Aluminum boat storage outside

Bigfisherman

I might be finally throwing in the towel to my search to find a boat only a foot bigger(then my 16ft) that might fit in my current garage. I realize that if I store outside I can open up my options 100 fold and get a bigger safer boat. So I was thinking I can add some stones to the side of the house and store a boat there.(I have room and worst case I can move it down to an outside storage place 5 mins away during the winter months)

So my Q is for those ppl that store their boats outside are there any cons? other then the obvious(theft, animals getting in, etc) Boat will most likely be new/new last years model or slightly used very low hours depending what I find and how much I get for my current boat.

Just want to hear ppl's experiences and thoughts obviously this will be long term.

Thanks

If you’re stuck storing it outside, have it professionally shrink wrapped and you should be good. Shrink wrap installed correctly with bracing for it not to collapse (due to snow load) and vented properly, it’s as good as being inside a non heated barn.

Dan.

I had this discussion with my neighbor last month and this was his solution

http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Coupler/Fulton/FHDPB330301.html

I haven't used is before but this would be the only way he could fit his 16ft alum. in his garage. He's planning on installing it late October so if you haven't found a solution yet i'll let you know how it goes.

nick

If there's any farms around your area go talk to the farmer about keeping it in his barn. There's lots of farms around the Kawartha area offering outdoor storage and many that have indoor as well.

I stored my boat in a barn for years and the most I ever payed was $150 for the entire winter. Couple bowls of moth balls left inside and I never once had a critter problem of any kind.

If I was going to spend some decent $$$ on a boat, there's no way I'd store it outside, lol.

Ya this is my concern I'm planning on spending 25>30k, so its hard for me to just leave it outside if you know what I mean but I can't fit anything bigger then a 17ft in my 19ft garage:(

Thanks for the info I will check how much the winter storage would cost as I think my best bet would be to leave it at my place for the summer then wrap & store for the winter pending cost but i guess you have to pay to play.

Edited by Bigfisherman

Ya this is my concern I'm planning on spending 25>30k, so its hard for me to just leave it outside if you know what I mean but I can't fit anything bigger then a 17ft in my 19ft garage:(

There's thousands of VERY expensive yachts shrink wrapped and stored outside every winter with no problems and there won't be any with a tin boat either. As DanD suggested, just be sure it's done by an expert and you'll have no worries.

I stored mine outside for many years without any issues. I did keep those little tinfoil trays with moth balls all over and in all the compartments and such. Beside your house, it is less likely to attract a family of coons moving in. keep an eye on it over the winter and it will be fine.

Make sure you build a good cover out of wood and tarps or get it shrink wrapped as suggested.

I brought all my gear, tackle, and electronics indoors as well.

Good luck and enjoy the new boat!

Thanks for the info I will check how much the winter storage would cost as I think my best bet would be to leave it at my place for the summer then wrap & store for the winter pending cost but i guess you have to pay to play.

My 20' boat and full size truck are stored indoors Dec-April for $75/mo

The rest of the year, the boat and truck live in the driveway. I have a full travel cover for the boat and have not had any issues but I don't leave my gear inside or leave the Terrova mounted.

There's thousands of VERY expensive yachts shrink wrapped and stored outside every winter with no problems and there won't be any with a tin boat either. As DanD suggested, just be sure it's done by an expert and you'll have no worries.

It's cheaper to store indoors than to wrap my boat but a good wrap is nothing to be concerned about. Not to tight & proper venting are the key.

So I have a question to all you indoor fellas...

What's the big deal with storing outside...??? Winter summer spring or fall... It's all the same...

Buy a good cover... make sure you have support for the cover...Clear snow off every time you shovel your driveway... And put moth balls or bounce sheets in to keep mice out....

I know I'd buy the boat I really want... And if it doesn't fit in my garage (if I had a garage) I'd get a good boat cover or get one of those portable garage thingys that go on sale all the time... Problem solved....

So I have a question to all you indoor fellas...

What's the big deal with storing outside...??? Winter summer spring or fall... It's all the same...

Buy a good cover... make sure you have support for the cover...Clear snow off every time you shovel your driveway... And put moth balls or bounce sheets in to keep mice out....

I know I'd buy the boat I really want... And if it doesn't fit in my garage (if I had a garage) I'd get a good boat cover or get one of those portable garage thingys that go on sale all the time... Problem solved....

I've done indoor and outdoor, indoor wins hands down.

I value my time at higher rate than the price of storage. When the price of storage exceeds that then I'll look at other options.

Edited by SlowPoke

I think it's more along the lines of common sense. It's like guys that drop 40k on a new car and refuse to spend $800 on snow tires, then end up in the ditch.

Or a truck in the ditch with 4x4 not engaged to same gas... Lol...

Common sense tells me that the middle of winter is the least likely time to have a boat stolen....

If you think this way everyone should have their boats stored indoors year round....

All the boats/motors I've ever heard of being stolen were in the spring/summer....

To the OP...

If you have space in your driveway/yard... Get a good cover with supports... And if it makes you feel better... Put all the snow you get all winter in front of it... Then the theives would need heavy equipment to get her out through the ice and snow...

Don't get me wrong... I wish I had a garage to keep my boat... But that would never influence what boat I buy....

Edited by Mike Rousseau

I've been storing my boat outside for 20 yrs with no issues. All my issues happen when I'm using the boat, not storing it.

I live in an area where I don't have to worry too much about getting ripped off too much, but jacking the trailer up and. Taking the wheels off helps with theft!

S.

But would you let indoor storage dictate what boat you buy...???

I bought what I wanted and found a solution.

I've been storing boats indoors for years now so I guess it's a matter of deciding that's your storage method and buying the boat you want. It gets to a point where the boat is too big for the garage but still small enough for the driveway and the cost of a wrap exceeds the cost of indoor storage. I don't want to waste my time building a frame and tarp system or keeping snow and ice off.