Muskie Reels - What do you use??

Sour_Squirrel

I'm looking for a decent reel for my Muskie rod. I have a budget of approx $200.

What are some suggestions of which reel I can buy. The Revo Toro, Calcutta are nice but out if my price range. I also don't really like the bulk of the round Abu reels like the C6500.

I was thinking a Daiwa Lexa 300. Does anyone own or have any first hand experience with one?

A little bit over what you are looking to spend but i've been using a Daiwa Luna this year and absolutely love it. $269 from Cabellas. I havent used the lexa but i think Daiwa gets a worse reputation than it deserves over the past few years, lexa might be a little light from the looks of it for dbl 10's if thats what you were thinking.

http://www.cabelas.ca/product/29559/daiwa-team-daiwa-luna-baitcast-reels

Edited by Believer

for what you want to spend the revo toro winch is in the area of that, 229 retail at bills bait. the revo Toros ratio is too high and will give you a workout on a day of retrieving big lures look for something in the 4:6:1 area but it all depends on your needs some go into the area of 5:3:1 and some go down to 4:1:1 so there's a lot of variance

Edited by leaf4

for what you want to spend the revo winch is in the area of that, 229 retail at bills bait. the revo Toros ratio is too high and will give you a workout on a day of retrieving big lures look for something in the 4:6:1 area but it all depends on your needs some go into the area of 5:3:1 and some go down to 4:1:1 so there's a lot of variance

leaf4 are you referring to the revo Toro winch or revo winch for 229?

I prefer the low profile bait caster over a round reel. I just got a Toro nacl and really like it. The toro winch is also great but depends what you are using it for. pro tackle in Belleville should have both and has free shipping!

Sorry just noticed your budget what about a curado 300?

Edited by Spooled

leaf4 are you referring to the revo Toro winch or revo winch for 229?

I prefer the low profile bait caster over a round reel. I just got a Toro nacl and really like it. The toro winch is also great but depends what you are using it for. pro tackle in Belleville should have both and has free shipping!

Sorry just noticed your budget what about a curado 300?

yeah sorry the revo toro winch, I didn't realize there was a difference lol but yeah excellent reel for the price

Depends on what you are going to use it for. Double 10s/Cowgirls are damned big and need a low gear ratio. Big jerkbaits/glidebaits not so much. Smaller spinnerbaits such as slopmasters, you can get away with a flippin stick with a good low profile reel. I really like my record 65 from abu, the winch is a great feel in your price range. Save up another week or two. Buy a good reel, you will have it for years and years.

The curado is a great overall choice.

Revo winch is good for big blades but it will be hard to fish with speed. It's kind of a specialty reel.

On the cheap side the cardiffs are affordable and I have had three that have all been durable.

Abu C reels do not last long.

I have the revo toro and it is a great all around reel. Good for big plastic and everything but big #10 blades. But it will do that in a pinch too.

You a lefty or a righty? A real good reel for the money, although no longer the flavour of the month are the Quantum Cabos. You can still get em brand new on Ebay for as little as 100 bucks sometimes. I got mine without the clicker for 80 if I remember correctly. Durable, smooth, semi low profile.

Heres one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NIB-Quantum-Cabo-CBC31PTs-Left-Handed-Baitcast-Reel-WideSpool-Baitcast-/380716265861?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item58a4753185

Just an example. I didn't bother reading to see if they'd ship to good old East York. I grew up there.

If you want a good quality reel on a budget have you considered kijiji or craigslist? I wouldnt trade my shimano calcutta te for ANYTHING. I saw one on kijiji for 250 after i bought mine for 410 plus tax at jbs warehouse. Good luck

P.s.the wife was not pleased with my purchase but it is still worth every penny

the calcutta 400 series is propably the best all - round reel. i know you said its out of your budget but, the seasons coming to an end and you may as well save your pennies and / or beg grovel for christmas. if not, then reconsider a abu 6500 or 7000 series or look for a used calcutta.

you are not gonna find a low profile reel that can do it all, they are all a compromise of sorts.

i dont own a calcutta btw, i have different reels for different baits / rods / purposes.

Edited by Raf

I'm not really a tackle head or tons of fishing gear guy, but for a bait caster, I would say spend a little more now, you will have it forever, it will work great, no let downs

I went through a muskie phase for a couple years, this labour day weekend, I went to the French and did a little targeting of muskies, pulled out my Calcutta 400, what a sweet machine, it will be around and working great long after I'm 6 feet under

I also used a Curado for a couple years, for muskie, casting heavy line and heavy baits, it's not ideal but worked fine, the reel is still fine after all that abuse

I'm a Shimano fan

Wow.

That was a lot of responses quick!! Thanks to all that responded.

I'm a righty and I'm looking for a reel that can do it all, so to say. I'm just a rookie for targeting Muskies. I have a few Grandmas, Swim Whizz, Suicks and a few Musky Killers.

Right now I have a medium action 7'9" G Loomis Muskie rod.

I've checked Kijiji and have seen a few Abu Revo Toro 60's for around the $200 price range. I'm seriously considering that option.

I have a Abu Revo Winch 50 that I use for Bass on my crankbait rod. It's a sturdy bullet-proof reel that casts and retrieves smooth so I'm sure the Revo Toro is of the same quality.

The Revo Toro has a ratio of 5.4:1 and the Revo Winch is 4.6:1. So it's a good compromise between speed and cranking power.

I don't know how all you married guys explain your fishing purchases to your wives.....?? :P

Stacy from Protackle was just talking to me today about a new reel he's going to be carrying, retails for $230. I can't remember the name of it for the life of me, though.

your thinking of the okuma komodo. the 400 series comes out in a few months apparently

Edited by Lunkerhunter