Hockey thread 2013 2014 season

muskymatt

Winning 5 in a row and still the bottom of the barrel, that's something to be proud of! :) How many did we lose to get down to Ottawas level? 12 out of 14? heh.

Ottawa sure showed us how it's done!

(This is also way to much hockey talk for July, lol!!!)

Edited by BillM

I was a Leaf fan when Burns was coach----Burns knew how to beat Montreal in 93----but was'nt in the cards with Gretzky

They had Dougie---Wendall--and my ole buddy at right wing Dave Andrychuk----then it all went to ...you know where

they got Reichel---then I'm a Sens fan----till I'm deep 6 now

• 2 weeks later...

Leafs made another change in the front office today by firing their GM's and hiring Kyle Dubas from the Sault Greyhounds.

Good move thinks I. :)

http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/2014/07/22/maple_leafs_shake_up_front_office_hire_stats_guru_kyle_dubas_28_as_assistant_gm.html

Maple Leafs shake up front office, hire stats guru Kyle Dubas, 28, as assistant GM

The Maple Leafs fired assistant GMs Claude Loiselle and Dave Poulin and hired Kyle Dubas, dubbed by many as the Billy Beane of hockey.

• Share on Facebook

• spreddit6.gif

kyle_dubas_1.jpg.size.xxlarge.promo.jpg

VIEW 5 PHOTOS

zoom

JAMES EGAN PHOTOGRAPHY / SPECIAL TO THE STAR

Kyle Dubas has been named assistant GM of the Maple Leafs.

By: Kevin McGran Sports Reporter, Published on Tue Jul 22 2014

The Maple Leafs nearly completely transposed their front office by firing assistant general managers Claude Loiselle and Dave Poulin and hiring Kyle Dubas, dubbed by many as the Billy Beane of hockey.

The hiring of Dubas, the 28-year-old GM of the OHL Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds, is tantamount to a turnaround in the direction of the team to one that favours the advanced-stat approach that is gaining traction in the sport.

“Kyle is a young executive that has made a strong name for himself in hockey with a progressive style, work ethic and maturation beyond his years,” said Toronto Maple Leafs president Brendan Shanahan said in a press release. “He has a fresh approach that we feel will benefit our club for years to come.”

Beane’s stats-based approach to baseball management helped keep the under-funded Oakland Athletics in playoff contention and turned into the movie Moneyball.

FROM THE ARCHIVES:

Dubas, a native of Sault Ste. Marie was a hockey operations assistant at the age of 14 with the Greyhounds, and then later worked as a scout for the club while enrolled at Brock University’s Sports Management Program. His grandfather, Walter, served as head coach of the Greyhounds from 1960-1967.

Upon graduation, Dubas became the youngest player agent certified by the NHL Players’ Association with Uptown Sports Management.

“The chance to work for the Toronto Maple Leafs is like a dream come true,” said Dubas in the release. “I’m truly excited to begin helping this team win and learn from men like Brendan Shanahan and Dave Nonis. I’m very thankful for this opportunity, but equally grateful to the Greyhounds organization and the city of Sault Ste. Marie for helping put me in this position. The Leafs are focused on building a team that will enjoy long-term success and I am excited to play a role in it.”

Dubas took the Greyhounds, a hockey organization that finished out of the playoffs in his first season, to finishing first in the OHL’s West Division last season with a 44-17-2-5 record.

“We’re excited about the addition of an up-and-coming hockey executive in Kyle,” said GM Dave Nonis. “He is an innovative thinker that will bring enthusiasm and impressive abilities to our club. His work ethic, character and demonstrated leadership in Sault Ste. Marie make for a valuable combination that will certainly have a positive impact on our organization in many ways.”

I like it.

Sorry Bill,I disagree,We need good players,not has been now.The richest team in the NHL,and they hire a 28 year old?.Nothing against him,but we need to start now .Still don't get Shanny and Nonis,really doing the same job.They best produce this year with that added payroll.Again JMO! Please don't say they are rebuiling,because that's what they have been doing forever.

Edited by davey buoy

Sorry Bill,I disagree,We need good players,not has been now.The richest team in the NHL,and they hire a 28 year old?.Nothing against him,but we need to start now .Still don't get Shanny and Nonis,really doing the same job.They best produce this year with that added payroll.Again JMO! Please don't say they are rebuiling,because that's what they have been doing forever.

What does the assistant GM have to do with 'has been' players? Look at what this kid did with the Sault Greyhound last year. Proof enough for me... Anything is better then what's happened the past 5 years, lol!