2 Stroke Oil - what your thoughts?

Nemo

I use the oil recomended by my engine manufacturer. I used to run the cheap stuff, until I got real bad carbon build up, so much so that it plugged the exaust port on my engine, then I looked on the oil bottle and realized the ash content in the cheap oil is way higher than the recomended oil. The good stuff is more $, but worth it in the long run I think. I think I paid $40 for 4L, and it usually lasts me a full season in my 40HP. Its the only lu;bricant in there, so may as well get the good stuff.

I have a mariner engine, and use merc oil thru it. Less smoke, and not as much carbon build up.

Sinker

I started using Amsoil Synthetic saber or something like that..you can use it at 100 to 1 no matter what you motor takes.

my auger take 25 to 1 but amsoil at 100 to 1 ran great and same with my 2.5 hp it states 50 to 1 but saber can be ran at 100 to 1 and sure runs nice

Synthetic oil is nice because it has less smoke & it doesn't separate from the gas when stored. Regular oil will separate from the gas when stored for long periods & cause the fuel system to get gummed up.

I started using Amsoil Synthetic saber or something like that..you can use it at 100 to 1 no matter what you motor takes.

my auger take 25 to 1 but amsoil at 100 to 1 ran great and same with my 2.5 hp it states 50 to 1 but saber can be ran at 100 to 1 and sure runs nice

If your engine takes 25 to 1...you use the 100to1...what is the mix rate per gallon???? I am confused

I have been using Amsoil 16 yrs in all sorts of 2 strokes from weedeaters to high performance race motors on jet skiis with out single oil related failure.I usually mix it 80 to one,burns clean and doesn't smoke.I run quicksilver in my merc with automatic mixing but if it was a premix motor I would run Amsoil in it.The only down side is if the motor is going to sit for a while you should fog it or put some regular oil in the cylinder to coat the walls because the Amsoil does not stick to the walls very well and rust may develope.Hope this helps.

Joe

They key question here is HOW OLD are your motors? if they are pre 1960 I wouldn't go 100 to 1 maybe 50 to 1 but no less.If the 2 hp is air cooled I would stick with the ratio that you have been using even though you might switch to synthetic. Check out this thread from Iboats on mix ratios.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=158072

vance

Thanks Guys.

Merc 15hp 1994 50:1,

and the

2 hp Yamha is 100:1 and is a 2000. Funny the guy at the Marina said to use synthetic on this one but at 50:1 not 100:1 and it would last forever but I find it is smoky with lots of crap out the exhaust. It is water cooled as well.

Just remember the oil ratio is for wide open throtle running,if you are trolling all the time or running slow you don't need that much oil.I have a 40 merc oil injected that I have taken back to the dealer twice for low oil consumption and he says you are not driving it fast enough to need alot of oil and he is right because if I run WOT the oil tank level plummets.

vance

when i switched from dino oil to synthetic in the snowmobile really noticed a difference in performance hardly ever fouled a power valve with the amsoil or blue marble oils.

Now everything i own is 4 stroke. just use yamalube in it

Edited by ecmilley

When my 1985 50 hp Johnson VRO was new and under warranty I used oil sold with the Johnson name. But for the last 20 years or so I have used Walmart's brand outboard oil. It called Tech something and cost about $8 a gallon. I have not had ANY motor problems what so ever using this oil. I do a LOT of trolling with this motor on Lake Erie walleyes and have not had a carbon build up in all these years. A LOT of the special oils are only special in name and price.

Nemo,

I've been using the Esso oil in both my sled (04) Easymix and boat (72) Outboard formula for the last three years.It is a synthetic blend,Doesn't smoke like normal oil and doesn't rip your lungs out either.Good to mix to 100 to 1 or for oil injection.Haven't changed my plugs in two years on either.Do yourself a favour and look at your local National Grocers if you have one nearby.Most I have paid is 3.99 liter.Sometimes it's 3.49.Your Esso station will want 5.75+ tax.

Kerry

I have used amsoil for three years now and today I checked my plugs and put them back in -the same plugs for 3 years-I use my motor alot and the plugs look almost as good as the new set I have waiting to go in. :D:rolleyes:

vance