Aluminum boat storage outside

Bigfisherman

If my 2 cents count my boat that is close to 20 years old has always been stored outside. It has been shrink wrapped annually since new. Mothballs help but I block the rear opening with a small tarp, very tightly. A cover or tarp not tight can rub against the vehicle or boat thousands of times a day if flapping in the wind and take the paint off to the metal or wear right into the fiberglass. Happened to a buddy years ago when he put a loose tarp on his brand new Alfa. When he took the tarp off in the spring the tarp had taken the paint off to the steel on the fenders hood and boot.

I hate storing anything in a barn, unless you want your wiring harness and cables used as nesting materials for rats and mice. Never a barn. Learned that lesson the hard way when I had to rewire my Harley 12 years ago. Yes I put in a box of mothballs.

A good coat of wax before storage is key for me. I oil the trailer by hand, takes a few minutes at most. I park it on the lawn and done like dinner. I might jack it this year and store the new trailer tires.

Rich makes a good point they are made for the outdoors. As far as protecting a 20K or more investment, look in your drive way and count the money of the cars and trucks you have when bought new. Probably close to 80 grand for 2 vehicles new.

I hate storing anything in a barn, unless you want your wiring harness and cables used as nesting materials for rats and mice. Never a barn. Learned that lesson the hard way when I had to rewire my Harley 12 years ago. Yes I put in a box of mothballs.

Perhaps you missed my reply earlier in this thread where I said I stored my boat in a barn for many years with absolutely ZERO issues, along with 6 or 7 other boats as well.

Just because you had issues doesn't mean everyone does.

Do you honestly think your boat will be safe from critters just because it's stored outside under a tarp or even shrink wrapped ??

I know a guy who thought the same as you, that barns were unsafe places to store boats, so he left his beside his cottage and covered it. When he opened it up in the spring the raccoons had destroyed the interior.

Critters can get in anywhere, specially mice, so we just do what we can and hope for the best.

Perhaps you missed my reply earlier in this thread where I said I stored my boat in a barn for many years with absolutely ZERO issues, along with 6 or 7 other boats as well.

Just because you had issues doesn't mean everyone does.

Do you honestly think your boat will be safe from critters just because it's stored outside under a tarp or even shrink wrapped ??

I know a guy who thought the same as you, that barns were unsafe places to store boats, so he left his beside his cottage and covered it. When he opened it up in the spring the raccoons had destroyed the interior.

Critters can get in anywhere, specially mice, so we just do what we can and hope for the best.

Im not sure what you're upset about here.. he does it differently and you believe that's wrong?

Im not sure what you're upset about here.. he does it differently and you believe that's wrong?

I didn't say he was wrong at all Rich, go back and read what I said again.

The man said to never store anything in a barn because he had trouble with mice, I simply stated that I had used a barn for many years without ANY issues.

Is there any reason why a boat would need to be "professionally wrapped" for outside storage as some have recommended?

I have stored mine outdoors under a tarp without any issues. I have a 14' 2x6" board that I use along with some brackets designed to make horses. This makes are very solid 'A' frame for the tarp.

Lew,

I didn't miss your post, I just don't agree with you, at all. I'm glad you haven't had any issues with storing in a barn. After I got the bill for my year old bike I swore I would never store in a barn again. It was the first time I ever had damage to a vehicle in 40 years storing cars, bikes and boats all outdoors. I don't have the bike anymore and still say never store in a farmers barn. The next year I stored it in the sunroom to my wife's utter delight. Better than storing it in the dinning room we never used. All the guys thought it looked pretty cool siting in the corner, the women less so.

My opinion only Lew.

Johnny D

have been doing the barn thing for years. Only problem I ever had was birds pooping on my cheap tarp that covered the good one. I did jack it up and take the tires off to deter theft. My sister (where I keep the boat) goes away for the whole month of December. I figured better safe than sorry.

Is there any reason why a boat would need to be "professionally wrapped" for outside storage as some have recommended?

I have stored mine outdoors under a tarp without any issues. I have a 14' 2x6" board that I use along with some brackets designed to make horses. This makes are very solid 'A' frame for the tarp.

Pro wraps are pretty much worry free.

Woven tarps (typical blue and brown variety) get thin and weak from UV damage and don't like to be stretched over corners. Without stretching tight, snow tends to stick and you have to keep an eye on it.

That's not to say you can't build a good frame and use a quality tarp. I elect to store indoors and save the build time, material expense and storage of materials in the off season.