up

Clampet

Not really a lot to adjust Clampet. For walleye and perch/crappie with small lures/baits leave the top arm loose enough to swing up and down.Adjust the spring at the midpoint of the beam to keep the arm at about level.Loosen the reel for freeplay. When you set your bait at depth bend the flag over against the backside of the spool.When a fish hits it will pull down and when the arm won't travel any further the flag goes off and the spool allows line to come off.You can bend the metal ends of the tip-up UP or DOWN to accentuate the jigging effect.It's your choice as to how much or how little.Generally I set low with the metal end bent down so that it will jig UP with some wind.Bear in mind that holes can freeze quick and your line must be free for any jigging action to occur.

If you fish for Pike with larger baits,just tighten all the arms and loosen the spool so it has a bit of friction.Set your flag the same way.When a pike takes it has happened to me where if the spool is too loose the line backlashes and jams.If not for tying off to a pail or the auger I would have lost everything.

Hope this helps you.

Kerry

I found I had to add a counterweight because the spring was on the weak side.

A heavier spring, hampered the wind effect.

I also found that when a fish pulls the arm down, the wind vane is close to the water, leaving no line to grab.

I pile the snow up and it makes an elevated base for the tip-up, and holds it a bit higher.

I use them all the time when fishing without a hut.

Somebody has mentioned that

Bear in mind that holes can freeze quick and your line must be free for any jigging action to occur.
It is true. What I do is every time this happens I put a little bit of any cooking oil in the hole. It helps a lot and is safe for environment

• 6 years later...

I have used the HT windless for over 20 years still number one for catching big lakers and whities in Simcoe. The windless were available with two different size reels; make sure you purchase the larger reel (500 ft.) Less backlass with the bigger reel when the trout takes off; then all of a sudden stops.

I built a wooden platform(3/4 plywood) then drilled and installed 4 legs (1/4x20 bolts.3 inchs long) which grab onto the ice so fish do not rip it down the hole. The windless is secured with a homemade turnkey to the platform.

I use small hooks (#6 and a couple of small BB sinkers)and medium sized minnows.

I have one and used it last year for the first time. I love it. Sometimes it can take some fiddling around to get it just right but once you get it balanced it can give you some awesome jigging action. I mainly use mine with a minnow. Like others have said though, make sure your hole doesn't freeze up.

I have used the HT windless for over 20 years still number one for catching big lakers and whities in Simcoe. The windless were available with two different size reels; make sure you purchase the larger reel (500 ft.) Less backlass with the bigger reel when the trout takes off; then all of a sudden stops.

I built a wooden platform(3/4 plywood) then drilled and installed 4 legs (1/4x20 bolts.3 inchs long) which grab onto the ice so fish do not rip it down the hole. The windless is secured with a homemade turnkey to the platform.

I use small hooks (#6 and a couple of small BB sinkers)and medium sized minnows.

you mind posting a pic of your setup?

i was thinking i could drill a hole in the base and secure it with an ice anchor.

since theres still no safe ice near by me, ive been at home thinking...started wondering if i could replace the plastic spool on my windlass with an old fly reel i have to make use of the drag system and higher spool capacity.

what do you guys think about that? ive mocked it up, and by theory it should work. but i would have to cut off the plastic spool, and theres no turning back after that.

2nd question...does anybody use lures on these things?? (darters, badboyz, etc) or just minnows?

i was thinking a lipless live target shiner might work well...

koppers-082209-35.jpg

i have no idea really though...just thinking out loud

I hate these tip-ups...design is way too busy and prone to icing up in multiple spots, including the huge glob of ice that forms on the line as it bobs up and down, and the reel is just awful. Can't see lures being effective on these, especially those with any sort of weight like a lipless since it would likely just weigh it down.

I have had them for 20yrs and there is a spring adjustment for them and if you angle it right they will jig a lure no problem I also have one with a larger modified stronger spring tey are very versatile I like using a smaller size Williams wabler and have use smaller thin flutter spoons with a dropper line they work awesome !!!!! And have caught everything from lakers to big quinte eyes to pike ya the spool sucks but when you have a fish I hand bomb the line up anyways !!!! It's limitless what you can do with them use your imagination.... Bend the fins and let the wind help they work great!!!!! I have even used 3/8 oz Swedish pimples on them in BOQ ..... Good luck

Mine has landed two southern ontario pike most people dream of, and one day catch at a fly in lodge in northern manitoba. No complaints about it. After 5 years heavy use, i moved and left my other one in the garage, otherwise im sure i would have used it another 10.