Hockey thread 2013 2014 season

muskymatt

this is true, dion is a top tier defenseman but they just put so much on his shoulders he comes under scrutiny for everything he does.

"Looking at the bigger picture, however, this past season the Maple Leafs were outscored by 16 goals at five-on-five; but outscored their opponents by four goals (56 goals for, 52 goals against) with Phaneuf on the ice. In addition to leading the Maple Leafs in ice-time by a wide margin and facing some of the toughest matchups of any individual player in the league, Phaneuf also managed to score eight goals and contribute 31 points in 80 games. In short, Phaneuf remains a credible top-of-the-lineup defenseman. "

At what point is motivation the responsibility of the individual players and not the coach? What motivating Toews, St. Louis, Getslaf or Parise this year? I guess they'd all be average guys without the coach there to maximize their efforts and talents. Not likely. I believe their success stems from pride and work effort. So easy to blame the coach but there is no way he's the stand alone problem. You can drop in any Jack Adams winner and he'll struggle with some of those cry baby, spoiled, under achieving brats that try like hell when they're in the mood and cruise around when they're not. Does Carlyle need to go? Maybe, but as soon as you have a system where guys can sign long term, big money contracts whereas the boss gets fired when they under-perform you'll have a very skewed sense of reality. The motivation should be pride and the word millions behind your salary. But hey, they're not in the real world.

Would the possible market for Dion have been better without the new deal? :dunno:

Maybe Burke will take him back in Calgary? :whistling:

I hope so,sorry some of you guys,good ridense to bad rubish.He's not working out here,IMO.

Edited by davey buoy

If Phaneuf stays they have to keep his ice time down to 20 minutes a game. He plays better with reduced minutes. Crazy they sign him to long term contract and now they want to dump him. Sometimes I think the media makes this crap up just so they can talk about the Ontario teams.

If Phaneuf stays they have to keep his ice time down to 20 minutes a game. He plays better with reduced minutes. Crazy they sign him to long term contract and now they want to dump him. Sometimes I think the media makes this crap up just so they can talk about the Ontario teams.

I dunno, I think he plays better when he's in the 25-27min range.. Get rid of Phanuef, get big Joe from SJ and you've got your leadership problems solved.