Lake Trout Report

4x4bassin

Last week I was up in the Parry Sound area doing a little lake trout jigging , well the weather was not the best for jigging with high winds so I had to resort to some bass/pike fishing in the back bays out of the wind but in the back of my mind I was wishing for some light winds so I could go jigging for these deep water greys . On the last morning I got up grabbed a coffee , took the dog for her morning duties and we headed out to perfect jigging weather . The lake had finally calmed down and I felt good about my chances . I tied on the bucktail and started my hunt for the "hooks" on the finder. To anyone that is not familiar with this type of fishing , I like to call it "lake trout hunting" just drive around in known laker haunts watching your finder for the big hooks . I don't waste my time with hooks on bottom but wait until I see one about 10-20 ft off bottom (those guys are feeding) and an even better situation is when you see 2 or more hooks grouped together . When you drop a jig down on a small pack of suspended lake trout it is basicly a race to the jig , so hang on !!!!

Anyways I started to mark some lake trout on the finder and started my jigging , well the lake trout were chasing the bucktail but were not hitting it , I kept this up for a couple hours but no takers , there was something they didn't like on that bucktail so I changed it up to something a little smaller . I tied on a 3/4 oz darter head jig and 4" gulp minnow thinking the lakers wanted something a little smaller . Well I was bang on in my theory , the next drop I had a lake trout chase and hammer the jig and for the next 2 hours I had some of the best lake trout fishing I have ever had.

Here are some pictures of that fine morning and once again I was by myself with the dog so the pictures are not the best . Nice upgrade for Team 2 !

P7250339_zps27c630a4.jpg

This picture shows how thick these guys are

P7250342_zps0261a449.jpg

A couple others

P7250343_zps4e10ef52.jpg

P7250347_zpsbb15f975.jpg

Here is a screen shot of one of the lake trout screaming out of the pack to hit my jig

P7250344_zps6e15d2c5.jpg

This is the bait of choice that morning , a 3/4 oz darter and 4"gulp minnow . I touched up the darter a little bit to give it a little flash !

P7250348_zpsc09d2ab3.jpg

All in all a great couple hours with me going 9 for 10 between the hours of 9-11 am and the biggest one being 28" and the rest just slightly under that. These lakers beat me up that morning to say the least .

Thanks for looking and I hope to have another report in a couple weeks with a back country/atv trip planned :canadian:

Edited by 4x4bassin

Solid report 4X4. Enjoyed that. And agree bud, there's just a big rush when those hooks turn to rockets on ya.

I don't waste my time with hooks on bottom but wait until I see one about 10-20 ft off bottom (those guys are feeding) and an even better situation is when you see 2 or more hooks grouped together . When you drop a jig down on a small pack of suspended lake trout it is basicly a race to the jig , so hang on !!!!

Are those Greys ever thick! I'll bet they're strong as hell too. Must have been a riot man. Good stuff for sure. Nice fish.

Real nice to see a good informative report like this. Not being all secretive and strutting yourself. Tks a lot. Sure makes me want to leave the lead core outfits at home for a change but old habits die hard it seems lol. Last time I went out for Lakers I at least had a jigging rig ready to go but they were hitting the gang troll well and then it got too windy. Oh well...

I noticed how you have your darter head tied with the line pointed forward. Is this is on purpose for the proper action? If so, do you glue it in place or just check it once in a while to make sure it doesn't slip upward?

Good pics too. Cheers

Edited by smitty55

Looks like you were jigging them from a pontoon boat...that is the life

Yep , when i'm on this lake I use the inlaws pontoon . Very comfy !

Are those Greys ever thick! I'll bet they're strong as hell too. Must have been a riot man. Good stuff for sure. Nice fish.

Real nice to see a good informative report like this. Not being all secretive and strutting yourself. Tks a lot. Sure makes me want to leave the lead core outfits at home for a change but old habits die hard it seems lol. Last time I went out for Lakers I at least had a jigging rig ready to go but they were hitting the gang troll well and then it got too windy. Oh well...

I noticed how you have your darter head tied with the line pointed forward. Is this is on purpose for the proper action? If so, do you glue it in place or just check it once in a while to make sure it doesn't slip upward?

Good pics too. Cheers

Thanks ,No I just tie that jig on and drop her down on the lakers head !

Right on

whats your technique for working the bait?

No real technique when they are aggressive , just drop the jig down get them to move on it and start reeling ! But when they are a bit slow you have to tease them a bit by reeling up and dropping it like a yo-yo .