Algonquin Report May 9-13

solopaddler

Well, it was an experience that's for sure! We all learned a lot and had a blast doing it, but I'll tell you I thought it would be way easier than the reality of the situation was. Filming a show, especially for several days in the bush is a LOT of work!

Anyhow, we arrived at the Wolf Den just outside the West gate along hwy. 60 Wed. evening. It's a great (cheap) place to spend the night before heading into the interior.

100_0995.jpg

We had a really cool old log cabin to stay in

100_0991.jpg

These were the communal bathrooms. The first 2 are pretty self explanatory, but we were wondering about the 3rd one! :D

100_0994.jpg

We tried to do an interview with Ben and Robin Wed. evening and found out much to our dismay that one of the wireless microphones wasn't working. Amazingly, Ben used to be an electronics tech and he actually ripped the thing apart, soldered a couple of connections and fixed it! Pretty much saved our bacon as only having one functioning microphone would've been disastrous.

Our trip started at the landing Thursday morning loading all our gear into the water taxi

100_0998.jpg

After a 10km portage we made it to the first lake (that's Dan in the bow)

100_1001.jpg

We had one more short portage before we made it to our destination lake, set up camp and cooked an awesome dinner!

100_1042.jpg

100_1011.jpg

100_1009.jpg

100_1013.jpg

The next day we made our way over to a nearby river to film some footage and do some fishing. Along the way I caught the worlds smallest Brook Trout :D

100_1014.jpg

It really was an incredibly beautiful river

100_1015.jpg

100_1016.jpg

We caught TONS of Brookies this size, it was a blast!

100_1017.jpg

Release shot

100_1020.jpg

We set up along side the river to film Dan butterfly filleting our trout

100_1018.jpg

100_1021.jpg

Once that was done, we filmed the trout being cooked on the grill (they were delicious!)

100_1024.jpg

Here's a shot of the scenery heading back to camp

100_1025.jpg

The next day we decided to head to a beach at the north end of the lake to check it out

100_1027.jpg

100_1028.jpg

Amazingly we found the remnants of a wolf kill, finding the spot where they pulled the deer down

100_1029.jpg

Also found the remains of an old ranger cabin way back in the bush hidden from everything, it was pretty cool too (sorry, no pic's).

When we did have time to fish on our lake, we caught a lot of lake trout, most of them around this size

100_1035.jpg

100_1038.jpg

100_1039.jpg

Our cameraman Steve even caught a few!

100_1044.jpg

Here's our support guy Bruce landing at the campsite with Steve. Bruce is Dan's brother in law and works for the M.N.R. in Bancroft.

A more competent, knowledgable woodsman I've never met. He was an incredible asset to have and help make this happen!

100_1043.jpg

Here's Dan and Bruce cutting wood

100_1045.jpg

Finally, a beaver dam right at the lake. There were hundreds of suckers spawning in the little riffle flowing into the lake and a bunch of trout that followed them in to feed on the sucker spawn :D

100_1026.jpg

It really was a great experience. The weather was picture perfect, the bugs were'nt too bad, and we've now got 7 hours of footage to edit down into 23 minutes! :D I'm as excited as anyone to see what the final product will be like, 'cause I really don't have a clue!

Next film shoot will be on June 7th in the Armstrong area. I'm really looking forward to that one and I think (hope) some of the problems we encountered will have been ironed out!

Cheers, Mike

Right on! I was waiting to hear how you fared with the trout up in Algonquin. Looks like another incredible adventure, and I'm sure you'll be very pleased with the final cut of the show. Think of it as taking 23 minutes of highlight reel from your 7+ hours footage, it will be great!

When and where is your next shoot going to take place?

Tony

Thank's for the kind words everyone!

Bill and Jen, to answer your question, at this point the show hasn't been sold yet. We've got some serious interest from a couple of networks, but no decisions are going to be made until our "official" pilot is produced sometime in late June and they've got something to see...I'll let you know as soon as I find out.

tony, the episode in June is going to start with us portaging our gear into Union Station in Toronto. From there we'll travel 22 hours north and get dropped off basically in the middle of nowhere alongside the tracks west of Armstrong. The route I've chosen has a nice mix of larger lakes, a river with some fantastic rapids (filled with walleye :D ), and some really cool back lakes. The adjacent back lakes are neat 'cause they're too small for planes to land in, and aren't part of any logical canoe route, so very, very few people go in there. They'll be as untouched as it's possible to be in this day and age.

For what it's worth (I think) Breakfast Television is likely going to do a little segment with us on Front Street on June 7th when we're portaging our gear into the train station. I'll confirm that soon ;)

BTW, I just noticed that my pictures of the Wolf Den are pretty dark. The 3 bathroom signs are : Does, Bucks, and Bucks & Does. Not sure if you can make it out, but we thought it was funny :D

Mike,

nice report and I look forward to seeing the video.

I was in the fishing party that met up with you guys at the Dickson Lake portage endpoint both Thursday and Sunday. And then we chatted in the Opeongo store. My name's Mike as well and I'm the guy with the 2 boys. I'm still coming down from the trip we had, can't wait to get out again.

Mike,

nice report and I look forward to seeing the video.

I was in the fishing party that met up with you guys at the Dickson Lake portage endpoint both Thursday and Sunday. And then we chatted in the Opeongo store. My name's Mike as well and I'm the guy with the 2 boys. I'm still coming down from the trip we had, can't wait to get out again.

Hey Mike, it was a pleasure meeting you and your party. What I'd like to know is do you have any pic's of the huge Brook Trout you guys caught Sunday morning? I'd love to see it! For everyone elses benefit it was caught fly fishing and was 22 or 23" long I believe. Very impressive! (these guys definitely know their stuff! ;) )

Hey Mike, it was a pleasure meeting you and your party. What I'd like to know is do you have any pic's of the huge Brook Trout you guys caught Sunday morning? I'd love to see it! For everyone elses benefit it was caught fly fishing and was 22 or 23" long I believe. Very impressive! (these guys definitely know their stuff! ;) )

I'm also waiting to see the picture as I never got to see the fish either. The Photo was taken with a film camera so we will have to wait a day or so.

here is a picture of one I caught on thursday, the second largest of our trip it was ~20" but fairly thin.

IMG_2009.JPG

Not a great picture but the fish looks OK.

The pictures and the post are great. Hopefully that's some indication of the show in works.

I think Pete Bowman and Marc Travers tried outdoor shows that didn't work due to lack of fishing,

Survivorman they were not. Keep fishing in the forefront and you'll have a winner. 23 minutes ain't much.

Good luck,

ehg

One very nice report Mike. As I was reading you you talking about cooking up an awsome meal ... I was already thinking of pics. Sure enough ... you didn't disappoint. I'll best that was a great tastin' meal. Man I'd love to do something like that some day. Thanks for sharing.

Fantastic report. Thanks for sharing. Now you've got me all excited for my forthcoming camping trip to Algonquin. Just hope the weather and fishing stays as good as that for us and those bugs stay away.

Thanks and good luck with the tv show.

Mike. I think you're spoiled. lol. No more complaining about how tough it was. C'mon... how tough IS it going to Algonquin to camp, fish, and take pictures.

Although, you'd have to carry most people after the first fifth of that portage into lake D.